Single Player FPS Set in WWII North Africa?

Started by Gusington, July 01, 2021, 09:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Greetings all.

Anyone have any suggestions for a solid FPS with a SP campaign set in North Africa during WWII?

I see that Sniper Elite III is pretty much what I just described - however I have played a ton of Sniper Elite and want something more.

Is there anything else?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Would you believe I have no recollection of Mare Nostrum but it is in my Steam library?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

Battlefield series.  1942 and Battlefield 5 have Africa maps.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

The old Medal of Honor series had an expansion called Breakthrough which was not only set in North Africa (and Italy) but also was the only truly contiguous campaign in the first series.

The main game had a bunch of different maps connected by a loose story of a special operative, who somehow got involved in the D-Day landings like any other 11-B bulletstopper  ::) ; the 2nd expansion, Spearhead had a bunch of different maps without a specific character connecting them. Breakthrough was by far my favorite of the set.

Incidentally, I ripped Michael Giaccano's music from those games, deleted the cue-bites (featuring only parts of the tracks) and the repeats (from one game to the next), and mixed them with the music from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow -- they work very well together!  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Regarding Mare Nostrum (not to be confused with the ancient ship-fighting sim ;) ): while it requires Red Orchestra 2 to play, Rising Storm 2 has its own mod Desert Rats which ports this expansion over there; apparently any further development to the mod will happen there, too. DR doesn't seem to be released yet.

Maybe more importantly, I'm not sure that MN (or DR) has a single-player campaign.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^Yeah I have been looking and I don't think they do.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Hidden and Dangerous 2 has some good levels set in N. Africa.  What could be more fun than a jeep full of SAS psychopaths shooting up a bunch of hapless Italians at their desert airbase?  Answer: missing the German pilot on the first pass, then having him get in a Bf 109 and trying to fight him off with your Vickers MG while he strafes your jeep.

Father Ted

Day of Infamy has IIRC some North Africa maps.  It is primarily a MP game, but you can take on bots offline I think.

Gusington

Thanks SDR and Father, I will check them out.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd