Main Menu

Steam Deck?

Started by Jarhead0331, July 16, 2021, 11:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Honestly, the more news I see about this, the less and less excited I get.  It really just seems like a somewhat crappier version of the Switch but for PC games that you don't wanna play on PC.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MiniHexer

Quote from: al_infierno on July 20, 2021, 05:14:24 PM
Honestly, the more news I see about this, the less and less excited I get.  It really just seems like a somewhat crappier version of the Switch but for PC games that you don't wanna play on PC.

thats one way to look at it, but as a glass half full guy i see it like this, all my steam collection that i have bought can now be played on a handheld increasing the value of my steam collection, also its likely to be mobile as steam can run offline for a few days, and if its mobile you can take it on holiday or take it on trips in the car. you can play it at night before you sleep in bed.

al_infierno

So did anyone pick one of these up?  Walking back on my last comment, the impression I get is that this is actually a superior piece of hardware to the Switch.  I'm definitely considering getting one.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sigwolf

I'm just waiting for the first-gen beta testers to work out the wrinkles.  :buck2: Once version 2 is released I'll probably grab one.

Jarhead0331

Someone tried to trade me one on OfferUp for my Radeon 6900XT. I declined, but I am certainly curious.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sigwolf

Looks like I may be waiting a while for the Deck 2, but I'm going to hold fast...

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/no-steam-deck-2-for-little-bit-longer-says-valve

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Sigwolf on December 15, 2022, 02:57:50 PM
Looks like I may be waiting a while for the Deck 2, but I'm going to hold fast...

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/no-steam-deck-2-for-little-bit-longer-says-valve

Looks like 2023 might be a heavy business travel year for me. My lenovo legion gaming laptop is just a little heavy to be fun carrying around. My work laptop is a definite 'no-go' for any type of personal software. So while I am still a little skeptical, a Steam Deck might actually work for the road.

It seems to be optimized for console type games. Any thoughts on how it plays with strategy games? Can you play Terra Invicta with no issues?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

al_infierno

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 15, 2022, 03:25:54 PM
Quote from: Sigwolf on December 15, 2022, 02:57:50 PM

Looks like 2023 might be a heavy business travel year for me. My lenovo legion gaming laptop is just a little heavy to be fun carrying around. My work laptop is a definite 'no-go' for any type of personal software. So while I am still a little skeptical, a Steam Deck might actually work for the road.

It seems to be optimized for console type games. Any thoughts on how it plays with strategy games? Can you play Terra Invicta with no issues?

Welp, I pulled the trigger so in a couple weeks I'll be able to tell you.  Maybe even sooner if the rumors I'm hearing are true about super-fast shipping.

My impression is similar to yours about it being optimized for console style games.  That said, if you don't mind taking the docking station and some cables with you, it looks like you could hook it up to your work laptop to basically "stream" from the Deck onto your laptop screen and peripherals without installing any no-no software on your laptop.  Not 100% sure how well that works, but the capability is theoretically there.

Terra Invicta is listed on the Store page as being fully Steam Deck compatible, but not sure how comfortable it would be to play with the handheld controls.

- MengJiao

Gusington

I am really intrigued by the deck but I fear I would do nothing but play games 24 hours a day if I had that kind of portability. Especially action RPGs and similar...games like that seem perfect for it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I'm finding myself looking at this again.  Any updated impressions?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

A new guy at work is a gamer and he got a Steam deck a few months ago. He absolutely loves it for action games and RPGs. He does not play sims or strategy games.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I was reading through the whole thread and I'm kinda with Minihexer.  I think I'd play a lot more of my untouched Steam library if I had a little handheld system I could play on the couch.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

al_infierno

Quote from: Toonces on January 30, 2024, 04:41:05 PMI'm finding myself looking at this again.  Any updated impressions?

I haven't played my deck in a while, but it's a fine piece of hardware and I'd say I got my money's worth out of it..  The battery life is a bit on the short side, but it's way more powerful than the Switch and, as you mentioned, it gives me a chance to play lots of games in my backlog that are just not quite as compelling on a keyboard and mouse.  Vampire Survivors being a pretty good example.

- MengJiao