Marvel's Black Widow

Started by Sir Slash, July 09, 2021, 11:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Going to see this one tonight with the Son-In-Law and grandboys. In 3-D. Because it's Black Widow. Any questions?  :D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

My younger daughter (12) wanted to go see this without any adults, just her and her friends. Would be cool to hear if you think that is appropriate or not.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Great film I thought, lots of action, lots of Estrogen, lots of Girl Bonding. Only 3 men in the movie and 2 are bad guys. The third is for comic relief so there's that. Not the best of the Marvel Bunch, but still very good and better than anything DC. One end scene at the very end and could be the best scene of the whole movie, don't miss it. The 3-D was worth the extra price and was very well done. And not just the Black Widow ass shots. No sex, no nudity, and no drug use so I can't think of why it wouldn't be appropriate for a 12 year old. Some violence of course but it is a Super Hero movie after all. Almost no blood. I liked it!  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Four guys?.... I recall three or four guys, but two are good. (Good-ish.)

Bro and I took the Microniece (age 12) to go see it yesterday. Language was a little harsher than I was expecting from the MCU, in the sense of being more prevalent. The Widow's lethal (?) sexuality (for which she and the program were named) comes up exactly no times, so if you splurge for 3D that's more important for the action scenes.  ::) The girl-bonding is more sister-type than, cough, otherwise, but kinnnnd of leans that way a little (since they aren't really sisters after all). Their dysfunctional pseudo-family is sad and adorable.

If you're a big fan of Taskmaster from the comics, don't get your hopes up: the character is ABSOLUTELY not the same, only the costume (mostly) and names (real and code, mostly), and special ability (mostly). But room is technically left for a more comics-accurate character to show up later if any MCU writers care to try. (Even the same movie character could technically become more like the character, personally, in the comics.)

Microniece told her own older sister that she cried three or four times, which Niecemus Prime sarcastically called "frightening". ;) (NP is not a big action sci-fi/fantasy fan outside of Star Wars more or less, and the Princess Bride.) Microniece called it "a little darker" (her emphasis) than other MCU films, but understood that's to be expected from Tasha's backstory.

The film mostly looks very good, and the underlying plot is taken straight from two non-Connery Bond films (which the film lampshades by having Tasha be a fan of Bond films to the point of knowing the dialogue by heart. But primarily the villains!  :smitten: ) I won't spoil which ones. Mission:Impossible vibes are not absent either, including some of the behind-the-scenes creators from the Tom Cruise movie series. (The composer for example worked on MI:Fallout.)

There is practically no connection to the MCU films in the plot, but there's some side-talk about Tasha's friends. (...I just realized I'm using her comics abbreviation rather than "Nat" from the films. But that's what I grew up with.) Well, not until the post-credit scene anyway, which takes a slightly different path going forward than might be expected. (The post-credit really is after the credits this time. No mid-credit scene.) As far as Marvel canon goes, you'll get a better idea what happened during the Budapest incident she and Clint often allude to, although Clint doesn't show up in person at any time.

The two main actresses have never been stellar in their careers, but do try hard. The main supporting actors, being more experienced character actors, fare better. But the story of the sisters works as well as the actresses can make it, and I was reasonably invested.

A fair amount of the action is shot live using live props rather than CGI, although if you've seen any trailers you'll have some idea where the CG budget gets splurged all over the screen. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Yeah, 3 guys pretty much. Thunderbolt Ross and the main villain, then there's Red Guardian for comic relief. That's it except for the girls. Not an overtly Girls Rule movie but there's for sure a sisterhood of the exploited girl orphans thing going on. At least the comic relief works pretty well.  O0

JasonPratt

Ah, I was thinking of Nat's merc supplier, who has a crush on her, and despite being teased as Taskmaster turns out to be perfectly good(ish) and loyal after all -- at least on par with Red Guardian. So at least two good guys. (He's even where Team Cap gets their quinjet for Av3:IW.) (Despite the fact that they already had one from the end of Civil War, which is how Cap and Bucky get to Siberia.  ::) ::)  ::) )

Taskmaster might or might not count as a third good-ish guy for various reasons. ;)

[spoiler]All the time Tasky is being Tasky, he's played by a stunt guy, with only two brief unmasks toward the end showing the character is a woman. Oddly, not a trans-man which I might have thought the writers would take a shot at for the diversity marketing points! -- but maybe they didn't want to associate the trans-rights movement with a parent forcing their child to be another sex/gender. But aside from the name and an approximation of Tony Masters' abilities, there's no character of TM in the film anyway, regardless of genetics and reproductive organs. Might she become an Antonia Masters character later? Still could happen, theoretically, I suppose. But I'm not holding my breath.[/spoiler]
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I forgot about him his role was so brief. I would like to see some alternate universe head to head action between Cap. and Red Guardian.  :bd: