Main Menu

Highfleet

Started by Jarhead0331, August 23, 2021, 10:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

We've talked about this game in the Microprose thread, but I don't think it has it's own separate space.

It is an interesting game with great artistic style and narrative content and the world in which the game is based is very unique and interesting...however, I've found the game very difficult and the combat to be fairly limited.  For instance, I don't like that you can only bring one of your ships onto the map at once, whereas the enemy can bring several. I also think the battle space is too small. Still, it is definitely worth a look.

I came across this video of a custom ship build and HOLY CRAP! It's a monster.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Highfleet a being actively patched, right? I'm curious what the developer's and Microprose' future plans are for it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Commander Cody

I wonder if they're going to come out with a non-epilepsy version. That was painful to watch.

Cheers,
CC

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Commander Cody on August 25, 2021, 03:54:22 AM
I wonder if they're going to come out with a non-epilepsy version. That was painful to watch.

Cheers,
CC

It didn't bother me...until you mentioned it. Thanks.  :coolsmiley:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

W8taminute

The only contribution I'm going to make to this thread is I hate this game with a violent and I mean a violent passion.  Oh how I wish I could get my money back. 

Read my Steam review if you're curious about knowing why but if not do yourself a big favor.  Don't buy this game if you are on the fence.  It is absolutely a frustrating, repetitive, and rage inducing twitch fest.  Can't believe I fell for this brilliantly executed marketing on a game of sorrow and woe.   
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

solops

So, I did good getting Airships: Conquer the Skies instead, right?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

Wow W8...this is unlike you.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: solops on August 30, 2021, 03:35:51 PM
So, I did good getting Airships: Conquer the Skies instead, right?

Putting aside Highfleet, Airships is awesome and you can't go wrong.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

Quote from: W8taminute on August 30, 2021, 02:51:44 PM
The only contribution I'm going to make to this thread is I hate this game with a violent and I mean a violent passion.  Oh how I wish I could get my money back. 

Read my Steam review if you're curious about knowing why but if not do yourself a big favor.  Don't buy this game if you are on the fence.  It is absolutely a frustrating, repetitive, and rage inducing twitch fest.  Can't believe I fell for this brilliantly executed marketing on a game of sorrow and woe.

I can't see your review on Steam, would you mind copying it here or summarizing your thoughts?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Believe this is it.......

I hate this game and regret wasting my hard earned money on this factory of frustration. Combat seems to always begin with the enemy peppering you with so many missiles and cannon fire you don't have time to think and lose all your ships instantly.

I also love how frustratingly satisfying it is to have your fleet tracked down and pounced on right off the bat when starting a new game by a strike team of death you have no way of beating, forcing you to restart yet another new game.

Do yourself a favor, don't buy this game. It is rigged against you. I really don't know how all of those let's play videos make it look so easy but this game is nothing but sorrow and agony. Don't buy it.

Update 2021-08-28 Having played some more I've realized that not only is the game frustrating but it is boring due to repetitive chores. What I mean is the radio keeps beeping all the time. You are forced to solve the incoming transmission to make the warning chime go away. These frequent interruptions serve only to break the players concentration ruining focus.

Having to see the tutorial messages over and over again every time you restart is another point of frustration. I wish there was a save function so that if something goes wrong you could just restart from the last save instead of having to restart the game all over again.

Although there are some really fun aspects to the game they all get destroyed due to boring repetition, constant restarting the game, and constant replaying battles because you messed up. If you say you need to get gud I'll say why should I get gud because this game is boring. Glad to see you enjoy the game but you must have a simple mind.

Have nice day.

Gusington

This game must have really pissed W8 off because his post above and the above review don't sound like him at all.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on August 30, 2021, 06:25:53 PM
This game must have really pissed W8 off because his post above and the above review don't sound like him at all.

LOL. 

Yes I'm usually very forgiving of games even if they aren't that great but this particular really got me torqued.  To be fair however I did know going in that there was a lot of twitch combat to the game but because the YouTube clips I watched made it look so easy I fell for it.  Lesson learned. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

I am shocked into silence :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

But do you disapprove in your silence?

The_Admiral

Quote from: W8taminute on August 30, 2021, 08:25:30 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 30, 2021, 06:25:53 PM

LOL. 

Yes I'm usually very forgiving of games even if they aren't that great but this particular really got me torqued.  To be fair however I did know going in that there was a lot of twitch combat to the game but because the YouTube clips I watched made it look so easy I fell for it.  Lesson learned.

Well, I am sorry to learn about that, but it is, after everything's said & done, a personal take on the situation.  :P

In regard of repetitiveness, it also depends on one's ability to make good use of all the tools at one's disposal to beat the campaign, and swap between them to use it at the right place, at the right time - and by that, I mean tactics too (whether we're speaking strike teams, airstrikes or missile strikes). By every means, this is one of the most complex games available out there to a larger public in regard of gameyfying SIGINT & EW warfare. People say Command is complex - I never quite got that feeling myself (perhaps the hours spent playing Harpoon do pay some dividend afterall) but that? It's on another level. Some might find the mini games infuriating (you seem to think so) but they are also part of the core experience. It's a game where being at full efficiency requires you to keep a sheet of paper and a pen nearby to remember about the names of the stuff you intercept, so that you can break coding keys later on. Whether needing to write down stuff so as to use your brain later on in a meta-way is acceptable in 2021 is debatable - as for me, it brings me back to the days when I was watching my father do just that in the 1990s on point & click adventures & all. That's what some of us are looking for, and that is precisely what was delivered to us.  ^-^

That game asks for some true grit from the player throughout campaign gameplay, so obviously the core functions have to appeal to you. You're always on the edge, hunted down, and looking for an opportunity to turn the tables, with little room for mistakes, if at all. It can be stressful. If you're looking for a laid-back, more contemplative gameplay experience, I can't blame you, but I can't really blame the game either. But if you really do want to be fair, when I do realize that a dish isn't to my taste although it's quite popular out there for most, I'd rather believe that my taste is peculiar, not that the dish is inherently bad. Game's by now is at 86% positive world-wide & English - for all the best (complexity) to the worst (hey pew pew is cool) reasons, but there it stands, and there you do. But to each his own approach to subjectivity I guess  :coolsmiley: