Replacing an AIO Cooling Pump

Started by steve58, January 18, 2022, 05:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Ran into my 1st problem with my 2yr old IBuyPower PC.  PC did a shutdown out of the blue with a CPU overheating msg.  Can't really tell if the pump is working or not, but a little online sleuthing points to the pump probably died/clogged.  Seems the AIO pumps from IBuyPower have had more than their share of problems.   :-\

Anyways, I ordered a Corsair H60i.  Seems it installs a little differently than the original.  Unlike the IBuyPower cooler, the H60i comes with a SATA power connector.  My question for any grog hardware gurus out there:  Can I use an open SATA connector on the cable that is already powering a SSD and a HD?  I really don't want to have to disconnect/move lots of cables to get access to the back of the PSU.  I think I'm good, but looking for a 2nd/3rd/etc opinion.  Also looks like I may need an extension cable too.  TIA...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

I've been procrastinating (to myself) about replacing the AIO pump.  Kicked myself in the rear today and finally did it.  Turned out to be a bit of PIA, but overall not too bad. No sparks, fires or error msgs when I turned it back on and temps on the CPU are cooler (I think) than they were before.  Biggest pain was tracing the wiring from the old AIO. 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

So far.   Over the years, I've added/replaced RAM, HDs, graphic cards, even CPUs in my PCs. They were all a 1-for-1 swap out, so no big deal.  This was my first AIO cooling pump.  The cables/connections for the original pump were different than the new Cosair H60i.  Just required a little more pre-operative study than I thought it would...

Gusington

I've never done a cooling pump but I have futzed and finagled with the other parts you mentioned. Haven't lately.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd