Main Menu

DCS World Wow

Started by crowdrake, February 12, 2024, 10:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowdrake

Hey I bought an A10C plane whey back, but never really got into DCW because I played on a monitor with no eye tracking and could not control plane because I thought it was over complicated.

I watched a youtube recently and found you just cant play combat flying without eye tracking or simular as you have to hunt around the sky for targets. I had a quest 2 so I hooked up with the new app steam link on oculus its free and it worked really well on 5GHz, I heard you can get a 6GHz router but I did not need it, I think because I turn everything eles off and put router 4 ft high.

I was so impressed I watched some more youtube and found you can set keys for auto startup etc... I found you could bind minimum controls for all planes the same buttons on joystick. I first could not fire untill I searched for trigger etc... now I have the basics I could fly and a startup and stop meant i could do missions.

I flew a few A10C instant actions and cashed everytime I tried to turn quickly, but after some practice I found you dont turn at full power and just small inputs worked I could fly without going into tail spin.

I dont know how I did this but I chased an enemy plane in some fantastic jet smoke, I could not really see my gun sight in the sky (going to see if i can change colour). the enemy went low and I could see my sights ok, now  I know from sims i played in past to shoot just ahead of target, and Wow got my first kill, the graphics were fantastic as smoke trails and exposions and bits of plane.

I just did not know this was so good with a quest 2 VR headset, I got the thrustmaster setup and throttle for 100 off amazon, you could miss pedals and use twist grip on throttle, after research this is your base stick.

this is my hobby now, thankgod I found it as you dont know untill you get it right, quest 2 is ok and you can get one at argos for 250 now, and the DCS World has a big sale on now, I cant afford anything sadly but I have the A10C and some addons,

My advice is I found your cant play without head tracking or VR as combat really needs it.

crowdrake

steam base DCSWorld is free, but I would recommend a map and A10C and a good set of missions.

PS the helicopters were hard to fly, but i suppose with practice

you can also get the full ww2 experience with spitfires and the channel map, I hope to get these in the future.

Grim.Reaper

Jarhead0331

Better late to the party than never!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

crowdrake

I know Im late but computers are more powerful now so the graphics are better , so looks great. I thought I would share my suprise at the quality of this, I had played before, but unless you do it right you wont enjoy this sim.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: crowdrake on February 13, 2024, 11:24:43 AMI know Im late but computers are more powerful now so the graphics are better , so looks great.

Graphics in DCS have always been cutting edge and fantastic. However, recent implementation of Vulkan API, multi-threading and further optimizations by Eagle Dynamics have drastically improved performance allowing a much wider range of players and hardware to take advantage of higher graphics settings.

Quote from: crowdrake on February 13, 2024, 11:24:43 AMI thought I would share my suprise at the quality of this, I had played before, but unless you do it right you wont enjoy this sim.

I'm not sure what "doing it right" means, but in general, doing some due diligence to determine how best to optimize and tweak your settings to make the most out of your hardware will certainly improve the user experience. If you're blown away by a Quest 2, you should try something like a Pimax Crystal or Varjo Aero. You'll never want to climb down from the virtual clouds.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

crowdrake

Thats an upgrade I shall put on my list, I want a 6GHz router, network cable, and set of pedals, when i have cash.

doing it right is the head tracking of VR, and a realy good use of my quest 2, but as you say VR could be an upgrade too, and I have given up every thing i do to be in these clouds,

Jarhead0331

Quote from: crowdrake on February 13, 2024, 11:49:39 AMThats an upgrade I shall put on my list, I want a 6GHz router, network cable, and set of pedals, when i have cash.

doing it right is the head tracking of VR, and a realy good use of my quest 2, but as you say VR could be an upgrade too, and I have given up every thing i do to be in these clouds,

Speaking of pedals, I just picked up the Skywalker from Winwing and am very happy. I was using the MFG Crosswinds previously, which are excellent in their own right, so I won't quite call the Skywalker an "upgrade" since both are fantastic.

VR is pretty divisive in the DCS community. Some people refuse to adopt VR and still swear by pancake mode with traditional head tracking, or now even eye-tracking with the Tobii. I converted to VR very early on once it was supprted in DCS and have never looked back. For me, it was a revolutionary advancement in terms of immersion worth jumping through all the hoops to configure right. You're lucky, since these days, VR is much closer to plug and play in DCS, but back in the day it took a lot of tweaking (I mean hours upon hours) and trial and error, all of which usually had to repeated with each update and even then, it was a constant struggle to maximize clarity while also maintaining appropriate frame rates. it also required spending a lot of money on better GPUs, better CPUs, RAM and the latest VR headsets.

Its a much more user friendly experience now overall. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

crowdrake

you have all the upgrade info I need thanks. I have used half my living room as a cockpit :) I want the warthog stick with extension in the future. and the F16 F18 multirole fighters so you can do a lot of dif missions. but VR has made the immersion for me , I feels real . I just bought the super carrier so going to try a landing .

crowdrake

nevermind

Skoop

Skywalkers look pretty sweet, I like that you can pop off the spring for helos and have built in rudder trim from the damper.  Also has a lock out so only the toe brakes work so you can use it with driving sims.  This is the kind of design with multi uses that make expensive kit like the skywalkers worth the premium. 

crowdrake

I wanted a jostick extension so it felt like a real stick, but they only had the short 50mm, i bought 2 for future, but to my suprise they scew together so very happy. the joystick was on sale ,

crowdrake

I'm blown away every day on this, and I know you say expensive VR and I'm sure it would be better, but the quest 2 is really really good quality so far. and its cordless, I can read menus etc... the clocks I have to lean closer but its not bad.

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 13, 2024, 12:15:57 PMSome people refuse to adopt VR and still swear by pancake mode with traditional head tracking, or now even eye-tracking with the Tobii.

I still hold out hope that one day, the pancake heads shall be saved from their iniquity and see the light of the headset. The 2D experience is not even remotely comparable.

crowdrake

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on February 16, 2024, 04:49:16 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 13, 2024, 12:15:57 PMSome people refuse to adopt VR and still swear by pancake mode with traditional head tracking, or now even eye-tracking with the Tobii.

I still hold out hope that one day, the pancake heads shall be saved from their iniquity and see the light of the headset. The 2D experience is not even remotely comparable.

I think if they have invested heavy, and are setup it could be against the flow to convert to VR, but I think for 250 the price of an addon they should add a quest 2, its not perfect but its pretty good.  the quest 2 is being replaced by quest 3 so buying one is really good value, they wont be onsale after they are soldout it will be the quest 3.

the south atlantic map is really good flying with snow and rain, I like the flavour of the maps, there not generic, normandy feels like ww2 etc...I also love the basic flight training campange. I like its jets in this sim, its so good having jet smoke,