X-Com Steam Download Incredibly Slow

Started by W.S. Hancock, October 21, 2012, 11:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.S. Hancock

I bought X-Com Enemy Unknown off of Steam as my local Best Buy was sold out.  I have been attempting to download this game now for over 24 hours on my DSL connection, and at this point, still have only 67% of the game downloaded.

My DSL is not normally slow and I have purchased and downloaded many games online in the past without such an incredibly long download time, including games like DAO where there are lots of graphics.

Has anybody else experienced this?  Is this a Steam problem where they do not have enough bandwidth to accomodate all who wish to download?

Bison

I had a pretty fast download, but I know that since I was forced to switch to Comcast their internet pulses from awesome to supersuck frequently.

Arctic Blast

Maybe check that your download settings didn't get messed up somehow. If you go in to Settings off the Steam dropdown menu (top left) and head over to the 'Downloads + Cloud' tab, you can see what you're set at. I once had slow downloads, and it turned out my Download Region was set for US - Phoenix or something like that. Changed it to something closer to home and everything was good.

Nefaro

I usually see sucky d/l speeds from Steam only when some big sale is going, or occasionally during primetime evening hours, the latter only falling a little under 1M/s to qualify as "sucky". 

Was there some big sale when you were trying to d/l?  Everyone and their dead grandmother trying to download "Sleeping Dogs" or whatever it's called?

eyebiter

Try letting Steam run overnight.  Certain ISP's that throttle during the peak hours allow faster downloads during the middle of the night.

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

MIGMaster

I'm running into the same thing - I've played with my settings, yadda, yadda, but it remains just painfully slow.... oddly enough my downloads from GG go far faster..............

Nefaro

I could be wrong, but it does seem like some of my latest game updates in Steam took a bit longer than expected for the size.

Did Steam throttle back their upload speeds or something?

MIGMaster

I'm not sure what the scoop is.... my download finally completed today.

Nefaro

Bah!  Fookeen Steam.

QuoteSteam - Error.
The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request.  Please try again in a few minutes.

Let me install my effin' game arseholes!!   >:(

I do believe they've done some bandwidth .. adjustments..  lately.   I just re-downloaded/installed NTW (that's about 20GB) and also decided to d/l & try Breath of Death VII about 30 minutes later, which I got long ago in that pack with the similar Cthulu saves the world game.    Now it's repeatedly spamming me with this "BAM! DENIED!" message for this measly 150MB one.   Artificial download limits in Steam now?