Dangerous waters $1.99

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 23, 2012, 04:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Received email from strategy first saying dangerous waters is only $1.99 using the code of "battle" for those who have always wanted to try it.  I haven't tried it myself yet, but might do so for that price.  Anybody have any thoughts on the game?  Does it require a lot of micromanagement and is it fun?

http://www.strategyfirst.com/games/1483-Dangerous%20Waters

Staggerwing

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 23, 2012, 04:59:14 AM
Received email from strategy first saying dangerous waters is only $1.99 using the code of "battle" for those who have always wanted to try it.  I haven't tried it myself yet, but might do so for that price.  Anybody have any thoughts on the game?  Does it require a lot of micromanagement and is it fun?

I'd also like to know if this version contains the 'Starforce' virus.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MengJiao

I got the steam version for 14 dollars or something.  There are a lot of good things about the game, if you can get past the
ghastly aesthetics of the green glowing "military dayglow" objects on the initial screens.

So far I've just been setting up scenarios with Improved Kilos sinking tankers and whatnot.  I like the simplicity of the Improved Kilo and it does
fine against imaginary proxies off of an imaginary Angola.

You do have to manage everything, but it isn't too bad for a sub game, though the paper and pen world of Harpoon 4.1 seems a bit more
realistic in some ways at least for small, relatively low-tech scenarios.

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 23, 2012, 05:24:46 AM

I'd also like to know if this version contains the 'Starforce' virus.

Dangerous Waters was DRM free.  At least the original version was. 

You're thinking of Silent Hunter 3. 

I'd hope that no resellers added restrictive DRM to the game later on.

As for the game - it's what would probably be termed a "Study Sim" by flight simmers.  There is a lot of technical and conceptual stuff to learn, but it can be rewarding once you're on top of the mountain. 

And it's a sim, not a wargame, so it's much more detailed than the Harpoon games (or tabletop), and closer to what being a commander and station operators would be like as opposed to just giving task force commands.  "Down in the dirt/sea"

Grim.Reaper

well, for this cheap, I picked up...we'll see how long it lasts for me:)

MarkShot

If no DRM and you have any interest in subs, I would say buy it at that price.

I cannot remember what I payed, but probably over 10 USD for the UK Blackbean version.

I would also recommend getting the LWAMI 3.08 mod.

The best site for content is www.subguru.com.