Value of Video Tutorials

Started by Bismarck, October 30, 2012, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bismarck

I came across Youtube series of tutorials on Alea Jacta Est and Combat Mission Battles in Normandy. I haven't finished either series but am finding them of limited value so far. I can get as much from flipping between AJE and the manual as I can from the AJE video and the CMBN seems a bit too abstract so far - i.e. yes, I know about avenues of approach but that doesn't do me any good if the scenario doesn't give me enough juice to use my knowledge.

What do you guys think of video tutorials?
Jim Cobb

Jarhead0331

Personally, I like them...but its like anything else, they have to be done well in order to be of any real value.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 30, 2012, 11:33:22 AM
Personally, I like them...but its like anything else, they have to be done well in order to be of any real value.

+1

There are some real good video tutorials and how tos out there but some of them leave a lot to be desired.  If they are done right, they're invaluable.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

undercovergeek

IIRC there are some CMBN video tutorials by a retired colonel, i think theyre at Armchair General, and whilst very good, and he seems to play very well he skips very important parts of his tutorial that make them less useful. In his advance to contact video the timer is at say 3 mins and he teaches you how to split squads and advance and then all of a sudden its at 9 mins and i personally was like, 'but i want to know what you did in those 6 minutes to get you here!' if you going to do a video then do it all and give me the choice to fast forward dont do it for me

Bismarck

Jim Cobb

ArizonaTank

The only ones I find useful are those that deal with very short, specific topics, and the video doesn't last more than 2 min.  Solving particular puzzles in Skyrim for example.

Otherwise, some of the the longer ones can seem like an excuse for belly button gazing.  I watched a video of the Sword of Thrones game once...the guy spent more than a minute talking about how he got really good at moving the mouse around..."see I can do this!   and that! and wow this logitech mouse is really responsive!"   

I also find it distracting when the guy making it posts a video of his face in one of the screen corners.  I really don't need to watch the guy's expressions as he plays Alea Jacta Est....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

MikeGER

I remember video tutorials by Arjuna = Panther Games from Command Ops: BftB that were outstanding! and showed 'The way it ment to be realy played (or better simed)' by the author himself. I learned alot.

I also liked those longer multi-video AAR done by guys playing DVG games (a whole scenario from setup to the end), or other board game videos ...CoH and ASL videos come to mind.

Father Ted

Quote from: MikeGER on October 30, 2012, 01:35:13 PM
I remember video tutorials by Arjuna = Panther Games from Command Ops: BftB that were outstanding! and showed 'The way it ment to be realy played (or better simed)' by the author himself. I learned alot.

Not only that, but they were a damned good advert for the game.  Anyone who plays Rise of Flight will know of Requiem's training vids - they are tremendous.  In a game which moves in 3D in real time it is invaluable to be able to see a manouevre, rather than read about it and try to picture it.  He also presents things with the minimum of fuss and it sound easy.

Rayfer

I have found them to be very helpful, especially for complex games.  Along with AAR's, manuals and forums.....I have been able to enjoy games that I would have otherwise given up on, i.e. Forge of Freedom, Hearts of Iron III and Crusader Kings 2.

Tuna

QuoteI also find it distracting when the guy making it posts a video of his face in one of the screen corners.  I really don't need to watch the guy's expressions as he plays Alea Jacta Est....
Agreed, maybe for the first video, but annoying that he had to have himself on the screen most of the time..

QuoteI remember video tutorials by Arjuna = Panther Games from Command Ops: BftB that were outstanding! and showed 'The way it ment to be realy played (or better simed)' by the author himself. I learned alot.
+1 Excellent Tutorial Videos

QuoteAnyone who plays Rise of Flight will know of Requiem's training vids - they are tremendous.  In a game which moves in 3D in real time it is invaluable to be able to see a manouevre, rather than read about it and try to picture it.  He also presents things with the minimum of fuss and it sound easy.
Also excellent Videos!

PanzersEast

I think it depends on who is doing the video... I have had several that are very helpful, however others that have not been.  Sometimes the tutorial turns into a LP but I like to see how others play sometimes to get ideas.

PE

Bison

I might be sick but I like to watch tutorial, let's play and unboxing videos. 

There are some good videos already mentioned and another one I'd like to add is the tutorial videos for Crown of Glory.

Toonces

I don't know if I ever would have figured out CK2 without the video tutorials.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Toonces on October 30, 2012, 11:31:11 PM
I don't know if I ever would have figured out CK2 without the video tutorials.

I agree.  For very deep and detailed games like CK2 a video tutorials are very enlightning.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."