Main Menu

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. dlc

Started by Toonces, October 31, 2012, 12:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I have the Chernobyl version of STALKER.  I see that two DLCs are on the Steam Halloween sale: Call of Pripyat and Clear Sky.

I barely got into Chernobyl, but I wonder, do you guys think the DLCs are worth picking up at half price?  Total clammage is like $12, so it's not a ton of money.  The completist in me would like to have the whole set.

I like STALKER, but I find it a very tough game.  Fixing the head bob was key for me being able to play it more than 5 minutes without getting a nauseous headache.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

I picked them up not long ago, on a sale, but one of the things I didn't like about the first one became even more prevalent - the crazy little radiation things that pop up everywhere.   

I've not played the new ones much, yet, since I'm not into shooters all that much anymore.  I liked the idea of inventory management and survival so that's what drove me to pick it up.  It looks like they improved on some of those basics and expanded in that sense, though.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Clear Sky was brutally hard.  I must've tried the end battle 30+ times and just couldn't beat it.  I'd say avoid it.

Pripyat was great.  Maybe a little too easy compared to the original but still solid.  I bought it through D2D and lost access to it when they switched over to GameFly.  A lot of the narrative makes reference to the first game, so if you haven't played it, you might find it somewhat confusing.

Jarhead0331

Just for the record, those are not DLCs.  They are two totally separate games.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

bboyer66

Call of Pripyat with the complete mod is one of the best FPS games you will play. Hell the original Stalker is excellent. But like Jarhead said these are two totally separate games.

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 31, 2012, 05:30:03 AM

Actually, Call of Pripyat required one of the earlier ones (Clear Sky or the original, I can't recall) for me to install it.  So I think CoP was an expansion.  That or it had an expansion pack option. 

Got mine from Gamersgate, I believe.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on October 31, 2012, 10:22:04 AM

Actually, Call of Pripyat required one of the earlier ones (Clear Sky or the original, I can't recall) for me to install it.  So I think CoP was an expansion.  That or it had an expansion pack option. 

I seem to recall there being 2 different versions at release...one that was fully stand alone, and one that used resources from either of the earlier games. The stand alone sold so poorly that it promptly vanished.

Oh, actually it didn't totally vanish. On Gamersgate they still have it. The Loyalty Edition is the smaller install version that uses resources from the other games.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bboyer66 on October 31, 2012, 08:54:02 AM
Call of Pripyat with the complete mod is one of the best FPS games you will play. Hell the original Stalker is excellent. But like Jarhead said these are two totally separate games.

Care to elaborate on why? Never even heard of this mod. Thanks!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

I wanted to dearly love Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl - and did for a while. But I really, really couldn't get on with all the very, very boring reading.

Why they couldn't have put voice overs in I don't know...but the reading became incredibly tiresome.

Also, I found the shooting to be ridiculously hard - either missing or just downright requiring a hell load of bullets to take a guy down - whilst at the same time the AI could hit you from 500 feet with a sawn off (exaggerated - but still)

To it's credit, it was incredibly atmospheric...but the reading and shooting killed it for me - and after that I had no desire to go after either of the others.

Edit
Sorry - I just realised this wasn't a rant thread and that you had Chernobyl and wondered about the other two!!
Alba gu' brath

Tpek

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.
I've got the first 2 Stalker games from various retailers, but CoP from Steam and only that from Steam, and it still worked.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on October 31, 2012, 12:59:47 PM

I've got the first 2 Stalker games from various retailers, but CoP from Steam and only that from Steam, and it still worked.

+1. He's wrong.  ;)
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

Thanks for the inputs, guys.  I think I'll pick them up.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 31, 2012, 10:39:01 AM

I seem to recall there being 2 different versions at release...one that was fully stand alone, and one that used resources from either of the earlier games. The stand alone sold so poorly that it promptly vanished.

Oh, actually it didn't totally vanish. On Gamersgate they still have it. The Loyalty Edition is the smaller install version that uses resources from the other games.

This would explain it.  Thanks.

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 31, 2012, 01:04:22 PM
Quote from: Tpek on October 31, 2012, 12:59:47 PM

+1. He's wrong.  ;)

;)

System Requirements

Requires S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky to install and play!
        Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4/ 2.2. GHz AMD Athlon XP 2200+
        Memory: 768 MB RAM
        Graphics: nVidia GeForce 5900 128MB / AMD Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB
        DirectX®: DirectX 9 compatible
        Hard Drive: 6 GB of free space
        Sound: DirectX 9 compatible

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-STALKERCOPLE/stalker-call-of-pripyat-loyalty-edition

Clearly.  :P