Main Menu

Time for a new rig!

Started by Steelgrave, January 29, 2012, 04:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

Congrats, man! That's a great system.

At least, it will be once the sound starts working.  ;D

Steelgrave

And the sound is working properly now. Odd, it seems that you have to plug the speakers into the correct outlet.....

Toonces

Guess what the Fed Ex guy just dropped off.....?

;D
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Steelgrave

Quote from: Toonces on March 02, 2012, 04:59:41 PM
Guess what the Fed Ex guy just dropped off.....?

;D

Sweet! Just in time for the weekend!

TheCommandTent

Awesome, you realize we want pictures right?  ;D
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

Toonces,
Isn't the Proud New Father supposed to hand out cheap cigars about now?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

LOL.  You guys wouldn't believe the abuse I took from my wife when I asked her to take some pictures.   She's like, "Really?  Of your computer?  You're such a dork."

Anyway, I'll get those up later.

On a serious note, I'm having issues getting my monitor to recognize my EVGA output.  It works if I plug the EVGA from the computer into a VGA adapator, and plug the VGA adaptor into my monitor.  But, it simply will not recognize the output when I plug EVGA to EVGA. 

HDMI doesn't appear to be hooked up to the graphics card- it works, but the NVIDIA control panel doesn't see the HDMI. 

All of the drivers should be installed already, right?  Am I missing something obvious? 

I'm leaning towards a monitor issue unless you guys say something contrary.  In the meantime, what am I losing by hooking up a VGA adaptor to my monitor instead of direct EVGA=EVGA?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Steelgrave

Quote from: Toonces on March 02, 2012, 09:27:43 PM
LOL.  You guys wouldn't believe the abuse I took from my wife when I asked her to take some pictures.   She's like, "Really?  Of your computer?  You're such a dork."

Anyway, I'll get those up later.

On a serious note, I'm having issues getting my monitor to recognize my EVGA output.  It works if I plug the EVGA from the computer into a VGA adapator, and plug the VGA adaptor into my monitor.  But, it simply will not recognize the output when I plug EVGA to EVGA. 

HDMI doesn't appear to be hooked up to the graphics card- it works, but the NVIDIA control panel doesn't see the HDMI. 

All of the drivers should be installed already, right?  Am I missing something obvious? 

I'm leaning towards a monitor issue unless you guys say something contrary.  In the meantime, what am I losing by hooking up a VGA adaptor to my monitor instead of direct EVGA=EVGA?

My drivers came installed, but if you want to reinstall them it probably won't hurt. Unusual problem, hope it turns out to be nothing. And I took pics too, lol!

Toonces

Correction- it's DVI output, not EVGA.  I'm reading about it via google and it doesn't sound like it's a big deal.  Still annoying, though.

TheCommandTent

Definitely reinstall your drivers and make sure they are up to date.  I know NVIDIA just release a big update the end of Feb.  If you have another computer or laptop with the same ports try troubleshooting that to make sure its not a monitor issue.

Other then that I don't think its that big of a deal unless you have a high quality monitor.  However, now is the time to find out if something is wrong so the company that sent it can make it right for you.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

Both monitor and card have DVI? I'm sure you checked to see that the monitor was set to receive a signal from the
correct source. Some need to be switched manually from VGA input to DVI because they don't autodetect.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

It might not be autodetecting...I don't know why it wouldn't, but that sounds exactly like what the problem is.  I'll troubleshoot tomorrow and see if that fixes it, and then let you know.

TheCommandTent

Also check and see if there are drivers for you monitor you need to install and update.  Mine came with driver CD but where out of date so I had to find the website and update them.

Toonces

Hey guys, thanks for the help.  I'm pretty sure both of you guys have hit the nail on the head with this- what you're describing sounds like exactly the problem I'm having. 

I had a similar issue occur with my old computer that died where the monitor wasn't detecting when the computer came on, and that happened at almost the same time that I started using my VGA laptop on the monitor and my dead computer spontaneously rolled itself back to a restore point from 5 years ago...so it definitely could be either an autodetect or driver issue with the monitor. 

It's NOT the new computer; I'm positive of that.

Centurion40

As some know, I was unexpectedly forced to buy a new pc when the motherboard on Ole Faithful crapped-out.  This is the new pc that I picked, with an additional 2 gigs of RAM:

http://www.robotnik.com/robotnik-amd-athlon-ii-x2-system.html

Nothing special, but all that I am willing to pay at the moment (I paid less by skipping the OS and sticking with XP).  I pick it up last Thursday and then it craps-out on Saturday!!!  The HDD fails.  It failed when I was installing the printer drivers.  So they replace the HDD.

I almost went apesh!t, going without a computer for over a week.  I am clearly addicted to playing Dawn of War and it's expansions.  It got all the more ugly when I was unable to retrieve my downloaded DoW games... a long story.  I will say that everything is now in order and DoW looks better than ever, with more graphic details that are making me very happy.
Any time is a good time for pie.