Main Menu

Time for a new rig!

Started by Steelgrave, January 29, 2012, 04:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

So my monster Dell is four years old now and I have permission from my boss wife to buy a new one. I've got a budget of around $1500 that I can probably stretch to 2k without losing bedroom privileges. Obviously a gaming rig is #1 priority, something that I can crank Skyrim up to max on.

So......recommendations anyone?

Bison

I know Gus had some issues.  However I think that is because he got the mass produced rig off newegg as opposed to going to the actual site instead. 
Build to your hearts content and for $1500 you can get a MONSTER rig.  Also just spend the extra $5 for professional wiring.  Otherwise it's too much work for them to cut the wires to a reasonable size.

http://www.ibuypower.com/

I'm actually looking at perhaps downsizing my rig later this year.  I've got a full sized tower HAF 932, which is just a pain in the ass to move and store.  I need to do some measuring perhaps I can get everything to fit into the LAN warrior case. 

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Steelgrave on January 29, 2012, 04:12:20 PM
So my monster Dell is four years old now and I have permission from my boss wife to buy a new one. I've got a budget of around $1500 that I can probably stretch to 2k without losing bedroom privileges. Obviously a gaming rig is #1 priority, something that I can crank Skyrim up to max on.

So......recommendations anyone?

Are you planning on building your own, buying a pre-built or have a company build it for you?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Centurion40

I need a new rig too.  I haven't played a pc game made after 2009!!!
Any time is a good time for pie.

Steelgrave

No, the thought of building my own rig is scary, lol! What I've done the last two purchases is go to Dell and customize what I want online. That's worked great and may be the direction I go again.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Steelgrave on January 31, 2012, 05:17:05 PM
No, the thought of building my own rig is scary, lol! What I've done the last two purchases is go to Dell and customize what I want online. That's worked great and may be the direction I go again.

Alienware my man... Alienware.

Glad to see you are both on board and a Global Mod/Old Guard!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

TheCommandTent

Dell is ok but they load alot extra crap on your computer you don't need.  Alienware is also ok but they are expensive for what you actually get under the hood.

Here are a couple companies that you can customize your computer through and then they build it and ship it to you.  They also sell some pre-built computers but since their companies mostly focus on gaming the computers are all geared toward that.

http://www.avadirect.com/

http://www.maingear.com/index.php

http://www.velocitymicro.com/
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Centurion40

I've always gone with a local vendor to get what I've wanted.  So far, so good... with one exception.  Lesson learned: never buy from a friend.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Steelgrave

All good suggestions and much appreciated. Normally I would jump at Alienware, but I've read that since Dell picked them up their quality has gone down. Of course, I've heard the same about Dell lately, although I've never gotten anything other than excellence from them. But times change, and I'm definitely shopping :)

Bison

Ibuypower is running a Super Bowl special right now that has a ton of free upgrades options.  So you could potentially make a $2K rig for less than $1.5K.  My rig is ibuypower, which I bought 3 years ago and because I got ATI cards in crossfire and the top AMD cpu still has the power of awesomness.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Bison on February 02, 2012, 01:09:55 PM
Ibuypower is running a Super Bowl special right now that has a ton of free upgrades options.  So you could potentially make a $2K rig for less than $1.5K.  My rig is ibuypower, which I bought 3 years ago and because I got ATI cards in crossfire and the top AMD cpu still has the power of awesomness.

Thank you, Bison. On my way to check it out now!

Toonces

My desktop died, literally- as in it won't even start up anymore died- and I'm going to go with ibuypower.

There's a slightly better version of the rig I was looking at last July for a few bucks less than the other one.  It's here:

Actually, I can't even remember which one I was looking at this afternoon!  Well, this one looks good: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Paladin_D858

They all kind of look the same to me...and all are exponentially better than what I've been making do with for the last several years so any of them in the $1200 range are going to rock.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Steelgrave

Quote from: Toonces on February 05, 2012, 02:13:51 AM
My desktop died, literally- as in it won't even start up anymore died- and I'm going to go with ibuypower.

There's a slightly better version of the rig I was looking at last July for a few bucks less than the other one.  It's here:

Actually, I can't even remember which one I was looking at this afternoon!  Well, this one looks good: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Paladin_D858

They all kind of look the same to me...and all are exponentially better than what I've been making do with for the last several years so any of them in the $1200 range are going to rock.

Not bad, not bad......I would spend an extra $20 and get the dual fans, but that's gonna rock. I think that rig makes my list of finalists.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Toonces on February 05, 2012, 02:13:51 AM

Toonces,
I'm sure you've already talked your self into a new 'puter by now but before dumping the old one check the
power supply. Dr Quest went through this back on the 'old forums' and he was able to get his running again.
If you do get a power light one quick test is unplugging everything from the motherboard except the cpu fan
cable (usually square but anyway it will run to the cpu housing) and the ginormous multi lead plug into the
motherboard. Then try and power it on and see if it will at least POST (power up self test). If so you can try
just swapping out the PSU with a new one and then you will have a spare rig for just the cost of between
$40-$100 based on what you want to spend. If possible buy a slightly higher output one than the old in case
it was underpowered to begin with. You could try it even if you don't get a POST in case the old PSU is completely
dead and if no joy then return the new PSU for a refund.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Epee1

My son just got an ibuypower system.  I forget the specs, but he seems quite happy with it.  He's a big gamer, but not wargames.  :'(