Main Menu

Computer Speakers

Started by Bison, May 14, 2013, 07:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I'm not an audiophile.  I just want something that sounds good playing games and watching an occasional movie or video.  What I'm looking for is some thing that is low profile in that it doesn't take up a lot of space on the desk or have a huge woofer box sitting at the base of my feet.

I was a Best Buy last weekend and listened to a few different speakers in the store. 

Here's the ones I'm looking at but I'm not sure if they warrant the price of $100.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836166006

Any thoughts?

Barthheart

Bose are really good over priced speakers.

If you are not looking for audiophile stuff go with something in the $30 to $50 range and you'll be fine.

Something like this:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/insignia-insignia-2-0-powered-computer-speakers-ns-pcs40-black-ns-pcs40/10133604.aspx?path=e7660c29b28b331cbf48160034e0b105en02&SearchPageIndex=1

Bison

Ok.  Here's a silly question what's the difference between 2.0 and 2.1 sound?  It looks like the difference is an indepent woofer for bass.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on May 14, 2013, 08:11:06 PM
Ok.  Here's a silly question what's the difference between 2.0 and 2.1 sound?  It looks like the difference is an indepent woofer for bass.

Took me some digging to find out.

The .1 means there is a woofer (deep bass).

The 2.x means there are two speakers. A 4.1 system then has four speakers (probably front left & right, and rear left & right) plus a woofer.

A 2.0 system means just two speakers, no woofer.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Thanks LB.  That's what I figured.   Right now I have a 2.1 system two speakers and a woofer, but it doesn't put out very good sound.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on May 14, 2013, 08:59:07 PM
Thanks LB.  That's what I figured.   Right now I have a 2.1 system two speakers and a woofer, but it doesn't put out very good sound.

I bought a $50 5.1 system a few years back. It works great if you just want to crank the sound and game. Depends on the mood I'm in. Well, these days I mostly game on a laptop and use headphones, and with my office/den downstairs under the master bedroom I doubt I'll be cranking the sound much late into the evening. But I digress. I wouldn't spend big bucks on sound unless you really appreciate it. I met a guy once who used to be the listening dude for a submarine. He dropped $1000 for solid granite rocks on which to perch his multi-thousand dollar speakers. He was one of those guys who could pick out the third violin in the second row. Not having a desire to cultivate that skill or expensive hobby, I'm content with my $50 speakers. I suspect you will be, too.

LongBlade

BTW, headphones rock if you're into FPS games and want to hear guys creeping up behind you. The situational awareness can't be beat. But for everyday havoc gaming - go with some speakers.

LongBlade

I bought my system several years ago. Accounting for inflation and the fact that I got mine at Sam's Club, this looks like the contemporary equivalent.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VAK1FA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003VAK1FA&linkCode=as2&tag=grogheads-20

Bison

I was using a headset for a long time because the computer desk corner was in the living room.  So rather than creating numerous competing sound sources, I just put on the headset.  But now I have a man corner in the den, seperate from the living room so I've stopped using the headset except when I'm voice chatting.  You're right though I just want something to listen to a game's sound track and have one less wire to mess with when I'm gaming or listening to the radio or watching a video on youtube.

Hiimori

I use the Logitech Z520 2.0 speakers. They provide a virtual 360 degree surround sound and have a really good, powerful sound. I never missed a subwoofer.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Speaker-System-Z520-Black/dp/B002FU5QMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368601436&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+z520

I'm using them for 2 years now and I'm very satisfied with them. They don't take up too much space on the desk (but aren't too small either, about 22cm / 10 inches high) and you don't need to hide a massive subwoofer somewhere. They are really good for playing games and I'm listening to music with them all the time when using the PC.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Gusington

After about 8 years my 5.1 system from Dell is pretty much dead, so this thread is very useful. For the last few years I have been using headphones since my study is right next to my kids' room but after the renovation it will be time to get some speakers again.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jack Nastyface

I like my music...and sometimes I like it loud.  If you want good, clean, crisp sound from your computer speakers, you NEED to spend at least $150 - $200.  Over the years, I have purchased a number of different "popular" speaker sets (logitech, creative, etc) and inevitably, it is only a matter of time until they start sounding like the factory-installed cassette radio player in dad's old Buick Regal.  I recently picked up a a pair of M-Audio AV(?) speakers for about $140 CDN on sale and am quite pleased.  Sound doesn't distort at higher volumes, and the range is respectable.  Bass fidelity is just a little off (for me this means bass should sound low, not boomy), but I rarely notice it as not much of my music collection is bass-heavy.
This may sound like I'm an audio elitist, but you do really notice the difference between good speakers and just average.  If you tend to entertain at your house, the average speakers can be an annoyance, whilst good speakers help create ambience and background to conversation.  I frequently have people ask me, in the middle of conversation, "who is playing right now".  I like to think that happens because I have good taste in music...but it is just as likely that it sounds great through my speakers.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Bison

I spent some time at Best Buy today looking and listening to all of the floor models planning a future purchase.

2.0 Speakers.  Frankly nothing they had sounded as good as the Bose.
2.1 They had some decent sounding sets that won't break the bank and to get quality sound I'll live with a woofer at my feet.
5.1 I listened but am not even considering. 

I didn't really find any 2.1 that sounded good in the store at least.  Is there a notable difference in quality of sound between the different manufactors or price range between $50 and $100?  Or is quality sound not really an option like Jack suggests for under $150?

Barthheart

The more you want to pay the better the sound will be. That's just a fact.
This is because for more money, better quality materials are used and better construction leads to better sound.
I'm with Jack, if you want really good quality you need to open your wallet. BUT for a PC for gaming I'm not looking for high fidelity where I can pick out the 3rd shell casing bouncing off my partners helmet. For home audio sure... that's why my audio system cost about $4000 (well 15 years ago when I put it together). My PC speakers.. about $40.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on May 15, 2013, 05:21:34 PM
I spent some time at Best Buy today looking and listening to all of the floor models planning a future purchase.

2.0 Speakers.  Frankly nothing they had sounded as good as the Bose.
2.1 They had some decent sounding sets that won't break the bank and to get quality sound I'll live with a woofer at my feet.
5.1 I listened but am not even considering. 

I didn't really find any 2.1 that sounded good in the store at least.  Is there a notable difference in quality of sound between the different manufactors or price range between $50 and $100?  Or is quality sound not really an option like Jack suggests for under $150?

The 5.1 system will probably best make sense if you're playing games that support surround sound or if you're watching movies. If you've ever been in a theater and noticed some footsteps to your back right...that's the surround sound effect. If that's not important to you, then definitely go with 2.1.