Main Menu

iPad3 specs revealed

Started by Shelldrake, March 07, 2012, 03:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

Scroll through this blog entry for info on the upcoming iPad3 - sounds awesome!

"21Mbps HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA at 42Mbps, with LTE taking the cake at 73Mbps; comparing to a Tegra 3, Apple says the A5 is "twice as fast" and the A5X offers "four times the​ performance; it's 2048 x 1536, sure enough [display]. That's 3.1 million pixels. The most ever in a mobile device;  9.4mm thin, weighing 1.4lbs. "

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/07/apple-ipad-3-liveblog/

More information here. Launches March 16.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/apples-next-gen-ipad-new-battlefields-emerge/71075
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Jarhead0331

^I don't know what any of that gibberish means!  ???
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 07, 2012, 04:15:13 PM

It means a Kindle won't do as much but is still cheaper ;)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on March 07, 2012, 08:05:46 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 07, 2012, 04:15:13 PM

It means a Kindle won't do as much but is still cheaper ;)

I have to say that I find the Kindle Fire's interface very annoying for doing anything other than reading books.
It seems to be socially engineered to keep dumping you back into Amazon's  sandbox. I've not yet been able to
install any non-Amazon approved apps from the Android Market even after being told it is possible. All I get is
'device not supported'. Even the option to turn on flash-based media was buried in the settings.
As far as the iPad goes, I find it easier to use because all of the apps are spread out on several pages which you
can flip through with two or three flicks of the finger, unlike the Fire's carousel display which causes me to scrabble
after what I want like a hamster running a wheel. On the fire if it's recent it will be first (sensible enough I suppose)
but since all of your content, books, video, apps, web browser, music, magazines, etc, are all there in no particular
order it can be a real pain in the rumpenfleish to try and find something once your content grows beyond a certain point.
When I received mine It came preloaded with my elibrary which has gotten quite extensive since I've had an 'old style'
Kindle for several years. It's a lot like browsing through the Matrix Game homepage for a particular game up on
their carousel display but without the benefit of any sort of rudimetary sorting such as the alphabet.
The iPad is a much better 'laptop replacement' appliance because of it's versatility and because it has eleventy-billion
productivity apps to go with all of the time-wasters and I also find the screen more responsive. It is all-around easier.
The Fire is smaller than the iPad but almost as heavy. There is no 'home button' on the bezel in the way most i-devices
and other android phones and tablets have them but there is a home icon in the lower part of most screens. Also, for
some unfathomable reason you have to swipe right to left instead of left to right to activate the device from the welcome
screen, another annoyance to the average iphone user who swipes left to right perhaps hundreds of times a day.

However, if you are looking for an e-Book-Enhanced type of device then the Fire makes more sense. It is small and
the aforementioned carousel make it quick to get back to a book you were reading just before you decided to jump over to
the Amazon store to see what else the author had written. You can easily get to your free video content (assuming you
also sprang for the Amazon Prime membership at $80 a year...) and buy paid video content to watch almost right away.
Neither Netflix or Hulu (web page or android app) seem to work at all- probably to force you to buy Amazon's content.I'm
guerssing that there are work-arounds to these things but they are not apparent to me as of yet. I'm already thinking that
my Fire will mostly hang around the living room and bedroom while I'll continue to cart my iPad to work until such time
that I find an Android tablet that truly compares or Apple comes out with a 7 or 8 inch compact iPad.

The iPad is to the Fire as a minivan/fourseat pickup truck is to a Mini Cooper/Mazda Miata.
If you want a simple entertainment device or if you are interested in scouring the internet for hacks to get your tablet
to do things then the Fire is a cheap but reasonably fast choice. If you want to untether yourself from your laptop a bit
more but still need almost the same level of functionality without having to learn how to be a Tablet-Hacker Extraordinaire
then I suggest you either try another Android tablet with a more open interface or get an actual iPad2 which will be cheaper
when the next one comes out.

This is all, of course, My Very Own Opinion and may be heresy to those who think otherwise. Tablets are like cars, beer, and
underwear. One size/style will never fit all regardless of hype. YM as they say MV.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MikeGER

the question is: how does the display perform on a bright day outdoors (terrace, garden), with its backside turned to the sun, or operated in the shadows?       

MIGMaster

Look at the size of the thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keunert

i think you linked the wrong pic
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Keunert

how great would it be to be foolish enough to buy another unneeded device to play this unreleased game on it:

Oscar Wilde

Windigo

eyebiter

MIGMaster

Quote from: Keunert on March 08, 2012, 07:42:02 AM
i think you linked the wrong pic

I was going for the slapstick humour on that one - but it didn't pan out !  :D

MikeGER

i wait to get a glimpse at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 11.6 (or 11.2?) first  :P
(in opposite to Apple stuff i bet it will have SDcard slots and overall more connectivity like the Galaxy S2 outperforms the IPhone4)     

Keunert

yeah a slapstick would have been a better match
Oscar Wilde

Windigo

LongBlade

Staggerwing and I seem to agree in overall substance, though I have minor disagreements in detail.

The Fire is certainly a device you pay for to buy Kindle e-books.

I would say the same of the iPad - you buy the iPad to buy songs and movies from iTunes. (and apps) (though many are free to both platforms)

The moment you find yourself with the urge to buy a keyboard for your iPad you must realize: you're doing it wrong. You really just want a laptop.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Shelldrake

Quote from: LongBlade on March 08, 2012, 12:06:20 PM
The moment you find yourself with the urge to buy a keyboard for your iPad you must realize: you're doing it wrong. You really just want a laptop.

Exactly my thinking when I bought a netbook to supplement my full-sized laptop. My netbook goes on plane trips, my laptop on car trips....but I still crave a tablet.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

MIGMaster

One of my buddies just bought a ASUS Transformer - I anxious to see if it fits the bill and presents the both of best worlds.