Main Menu

iPod Touch?

Started by Barthheart, March 09, 2012, 09:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Alright, I'm a luddite when it comes to these things. I don't own a cel phone, don't want or need one. I don't own an MP3 player. etc.

I do own a Palm Tungsten E PDA that just took a header on to my tile floor and now the screen is cracked! It was 7 or 8 years old and still going strong...... :(
I loved my Palm (insert jokes here!). I've had Plam products since they started coming out. All my contacts are in there, schedules, appointemts etc. I'd be lost and late if it weren't for the alarm for meeting function on it.

So now I need a replacement. Since Palms no longer exist.. I think... the nearest device I can think of is the Apple (shuuuudddddderrrr) iPod Touch. They are only about $200 here so not that expensive.

Aynbody own one? Would it pass as a PDA? I'm I screwed if I don't own a Mac?

Thanks in advance. 8)

LongBlade

Interesting question. Most handheld devices these days have a calendar and contact sync function. I can't speak directly to the latest generation of iPods, but in general I think you could probably make it a substitute.

That said, unless your heart is set on an iOS, you might want to look around at the wealth of handheld non-phone devices available these days. IMHO Apple is the new Sony, where you have the privilege of paying extra for the name and gee-whiz factor. That said, both brands typically offer quality.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

Quote from: LongBlade on March 09, 2012, 09:16:11 AM
you might want to look around at the wealth of handheld non-phone devices available these days.
By this do you mean tablets/e-readers? I have a Sony e-reader but it has no PDA functions on it.
Not sure I need/want something that large. Admittedly there is a part of me that wants to use this as an excuse to get a tablet, that I'd like for gaming, but the thought of carring around something that size primarliy to keep me on time seems..... over kill?
Are there small/cheaper devices out there?

LongBlade

Honestly I'm not sure what's out there.

I was thinking more along the lines of all the MP3 players out there. Some of them are likely to have calendar apps. Microsoft's Zune is almost certainly going to be able to do the same things as an iPod.

My thinking here isn't so much to talk you out of Apple (though I'm not a huge fan of them these days) but rather to encourage you to look around and see if anything else exists besides the iPod. I expect it does.

I have had both an old generation iPod and an iPhone, and they worked well enough.

Barthheart

Thanks LB.
There are some interesting other posbilities out there... unfortunately the Zune HD doesn't seen to be one of them as it's not available in Canada....  ??? At least I can't find it and some rumours that some of it's connectivity might not be available either up here.... :P

LongBlade

Well, no sense in making things difficult. If you want an iPod, check it out. I'm fairly sure it will do what you want.

republic

Another option would be to look at your cellular service.  You might find it worthwhile to look into an Android/iPhone smartphone. 

Quite a few apps on the iPod touch (and nearly anything else these days) require internet access, so you'll need wifi access which may not always be available.  Just something to be aware of.

Barthheart

So... Wife is out of town and I told her of my Palm troubles (more jokes here) by email. Happened to mentioned the iPads were on sale (price drop whatever) and she didn't even blink...
Went to Future Shop to look at iPod touch and iPads. iPod touch would do what my old Palm did plus more. But the iPad does all that and can play all the neat games listed here in the iOS games forum.

So here I sit reading the web on my new iPad while watching Family Guy on my TV. Should be fun learning how to use this thing.... At least until my sees the visa bill!

Keunert

did you buy the new one or the ipad2?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Barthheart

The iPad 2 because it was cheaper and the incrmental improvements don't do me any good.

LongBlade

Good! I'm glad you found an improved replacement.