Main Menu

Problem with GOG.com

Started by besilarius, February 02, 2014, 04:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

Okay, I have never denied being an absolute eejit when it comes to computer issues.
After all the good news about Master of Orion,decided to give it a try from GOG.
It is paid for, and I can download the supplement pack of manuals, music and such.  For some reason, nothing happens when I download the game itself.  I click the download/re-download button and the button goes away and nada.
The GOG downloader obviously works, so something else is happening.  Is there a button or a step that I've ignored?
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bob48

You may not believe it, but I've never used GoG - but I was under the (probably wrong) impression that they sent you an email key to activate it?

No doubt one someone here will be able to you offer better advice on that though.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Could your anti-malware be blocking the d/l somehow? Maybe it thinks it's a trojan? GOG also has it's own downloader you can install rather than just grabbing the install file directly.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

Used their downloader to get the manuals and supplements, so that is working.
Maybe it is the malware fighter.  Will play around with that.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Greybriar

I have never used the GOG.com Downloader mode. The procedure I go through after purchasing a game from GOG.com is:
1. Go to My Account
2. Click on the game I want to download
3. Create a folder somewhere on my hard drive in which to download the game files
4. Download the Windows Installer, English into the folder I created
5. Install the game (But don't forget to check the OPTIONS available in order to install it to the location where you want it.)

Hope that helps you out.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Arctic Blast

Since the installer for the game isn't likely to be too big, I'd just download it through your browser.

The GOG downloader is kind of a piece of crap. Nice when it works, but sometimes it just randomly decides not to.

besilarius

Thanks Greybriar and Arctic.  Will see if that will work.
Appreciate all the helpful contributions from everyone.

"With your eyes closed?"

Mr. Bigglesworth

Don't use their downloader, don't have a problem.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598