Share your Screenshots!

Started by TheCommandTent, April 02, 2012, 09:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: W8taminute on December 27, 2014, 08:46:36 AM
Any advice for joystick settings in Warthunder.  I'm having a tough time controlling my plane comfortably in just arcade mode in the pc version of the game.  On the console version I can play realistic settings easily because the default console controller settings work well for me. 

On the pc version of the game I'm using a logitech extreme pro flightstick and my plane is jerky and stuttery as I try to aim at things or evade enemy attacks.  If I use the mouse and keyboard I can fly easily but I don't feel like a pilot anymore.  Just some hacker trying to play a flight sim.

I've tried setting up three different joystick or HOTAS systems in War Thunder.  I never got any of the sensitivities to my liking using the in-game options.  One or more axes are just too sensitive even after lowering them.  So I just fly Arcade or an occasional Realistic match with mouse & keyboard.  If I want to fly a real sim with my fancy hardware, I'll just go play a sim.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I spent hours fiddling with dead-zones, gain multipliers and slider offsets until I finally got it dialed in to where it feels good.

Work on one axis at a time.  Make an adjustment then take a plane up for a test flight.  Rinse and repeat (vodka helps).

jomni

Quote from: W8taminute on December 27, 2014, 08:46:36 AM
Any advice for joystick settings in Warthunder.  I'm having a tough time controlling my plane comfortably in just arcade mode in the pc version of the game.  On the console version I can play realistic settings easily because the default console controller settings work well for me. 

On the pc version of the game I'm using a logitech extreme pro flightstick and my plane is jerky and stuttery as I try to aim at things or evade enemy attacks.  If I use the mouse and keyboard I can fly easily but I don't feel like a pilot anymore.  Just some hacker trying to play a flight sim.

Why not just use a game pad? 
Keyboard + Mouse is just fine with me.

Silent Disapproval Robot

You can't effectively use keyboard and mouse for aircraft in sim mode.

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 27, 2014, 07:32:12 PM
You can't effectively use keyboard and mouse for aircraft in sim mode.

People play Sim Mode in the WT aircraft?   :P

Silent Disapproval Robot

Why would you play anything else?

jomni

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 27, 2014, 11:49:32 PM

I dunno.  I would like to but end up playing arcade because it has less waiting time.

W8taminute

Quote from: Nefaro on December 27, 2014, 08:49:45 AM
I've tried setting up three different joystick or HOTAS systems in War Thunder.  I never got any of the sensitivities to my liking using the in-game options.  One or more axes are just too sensitive even after lowering them.  So I just fly Arcade or an occasional Realistic match with mouse & keyboard.  If I want to fly a real sim with my fancy hardware, I'll just go play a sim.

I see.  I thought I was the only one who was having trouble dialing in axis sensitivities.  Now I understand why people criticize WT about not being a true flight sim. 

Quote from: jomni on December 27, 2014, 05:27:23 PM
Why not just use a game pad? 
Keyboard + Mouse is just fine with me.

Even a gamepad gives me a hard time.  In the console version the L-Stick is used for yaw and pitch while the R-Stick is used for throttle and roll.  This setting works very good for me.

The PC version setup of the gamepad has L-Stick=Roll and pitch and R-Stick=Yaw and throttle.  If I try re-assigning the sticks the way I prefer the game messes up sensitivities and I'm back in the same boat as I am with the logitech flightstick.  I'll play around some more though.  See next quote below:

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 27, 2014, 09:04:35 AM
I spent hours fiddling with dead-zones, gain multipliers and slider offsets until I finally got it dialed in to where it feels good.

Work on one axis at a time.  Make an adjustment then take a plane up for a test flight.  Rinse and repeat (vodka helps).

Thanks SDR.  Looks like I'm going to spend a day trying to dial in my flightstick.  I've got vodka so that's good!   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on December 27, 2014, 11:59:53 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 27, 2014, 11:49:32 PM

I dunno.  I would like to but end up playing arcade because it has less waiting time.

Very much a large part.  There is also better stuff out there for full-on multi-player simulators.  WT is the quick and dirty arcade for me, when I don't want to bust out all my hardware, put on my TrackIR, or wait ages for a match to start.  Not to mention being past my point of frustration with setting up a joystick in it. 

WT is a great game.. for a no-strings multi-player Arcade shooter.  I'll go jump into ROF or an IL-2 multiplayer match if I want to use the chrome; they're more satisfying when I do so and there is no waiting.

^-^

GDS_Starfury

an odd question but a serious one.
what hand do you use for the joystick and is it or is it not your dominant hand?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

jomni

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 28, 2014, 04:20:55 PM
what hand do you use for the joystick and is it or is it not your dominant hand?
I've been flying a HOTAS setup for years and I'm a leftie.

Father Ted

..and an important one for us south paws.   It's a tiny insight (for a white, middle-class male) into what it's like to be the subject of bigotry.  I've asked on forums where I can get a left-handed HOTAS setup and been told that real planes are for right-handed people, so I'd better just get used to flying right-handed.  If you're of the dextrous persuasion, then that probably seems reasonable, but you try playing a FPS with your mouse in your left hand and see how much fun it is.

Sorry to get all heavy, but I think that a lot of the time those of us in the secure majority say to those who feel discriminated against that they should just get a sense of humour, and it's not until it happens to you that you really appreciate how demeaning that sounds.

Ahem.  Apologies again.  Beer and whisky.

FWIW I learnt to fly (for real) in a glider and, for technical reasons, had to have right hand on stick.  I always wonder if I would have made a better pilot if I could have flown sinister

Silent Disapproval Robot

I get the same thing when I ask if it's possible to remap the key bindings in games.  It's getting more and more common that it's not possible and I find that irritating.  I still haven't been able to play Divinity:OS because the devs would rather focus on adding things like Bratislavian dialect localization than key re-bindings. 

Oddly, I'm not too bothered by using a joystick with my right hand though.  I suspect it's partially due to the fact that my first two cars were manual transmission and I just got used to using my weak arm to shift gears all the time.

Nefaro

I'm right-handed so I don't have the same issue as Jomni and SDR. 

Although varying amounts of carpal tunnel in both hands can cause trouble.  :-\  Having to constantly push an SE5's or DVII's nose far forward in ROF (to fly level) can get increasingly painful, even on a stick with light spring resistance.