Share your Screenshots!

Started by TheCommandTent, April 02, 2012, 09:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuna

I guess I'm lucky, I'm a lefty.. but I feel comfortable doing things right handed.. i also do things like throw,, bat, golf righty.. I think it's because my brothers 'taught' me that way when I was lil..

GDS_Starfury

interesting how many of us are south paws.  8)
"they" say we're in our right minds and I tend to agree.
as an artist I've had to become ambidextrous but it's never felt natural to fly right handed.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

jomni

I use my left hand only when writing andown using chopsticks. I use my right hand for everything else (joy stick, guitar).

W8taminute

It's so good to see fellow southpaws here!!

Here's my specs:

Eat with left
Write with left
Bats left
Throws right
mouse hand is right
joystick hand is right
gamepad hand I'm stronger with the L-stick vs. the R-stick hence I prefer pitch and yaw to be on the L-Stick with roll and thruster on the the R-stick
Trigger finger and grip is with left hand
Right hand is for reloading the magazine
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Martok

Quote from: jomni on December 22, 2014, 06:37:43 PM
Storming a castle.  Takeda 3 revisited.  Still good and has its own charm vs. Shogun 2.  Graphics are meh. :P  But those portraits are great!  Clan banners are accurate.

Nice!  Makes me want to dig up and reinstall my copy of Sango 2

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

jomni

I think Sango 2 is still better than Takeda 3.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on December 29, 2014, 05:18:16 PM
I think Sango 2 is still better than Takeda 3.

In what way?

I picked up Takeda 3 and the other worldwide-ancient one awhile back on a Gamersgate sale.  I recall buying the original Takeda long ago after it first came out and had hoped for future improvements to the engine, but I don't think they quite kept up with the times.  That's not to say they're bad, just showing a lot of age.  Even the original looked a bit old when it was released.

Didn't play the two latest ones much.  While I could get past the old 3D graphics and some of the odd UI, the strategic army movement just felt more like creating new armies and sending them down the same pipelines toward the next city.  Dueling Pneumatic Transfer Tubes at the bank.  It may work well once you've spread out a bit, I'm not sure, but it looked to be railroaded too much to me.  Perhaps you guys have had a different experience?

I like the detailed, almost RPG, treatment of generals with lots of stats.  Gives them strengths & weaknesses.  I also enjoy the limited battlefield control, restricting the fast & easy unit micromanagement in games like the Total War series which made them more click-fest arcade than battlefield command.  Places more emphasis on the initial plan and orders.

jomni

Sango generals can do more stuff like espionage.  In Takeda, you need ninjas to do the espionage tasks. Although there are item slots for each character,  I have yet to see any special item in Takeda unlike Sango. The games are basically the same in most aspects.

The game shines in the battles if you can forgive the 2D sprites. It features real asian battle formations, a manageable UI. And amazing portraits of Generals.  And if you are into Japanese history, accurate banners for most prominent generals. You can set up off map flanking forces or counter flanking forces as mentioned in most Three Kingdoms and Sengoku Jidai accounts.  There seems to be a bit of an orders delay, morale implications, and Head Quarters (lose it and you will be faced with consequences).  A small army can defeated a large one by taking the head quarters if you manage to find a way to do so with your flanking detachment.

Strategic war is streamlined in a good way.  Each base (castle / town) produces units automatically and puts them in you reserves similar to Koei games. The rate of production depends on your infrastructure.  You also need to stockpile supplies. 

Units are useless without generals to actually lead them so you need to keep a sizable pool of generals as well.  Keep them happy and loyal.  Reward them for performance and level them up when you can.  These general can die,  be captured and switch sides.

Most of the strategic game is about forming armies with your generals and taking enemy cities.  There is no stack of doom like most other games.  An army has an upper limit for number of Generals and each general can bring along a limited number of troops.  Also you need to carry supplies which can be burned through enemy espionage. A hungry army routs quickly.  Each base also has an upper limit for the number of troops it can house.  It stops producing troops once you reach the limit.

The famous exploits of Three Kingdoms and Sengoku Jidai heroes holding larger forces at bay due to cunning and tactical prowess seems so much more achievable in this game than Total War (combination of strategic map actionS to delay, demoralize, burn supplies, and tactical actions like off map flanking).  Force limits enable a small faction to engage a larger enemy one army stack at a time.   When playing the larger force, you can still bulldoze the enemy bit it involves sending armies in smaller stacks and some of them might falter.

Think of these games as simpler Koei games with more interesting tactical battles (a touch of Total War).

Diplomacy is simple. Form and break alliances, declare war, ask to declare war, ask for joint attack, arrange marriages, etc.  There is enough feedback to know the status of your relationship and the factors affecting it.

Nefaro

Thanks for the info Jomni.  O0

MengJiao

Quote from: mirth on December 24, 2014, 06:16:01 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on December 24, 2014, 05:12:02 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on December 24, 2014, 02:48:10 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 24, 2014, 02:05:33 PM
They've added the Ilya Muromets? I'll have to get back into it then. I actually prefer flying bombers and seaplanes to flying scouts.

Yes.  The Bomber and the Tarnopol (East Front) region are a free update.  Well the bomber isn't free, but the Russian Nieuprot is.

More of the East Front in 1916

Gorgeous.

It is odd how relaxed the Lewis-gunner is up there without a care in the world as he sits on the gas tanks (I think that's what those things are) and waits for the enemy to arrive and take some shots at him...up there sitting on the gas tanks.

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on December 30, 2014, 03:13:35 PM

It is odd how relaxed the Lewis-gunner is up there without a care in the world as he sits on the gas tanks (I think that's what those things are) and waits for the enemy to arrive and take some shots at him...up there sitting on the gas tanks.

The pilots of single- and two-seater planes in WWI were generally surrounded by fuel tanks.  Sometimes both in front and back.  There is even an aux tank in the center upper wing of the SPAD XIII.   

Burning to death on the way down was the top fear and it happened often enough.  Between the regular mechanical problems and people shooting at them, they had to be some crazy sumbitches to fly what equated to a pile of wood with gas on it.

WallysWorld

Quote from: Nefaro on December 30, 2014, 05:18:01 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on December 30, 2014, 03:13:35 PM
The pilots of single- and two-seater planes in WWI were generally surrounded by fuel tanks.  Sometimes both in front and back.  There is even an aux tank in the center upper wing of the SPAD XIII. 
Burning to death on the way down was the top fear and it happened often enough.  Between the regular mechanical problems and people shooting at them, they had to be some crazy sumbitches to fly what equated to a pile of wood with gas on it.

After finally installing Rise of Flight after buying it two years ago, I'm really enjoying the game. So much so that I watched the excellent 1976 movie "Aces High" again. I shudder every time I see Malcolm McDowell's character trying to stand up in his cockpit to change his MG ammo during the fight. Those guys were really brave.

And then the part about not being allowed parachutes as Mcdowell's Gresham said "The high command would rather lose experienced pilots and replace them with young lads".
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Nefaro

Quote from: WallysWorld on December 30, 2014, 05:31:28 PM

After finally installing Rise of Flight after buying it two years ago, I'm really enjoying the game. So much so that I watched the excellent 1976 movie "Aces High" again. I shudder every time I see Malcolm McDowell's character trying to stand up in his cockpit to change his MG ammo during the fight. Those guys were really brave.

And then the part about not being allowed parachutes as Mcdowell's Gresham said "The high command would rather lose experienced pilots and replace them with young lads".

Regarding McDowell standing up, there was a personal account of a pilot in an earlier aircraft unlatching and standing up in his seat to fix a gun jam or something of the sort.  His plane reportedly rolled over when he accidentally pushed the stick over too much with his legs or feet and he fell out of the cockpit, managing to grab hold of the gun.  He said that he miraculously managed to lift his feet up into the cockpit and kick at the stick a few times before it actually took and righted itself, dropping him back in. 

That's some crazy sheeiz right there.  Lucky bastid.

Staggerwing

I recall reading something along those lines. Wasn't he left hanging from the very same ammo drum that he was trying to unstick when his crate went inverted?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 30, 2014, 09:50:32 PM
I recall reading something along those lines. Wasn't he left hanging from the very same ammo drum that he was trying to unstick when his crate went inverted?

Yep!

:idiot2: