Main Menu

HEEELLPPPP!

Started by bob48, March 15, 2014, 03:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

how drastic is reinstalling windows for you?

GDS_Starfury

in China Fists of Fury is an excellent kung fu movie.
in Germany its something very different.  :o
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

undercovergeek

i have to give points to star for being able to turn a tech help thread into a wanking discussion  ;D

bob48

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 15, 2014, 06:17:03 PM
how drastic is reinstalling windows for you?

Very - for one thing, they don't give you a copy of windows when you buy a PC anymore. I could do a factory reinstall from the partitioned back-up on the HD, but then I would loose everything on the PC - I really need to be able to get this external HD to work so that I can back stuff up. Its daft because I just put some stuff on a 16gb flash drive and that worked OK, but there again, the drivers were already installed for that.

This PC is around 2.5 years old now, and I have a lot of stuff on it, its a bloody 1.5 Tb HD, and, although its by no means anywhere near full, there is still a lot of stuff on it.

I'm not a happy bunny  :(
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

If the 'stuff' you want to save is individual files (pix, music, documents, etc) could you upload them to Google Drive or a similar cloud drive before the clean install? for $5 US/month you can get 100GB (1TB for $10). You only need it long enough to redownload. See if you can install the app under the free 15GB thingie first. If good, then migrate that data!

https://www.google.com/settings/storage?hl=en
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

eyebiter

bob48

Partly solved by the ever patient Mrs.B

Whilst I was decorating this morning, she had a look and managed to get device manager to detect the HD and download missing drivers, so it now works OK and I have saved maybe 28Gb to it. Its not an old drive BTW, its a new Toshiba with 1Tb capacity using USB 3.0.

I still have issues with the PC, but I'm a lot happier now that I've been able to do my back-ups.

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

I'm going to park the IT Bawbulance in the vehicle bay.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Quote from: Gusington on March 16, 2014, 11:10:02 AM
I'm going to park the IT Bawbulance in the vehicle bay.

Keep the keys handy, Gus - it may still be needed ;)

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

The engine is idling. I'll sweep up the place.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Quote from: Gusington on March 16, 2014, 01:53:31 PM
The engine is idling. I'll sweep up the place.

Good man.

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

so....  your wife is smarter then you.  ???

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

bob48

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 16, 2014, 03:22:52 PM
so....  your wife is smarter then you.  ???

Shut yer gob!.........................yes, so it would seem.

'Clip those corners'

GDS_Starfury

I shit you not but this is the very first time Ive heard of one of the womanfolk fixing a pc problem.