Rocket from Egypt hits Isreal

Started by Bison, April 05, 2012, 08:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I wish that this was an unexpected event, but I'm afraid it isn't.  I'm more surprised that it took this long since the Egyptian government was overthrown.  So glad that our leaders were so quick to embrace the "Arab Spring". 

A Grad rocket has landed in the southern Israeli city of Eilat, but has caused no damage or injuries, Israeli security officials said.

District police chief Ron Gertner told Israeli radio the rocket had been fired from Egypt's Sinai peninsula.

He said it struck a construction site close to a residential area shortly after midnight (21:00 GMT).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17620925

son_of_montfort

From what I understand, what looked like a move in the right direction for Egypt turned fairly into a return to hardline religious rule. IIRC the same thing happened in Libya, so not much improved there either.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Centurion40

As expected and feared.

Hopefully it is nothing more than part of a cycle of political/social evolution towards a stable and rational democratic nation.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Bison

I don't think the Egyptian Brotherhood has any interest in a democratic nation.

Steelgrave

At least Israel knows that we have their back!

Oh, wait....... >:(

Centurion40

Quote from: Bison on April 05, 2012, 11:58:15 AM
I don't think the Egyptian Brotherhood has any interest in a democratic nation.

Agreed.  Again, my hope is that this is a phase.  Unfortunately it might be a 200 year phase.
Any time is a good time for pie.

MIGMaster

Bison

Jimmy would only be pissed the rocket didn't land in a nation called Palestine.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Windigo

MOD NOTE:  Sorry Windy...funny, but this isn't R&P.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Staggerwing

He looks like he has long hair in that pic.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Windigo

Quote from: Windigo on April 09, 2012, 02:03:34 PM

don't even remember what it was exactly I posted....

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Martok

Quote from: son_of_montfort on April 05, 2012, 11:00:44 AM
From what I understand, what looked like a move in the right direction for Egypt turned fairly into a return to hardline religious rule. IIRC the same thing happened in Libya, so not much improved there either.
Indeed.  It appears the entire situation may turn out to be a prime application of NOT having stuck with the devil we knew for the devil we didn't... 

Quote from: Windigo on April 09, 2012, 06:52:17 PM
Quote from: Windigo on April 09, 2012, 02:03:34 PM

don't even remember what it was exactly I posted....
Were you that drunk?  Or simply tired?  :P 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces