Games on my wish list right now

Started by Toonces, October 21, 2012, 10:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Not that I need any new games, but I have a handful of games queued(?) up for purchase in the near future.  I'm not sure why I haven't bought them yet; I guess I'm just waiting for a time when I know I'll actually sit down and play them...and they're not like $5.

First up is: Dark Souls.  I was really anticipating this game for a while, it came out, and somehow I just forgot all about it.  I just got done reading some reviews of it and it sounds like a lot of fun, and if it takes an average player 60 hours to complete then it will take me 100 hours at least.  At $40 it's not cheap, but I don't know that I want to wait till Christmas sale on this one.

Next is a toss up between Chivalry and War of the Roses.  I did the WotR beta and didn't fall in love with the game, but it seems like maybe they worked out a lot of the kinks from the beta.  I had thought for sure that Chivalry was going to be a must buy after the WotR beta fell flat, but now I'm second guessing myself.  Neither is clearly better than the other, and they both do something unique that the other doesn't.  I find myself considering buying both, although I don't know that I have enough space in my life for TWO medieval FPS combat games (and let's not forget the cRPG mod for Mount and Blade that I already have a heavy investment in).  Anyway, I think WotR might be getting the lean just now, although for $30 it also isn't "cheap."

Finally, I've been eyeballing Guild Wars 2, thanks to Huw's excellent posts.  That screenshot with the whale was pretty epic.  I've been trying to get into Lord of the Rings Online but it isn't grabbing me at all, and I'm worried that GW2 is just more of the same.  I mean, all of these types of games seem awfully similar to me.  I have high hopes that Bethesda does something amazing with their Elder Scrolls MMO.

Anyway, I'm on the road this week, so I'll have some time to think on this some more, and Friday should be a good day to pull the trigger on one of these. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

son_of_montfort

Darks Souls is a terrible PC port. Terrible. I would skip it, IMHO. I can't even play it without modification and it still looks and controls poorly.

Guild Wars 2, is a ton of fun, so that would be a good next choice.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Kushan

I think I'm done buying games for the year. Between finishing Skyrim, CK2, X-Com, and Guild Wars 2 my limited gaming time is already filled. The only thing I can for see myself getting is the new Distant Worlds expansion if it comes out this year. Masters of a Broken World looks good, I don't know if I'm going to have the time though.

I second the vote for Guild Wars 2. One of the best MMO's I've ever played.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Toonces

Interesting comments on Dark Souls.  It got an 85 on Gamespot and those guys seem to be very much in line with my own thoughts on games most of the time.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Bison

I list of recommendations goes something like this...
Borderlands 2 - great shooter for those time you just want to not think and just shoot things other than zombies
XCOM - fun tactical battles and strategy game.
Torchlight 2 - Excellent hack and slash.  Puts Diablo 3 to shame with it's awesomeness.
Conflict of Heroes - Nice boardgame port to PC with a good AI for those time you want to push chits, but just not hundreds of them.

The problem with Guild Wars 2 is its a commitment of your game time unlike the normal fair you put on the Friday threads.

tgb

Right now my gaming plate is pretty full, what with XCOM and, soon,  Fallen Enchantress.   Plus if things get really boring I can always reinstall SotS II and see if it's actually a good game now.

The only titles I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy in the remainder of the year are Master of the Broken World and Twilight Struggle, unless either or both gets lousy feedback.  Of course, one never knows what the holiday sales will bring, does one?

Gusington

Toonces if you do get Dark Souls please post your thoughts, I have been curious about it too.

I am really looking forward to Commander: The Great War.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Personally I don't really have a huge wishlist of future titles, but I suppose something like this.

CMBN Patch for the CMFI improvements
Next CM expansion
Bioshock Infinity

Grim.Reaper

Really nothing too specific on my radar....not that it would matter since iam not much of a planner but instead impulse buyer:). I am sure I will buy a bunch of worthless holiday sale items.

MetalDog

MechWarrior Online on three conditions:

1) Price point.  Too expensive=no buy

2) A Grogheads guild

3) No pay to play
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

TheCommandTent

Definitely XCOM once it goes on sale.

I am tempted by Unity of Command but just can't pull the trigger yet.

Distant Worlds but again waiting for a sale.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Kushan

Quote from: MetalDog on October 22, 2012, 08:06:13 PM
MechWarrior Online on three conditions:

1) Price point.  Too expensive=no buy

2) A Grogheads guild

3) No pay to play

1) The second to lowest tier of credits you can buy right is $15 USD for 3,000 MechWarrior Credits. The Atlas, which is the most expensive mech you can buy is 4,500 MechWarrior credits. Or you can use the trial mechs to get the in game only currency and buy mechs that way.

2) I'd really like to get one going when it goes live.

3) Its freemium. You can pay real money for mechs or you can earn it all in game. They haven;t announced it but I wouldn't be surprised if they went the Tribes: Ascend route at let you use real money credits to buy things like XP boosts, etc.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Arctic Blast

Not a whole lot.

Scourge of War stuff from Matrix
Combat Mission : Normandy & Italy
Alea Iacta Est

A bunch of stuff to look out for during Steam's Christmas sale :
Dishonored
Mark of the Ninja
Max Payne 3
Castle Crashers
Lego Batman 2

Knavery

Dark Souls is by far one of the best games out there. However, as mentioned above, it wasn't a good port by any means. But, if you don't mind using a controller, and applying a resolution fix, it plays just like the consoles. 

About the controls... The game has some of the tightest controls of any game that I've played in my 30 years of gaming. Typically, if you make a mistake and die, it's your fault. It's not a run and gun RPG where you just swing your sword around and button mash. You have to go in with your shield up before attacking--learn the enemies movements.

What makes the game brilliant is the addiction to making different builds. You can make a strength build to carry some of the heavier weapons in the game. So naturally, you pump up strength, vitality, and endurance. Endurance is important because it allows you to block additional blows, or swing your weapons more times before your bar runs out.

I've been playing the game for over a year and am still playing with different builds. But like I said, if you don't feel like using a controller, skip the PC version. Some people have gotten it to work, but it's not worth the learning curve. I do believe it's coming back to the consoles with the additional content in the very near future if that's an option.