Heroes & Generals is looking good

Started by jomni, May 08, 2014, 06:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Soooo... is this another "battle arena" like WoT?  Or is it closer to a remake of Battleground: Europe (WW2 Online) or whatever the name changed to?

TacticalWargames

Played the beta a long ime ago now..had promise.

jomni

More like Battleground Europe (WW2 Online) with it's persistent campaign.
But battle mechanics are more like BF1942.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: jomni on May 08, 2014, 10:03:21 PM
More like Battleground Europe (WW2 Online) with a persistent campaign.

Gameplay was a big turnoff for me. Too gamey.

Great concept, and I think the developers are trying to avoid some of the same mistakes from WW2OL

Tinkershuffle

Now that some of my friends have gotten excited about the game I've also started to play it again after two years break. It's good clean fun and I highly recommend everyone to try it, it's free after all.

Nefaro

I do like the idea of the persistent faction campaign.. something many others desperately need.  I definitely enjoyed WW2OL years ago but it felt so primitive, even back then.  Can't say I've ever had a big multi-player experience like that again, where I could take an AT gun and set up an ambush.. in some bushes.. then jump into a plane or tank after I die and continue on in such a huge arena.  I don't miss the utter clunkiness of the program, but the scope was damn impressive.

If this one approaches that scope, I may have to check it out.  Although they probably don't have AT guns & such, do they?

jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on May 09, 2014, 02:10:30 AM
I do like the idea of the persistent faction campaign.. something many others desperately need.  I definitely enjoyed WW2OL years ago but it felt so primitive, even back then.  Can't say I've ever had a big multi-player experience like that again, where I could take an AT gun and set up an ambush.. in some bushes.. then jump into a plane or tank after I die and continue on in such a huge arena.  I don't miss the utter clunkiness of the program, but the scope was damn impressive. 
If this one approaches that scope, I may have to check it out.  Although they probably don't have AT guns & such, do they?

Just to give an overview of the game.

You get the persistent Western Europe map with nodes.  Each node represents a limited area "Battlefield-type" map with control points for the FPS player.  Take note that there aren't enough maps to represent each node so there is repetition of maps.  But the map chosen depend on the features in the grand campaign (rivers, bridges, town, etc.).  Unlike WW2 Online, there is no scale map of Europe.  There is no long travel time as well.  You just pick a node with a battle going on and play.

There are Generals who direct the movement across the node of organic units like in a typical Close Combat campaign.  A battle happens when there is a contested node with opposing units present.  Each unit has it's own TOE just like Close Combat.  This means that the Heroes (FPS players) can only choose classes that are available in the TOE and their choice is limited to the class allotment (like in Red Orchestra) and number of tickets, etc.

There is also career progression for FPS players with persistent skills and unlockables (weapons / equipment).

Nefaro

That doesn't sound bad.  Although it still probably comes down to how much you enjoy the fps side of things.

Nefaro

Got around to downloading and trying this today.

Well... downloading, anyway.  Evidently they've had more demand than they can handle so they implemented a user login limit in the past couple days.  So it just keeps saying "Server unavailable" whenever I try to log in just as the dev message says it will when at capacity.  I don't expect to be able to try it anytime soon.  :-\

Looks like I'll have to resort to performing terribly in RO2/RS again for awhile.  The wide mix of unit types and the overarching campaign in H&G does look fun, though, if I can ever get in.

MengJiao

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on May 08, 2014, 10:05:09 PM

Great concept, and I think the developers are trying to avoid some of the same mistakes from WW2OL

It's very gamey, but there are some fun things:

1) the M1 rifle is just as fine a weapon as it was in some Red Orchestra mods
2) bicycles can be very useful in the game
3) some parts of the terrain are extremely well designed for fighting

And some disappointments:
1) lots of fiddly purchasing of things like ammo and modifications
2) I bought a jeep with an light MG, but as a Rank 1 player, I can't go to battles that allow vehicles (at least I think that is the problem)
3) At peak times it takes a long time to get into a battle

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: MengJiao on July 14, 2014, 09:33:29 AM

2) I bought a jeep with an light MG, but as a Rank 1 player, I can't go to battles that allow vehicles (at least I think that is the problem)

The damage model was just god-awful. Hitting someone repeatedly with a 7.92mm or .30-06 and then watching them jump along and no-scope you.

No thanks. Those days are done for me.

The game also has a very 'pay to win' feel to it. A few years ago I decided to invest $10 and i bought me a slew of equipment. It was great, but again, I'm not into that kind of thing.

MengJiao

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on July 14, 2014, 10:50:08 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 14, 2014, 09:33:29 AM

The damage model was just god-awful. Hitting someone repeatedly with a 7.92mm or .30-06 and then watching them jump along and no-scope you.

No thanks. Those days are done for me.

The game also has a very 'pay to win' feel to it. A few years ago I decided to invest $10 and i bought me a slew of equipment. It was great, but again, I'm not into that kind of thing.

I can definitely understand somebody's not liking this game.  The "play-to-win" feel is an understatement; it costs something (and there are multiple thousands of point or 3 point somethings) to do anything -- get more ammo, buy a jeep etc.etc.  It has all the bad FPS things:
health bars, healing boxes, awful damage models and so on....
  But all my old FPS reflexes are working.  Maybe when I get to rank 3 or whatever it takes to be able to drive vehicles, I can try my favorite Red Orchestra mod combo: the M-3 halftrack and the grease gun.  In fact the bicycle+grenades seems about as good: drive deep into German land (or until the shooting starts -- nobody can resist shooting at a bicycle and usually the cyclist isn't hit) -- jump off and grenade your way to a capture point and hold on there with your M1.

Nefaro

It wasn't bad, but also feels rather simplistic in some ways. 

However, if I feel like a WW2 first-person shooter, I'll just play Red Orchestra 2 & Rising Storm multi-player.  Despite being rather mediocre at it.  :)

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on July 14, 2014, 01:06:03 PM
It wasn't bad, but also feels rather simplistic in some ways. 

However, if I feel like a WW2 first-person shooter, I'll just play Red Orchestra 2 & Rising Storm multi-player.  Despite being rather mediocre at it.  :)

I may not play much HG in the long run, but right now I am enjoying some of the terrain and the bicycle and the M1 rifle and the prospect of menacing the Germans with a jeep equiped with an LMG and bazookas.  Oh and I bought some binoculars too!