The Infantilisation of Gaming

Started by RooksBailey, July 28, 2014, 09:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Nastyface

Not this site, slash...I think the OP and the article referenced is talking about is why in general are most game sites / reviews / previews geared towards the lowest common denominator when clearly that is not who we as gamers are.  In other words:  should the likes of us be more vocal on other sites, or would that be a too Sisyphean task?
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on August 02, 2014, 01:28:38 AMshould the likes of us be more vocal on other sites, or would that be a too Sisyphean task?

Why - oh, WHY?! - do you need other sites?!  ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

There are other sites? I know what you're saying Jack. My wife already tells me I'm too vocal.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

republic

I'm in complete agreement with the OP and the Positech blog post.  The problem is that I don't know if there is a solution, other than sites like this to bring people of like mind together.

A couple of days ago I had a few moments free and thought I'd hop into ARMA3 and have a go.  Within about 15 minutes some late teen early twenties guy starts yelling that player X needs to switch teams so he can come over here and suck his....and there ya go.

The problem is that given anonymity, it seems a large portion of adult humanity loses all sense of said humanity.  Then you have the unsupervised minors learning how to socialize on the internet with those same humanity-less adults.  From this you get games of DOTA where your own team tells you to turn off your computer and go slit your own wrists.

Cursing doesn't necessarily bother me, but it should be used like seasoning.  I've heard some podcasts where the obscenities are just ridiculous, almost like a computer just strung them together at random.  Most likely I think it is a 'cool' cover up for a simple lack of broadcast ability.

I do wish there were more mature podcasts that discussed gaming that i could have on in the car with the kids...but that will probably never happen.  The closest I've found is Aviatorcast which discusses flight sims among other aviation topics.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: republic on August 03, 2014, 10:35:40 AM
I do wish there were more mature podcasts that discussed gaming that i could have on in the car with the kids...but that will probably never happen. 

One of these days....
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 03, 2014, 12:05:31 PM
Quote from: republic on August 03, 2014, 10:35:40 AM
I do wish there were more mature podcasts that discussed gaming that i could have on in the car with the kids...but that will probably never happen. 

One of these days....

"Pow!  Right in the kisser!?"

:))

Toonces

Sisyphus (ˈsɪsɪfəs)
n
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) Greek myth a king of Corinth, punished in Hades for his misdeeds by eternally having to roll a heavy stone up a hill: every time he approached the top, the stone escaped his grasp and rolled to the bottom

Wow, Jack! 

:) for even knowing that term.
:)   :)  For pulling it out in a red wine drunk rant!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs