VoidExpanse - it's Space Rangers in real time! (Linux, Mac, Windows)

Started by Huw the Poo, January 16, 2015, 05:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Website

Steam Greenlight (game is greenlit and will go live shortly)

VoidExpanse is heavily inspired by Space Rangers, and that much is evident after only a quick play.  On the surface, at least, it basically is Space Rangers, only in real time.  You control your ship EV Nova style (or a cursor-follow style) and join factions, get loot, fight pirates, mine asteroids, fend off the Alien Menace!!!  Upgrade your ship with better grapplers, engines, shields, weapons (several different types including mines) etc.  Dock at stations to refuel, repair, trade and get missions, etc.

It's all there.  Anyone who has played the magnificent Space Rangers will feel instantly at home, other than the real time aspect.  You begin with a shitty little shuttle and a single contact on the nearest station who will teach you the barest of basics, get you a slightly better hull, and send you on your way.  As with Space Rangers, there's a storyline but you're basically free to do whatever you like.

You pick a class which apparently restricts you to certain skills unless you choose the Adventurer which has no restrictions but no bonuses either.  Mining, fighting, trading and all that good stuff will earn you XP which you spend on improving your skills in an impressively large tech tree, split into combat, piloting, engineering and social.  The (randomly generated) galaxy is full of other ships doing their thing, with jumpgates leading to other systems which have varying levels of security and tech.  Different types of stations will offer different types of loot.  The developers have said that adding stuff will not end with the release of the game and they have loads planned.  It's also been designed to be easily modded via XML files, if I'm not mistaken.

Look, I could go on, but this game essentially is Space Rangers.  Only real time.  Based on my initial short test it looks extremely promising.  Now is also the perfect time to jump in as the price will increase as soon as it's live on Steam.  Right now I believe a single copy is $10, with additional tiers adding a few rewards such as wallpapers and the OST.  I'll be playing this throughout the weekend and will be happy to answer questions.

Oh, one last thing...CROSS PLATFORM MULTIPLAYER!

Tpek

Thanks for the heads up.
It appears that if one gets it from the official website now, you can still get it for 10$ instead of 15$.

Nefaro

I've had this on my Wishlist for awhile.

Just waiting on it to get feature complete and near end of early access.   O0

EDIT:  No, wait.  That was Void Destroyer, not Void Expanse.   :crazy2:

I've seen this around before but wasn't sure about the top-down real-time shooty style.  Maybe I should check it out sometime if it has as much RPG to it as SR2.

Huw the Poo

Well, it's at the end of alpha if that's any good to you.  The Steam release marks the beginning of beta, although it's already very stable and definitely playable.  I've just had another session and am really, really enjoying it.  Considering Space Rangers is unavailable on Linux, this is a very welcome addition to my library. :)

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Nefaro on January 16, 2015, 07:37:55 PM
I've seen this around before but wasn't sure about the top-down real-time shooty style.  Maybe I should check it out sometime if it has as much RPG to it as SR2.

There's RPG a-plenty.  Loads of potential to develop your character and a story largely of your own making, as well as a main story to work through.  Against the background of a randomly-generated galaxy, how can you possibly resist?!

Huw the Poo

Been pootling about in this on and off all weekend so far.  Still feeling really positive about it.  I don't know whether I mentioned it, but this is Space Rangers!  I've been taking missions from people on stations, fighting off the odd alien attack, owning pirates left right and centre and selling (or sometimes installing) their loot.  I've been talking to brokers to find decent trade routes.  I've bought a couple of new ships...I'm now up to a heavy frigate with two tracking energy weapon turrets and a single stationary turret.  That stationary turret has a level 2 beam weapon installed which makes mincemeat of pirates but is a lot more difficult to aim since I have to point my ship at my target; quite difficult in the heat of combat.

Trading requires some dedication, as most hulls are combat or engineering focused which severely limits cargo space.  Of course there's nothing stopping you owning multiple hulls (you get separate storage space at every friendly station) so you can keep that massive freighter parked somewhere while you go pirate hunting in your sleek fighter.  Handily, buying a new hull automatically transfers your equipment to it which saves a lot of effort.

I've jumped into the main storyline a bit, but my first real quest (to join a faction) is proving to be a long one.  I picked The Order, whoever the hell they are, and before I can even join I need recommendations from four different officers.  I've just completed a mission for number 2 so I'm halfway there.  Joining a faction apparently confers bonuses but I have no idea what they might be.  The galaxy is divided into territories belonging to the various factions (six overall); wander into the territory of a faction that doesn't like you and be prepared to fight the whole time.

I've picked up some decent upgrades too...I'd say 50/50 between looting pirates and buying.  My old fuel tank was a pain in the arse, having, as it did, a measly 300 capacity which meant refuelling very often.  I've just bought a new one with 1,000 capacity and I have yet to need fuel for it.

Mining is as it always is in these games...boring and mostly hands-off but a simple and relatively safe way to make money.  Actually I've just acquired a nanobot thing which will repair my ship without the need for consumables, but it needs ore to run so I've just found a new reason to mine.

I've done a fair bit of skilling up.  Some tech is restricted according to your skills, and some skills are restricted according to your level.  So far I've mainly focused on piloting skills which has vastly improved my cruise speed (cruise is a kind of intra-system high speed drive that is essential when you're not fighting or mining) and also some combat skills to improve things like turret tracking speed.  The game is generous with XP and I haven't once felt any need to grind so far.

Most stations have characters that offer missions by the way.  I haven't ever felt like I have nothing to do yet.  Anyway, enough talking and more playing.  I'll post more impressions later.  Once the game has gone gold (very soon according to the devs) I might start mixing it up on the multiplayer servers.  I think it would open up a whole new dimension when there are other players in the galaxy with the same goals.  Remember how in Space Rangers it was possible to win the game but with an AI-controlled ranger achieving the actual victory?  Imagine that with real people!

Tpek

It's a pretty fun game.
And much easier to get into than Elite Dangerous.

Huw the Poo

Ah, you got it Tpek!  Nice one.  How is your game going?  More importantly - how are you making cash?  I haven't tried a lot of trading yet but I think missions have been the highest earner for me so far.

Yskonyn

When I look at the trailer it reminds me much of S.P.A.Z. , is that a fair observation?
Seems like a very fun game and the fact that you can even host a multiplayer server with all the SP functionality is very cool. I might even be able to setup a persistent server for Grogheads if that would be something people find fun. :D

Don't have the game just yet, but I think I am going to get this. SPAZ and Space Rangers were cool!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 19, 2015, 02:56:04 AM
When I look at the trailer it reminds me much of S.P.A.Z. , is that a fair observation?
Seems like a very fun game and the fact that you can even host a multiplayer server with all the SP functionality is very cool. I might even be able to setup a persistent server for Grogheads if that would be something people find fun. :D

Don't have the game just yet, but I think I am going to get this. SPAZ and Space Rangers were cool!

SPAZ was fun too.  I liked it more for the random system generation and such than the top-down shooter stuff, but no complaints.  The sequel should be out early this year.

Nefaro

Damn.. it has multiplayer?

Something like this would definitely require a very long host session.  ???

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 19, 2015, 02:56:04 AM

Well I guess it's fairly similar, although I have to say that I didn't like SPAZ.  I can't remember why, so that isn't much help I'm afraid!  But I really like VoidExpanse!  There's certainly more to do if I'm not mistaken.

Nef, with regard to multiplayer, I haven't looked into it yet but I assume the servers are persistent.  I'll do some research later if time permits.

Tpek

Yskonyn

Yes persistent servers are in!

Got the game yesterday evening. Seems like a steal for 9 bucks.
There even is a discount on a 3 pack! *wink
:)

Havent put much time in yet, but it seems like a fun time waster, especially with friends on a persistent server.

Anyone interested in a GH server?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

It would be a dedicated server online 24/7. I can run it -at least as a test- for some time.