FREE Chess resources

Started by -budd-, November 24, 2017, 09:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmbgolf

I am a huge lurker that just reads post and doesnt post but I am  a huge chess fan ...watch it play it study it and am still bad at it.Member at icc and chess.com didnt really care for lichess.

Sorry let me get back to lurking.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Toonces on November 25, 2017, 05:53:35 PM
Maybe we could get a Grogheads chess group together and do some online playing?

Note that I reserve the right to AAR any of my games -- using Regicide hotseat to recreate our moves.  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bob48

I learned to play chess in school and even joined the chess club. I've played a lot over the years. Its still a great game.

Note, I also play Shogi, which is Japanese chess.

http://japanesechess.org/shogi2014/
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

-budd-

I added some android/Ipod/Iphone free chess resources to the bottom of the first post.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

spelk

I've dabbled with Lichess, it seems good for online play, and even has a mobile port. All free.

What is NOT free is a Masterclass with Kasperov.

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/garry-kasparov-teaches-chess

If you want to be taught chess by the best, using personally coached video and content... it's about £70 for the course with the main man. :) I bought it for my Brother's present this year.

-budd-

Added some new links to bottom of first post.

link to a PDF with a classification of ECO codes for saving and printing.
link to a ECO database PGN file to download and import into your database.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Thomas Davie

One other online chess resource has been mentioned once; chess.com

They have both free and paid modes. The free mode allows tou to select from ~10 'unlocked' bots; no limitation on the number of games played. Also allows Chess960 variant (my favourite at the moment as I am re-learning and don't care about opening tablebased). Paid mode(3 versions and monthly/yearly) allows/enables all bots and infinite analysis. Like other analyses this gives blunders and mistakes for both sides - and gives specific advice for improvement.

Chess.com and Lichess both allow the use of eboards

1 eboard I recommend is the DGT Smart board coupled with the DGT Pi computer module (which has 8 chess engines and is open source)

DGT Smartboard https://digitalgametechnology.com/products/home-use-e-boards/smart-board-with-indices
DGT Pi computer https://digitalgametechnology.com/products/chess-computers/dgt-pi-chess-computer-e-board-and-pieces-not-included

Another recommendation os the DGT Centaur, a combination e-board, e-ink display, flexible chess computer Has onboard graphical display of moves as well as the nifty mini-board in e-ink. Has a built in rechargeable battery, which is user changeable. very easy to set up custom positions.

The DGT Pi is a raspberry pie computer and has built in wifi, bluetooth, 3.5mm audio output jack (it announces the moves by computer display and voice)

The DGT Smartboard/DGT Pi combo allows you to play online at lichess or chess.com - but with your local physical e-board.

I haven't received the above toys yet but will update this old thread with photo's when the packages arrive.

There are some very nice Millenium e-boards and a couple of good computer modules to choose from

The DGT products I've mentioned/ordered above also allow you to interface with PC programs and some Mac programs, so you could for example, play against Hiarcs PC/Mac but using your physical e-boards.

Tom

Thomm

All other online games are kids' stuff compared to online chess.

Best regards,
Thomm

Edit: Thanks for the initial post, of course!!

Yskonyn

Thanks for the suggestions Thomas!  \m/

Whats your recommendation for a casual/beginner chess player? Centaur or Smart + Pi combo?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Thomas Davie

@Yskonin I've got 'all the time in the world' (just like Burgess Meredith in the old timey Twilight Zone). Am on early medical retirement, so toys and games are very important to me).

Fritz has free online play vs bots as well. It seems as if lots of the current chess programs are using Stockfish engine, which goes up an estimated 3500+ Elo on mu;ti-core systems. I can't beat anything so I'm starting at 1 or 2 minutes a move and playing Chess960 (so opening books are taken out of the computer's advantage against me)

Something as simple as allowing the computer to play 1 minute total think time/game against itself and then running the results through an analysis program os starting to help. At least I'm saying uh-oh earlier 🇨🇦

Tom

Thomas Davie

Add in the following free chess database/analysis programs

1) Arena Chess GUI runs under Crossover 22.something under OS Monterrey
2) ChessX native OS binary
3) SCID (Shane's Chess Information Database
4) Lucas Chess GUI runs under Crossover as above

Providing that you install Mac OS X engines (UCI) you can play games in all of these.

Tom