STEAM down for any of you?

Started by Destraex, June 26, 2019, 05:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJReich46

Ditto. Just got back in after trying out the new rig on Stellaris.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

ArizonaTank

I did not have problems today. But there was another outage a few days back.

The disturbing part was that I was not able to access anything in my account. The "not able to connect" message did not allow me to go into "off-line" mode. 

This lasted about 20 min. I saw on FB that many folks were having the exact same issue (ie. no option to  go off-line).

As long as I can get to my games off-line, I can abide a server outage.  But what happened the other day was not OK.

Hopefully this was just a one-off and not a preview of things to come.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Huw the Poo

Yep, that's Steam for you.  You have to be online to go offline, in other words, Valve expect you to be able to see the future.

During last Saturday's outage my friends and I were unable to play GTA Online, despite the fact that you play on Rockstar's servers.   :uglystupid2:

Gusington

Yeah that's what happened to me - 'no connection' and none of my games would start.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Ian C

Is there a contingency plan steam have that will 'unlock' all our steam games if they go bust?

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on October 01, 2019, 06:17:02 AM
Yeah that's what happened to me - 'no connection' and none of my games would start.

If you have no internet (or you disable your internet connection) you can start Steam in offline mode.
You will get a prompt with a message that there is no contact with the server and then you can select try again or start in offline mode.

Gusington

But my internet worked fine - if Steam is down with issues it would be good if the client could default to offline mode instead of us having to futz with it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on October 01, 2019, 09:02:38 AM
But my internet worked fine - if Steam is down with issues it would be good if the client could default to offline mode instead of us having to futz with it.

That is what I meant : you can get Steam to default to offline mode by temporarily switching off your internet connection.
It is not a perfect solution but could help people like ArizonaTank who can't access their library and can't start games offline.

bbmike

Another thing you can try (doesn't work for all games) is going directly to the folder where Steam installed the game and double-clicking on the game executable '.exe' file.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Ian C on October 01, 2019, 07:03:19 AM
Is there a contingency plan steam have that will 'unlock' all our steam games if they go bust?

or, maybe worse, they decide to charge a "small" maintenance fee.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Ian C on October 01, 2019, 07:03:19 AM

No.  People have often said that Valve promised such a thing, but nobody has ever been able to provide evidence of that.  It's one of the reasons I resisted Steam for years.

CJReich46

I was able to run Stellaris without Steam. But of course no link to Steamworks so...no mods.

Gusington

Ah ok Pete, I understand now. Most evenings by the time I can game, I am pretty fried to do anything beyond modding or gaming...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

Did you guys manage to get your Steam connections working yet?
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

CJReich46

Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 02, 2019, 03:02:13 PM
Did you guys manage to get your Steam connections working yet?

I did, but much later that evening.