War on the Sea coming soon! (from Killerfish Games)

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2020, 04:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millipede

IICptMillerII

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 27, 2021, 03:06:56 PM
This is good news, but much more interested in Sea Power.

Completely agree. Sea Power is at the top of my most anticipated list by far. Followed by Task force Admiral.

I'm cautiously optimistic about War On The Sea, though I'm still not sure if it will be a day one purchase from me. I'll probably give it a little time to see how the gameplay is and get a feel for if I would actually enjoy it.

hellfish6

Yeah, I'm gonna wait on this to see if there are any issues that need to be ironed out at release. Also, the KFG games just don't look as good without their old graphics team.

Toonces

I more than got my money's worth out of Cold Waters so I'm sure this game will please me.  You can definitely see the Cold Waters DNA in that video (IMO).

I'm far more excited about Seapower and TF:A, but this is still going to be a pleasant filler while we await those two games.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

rustyshackleford

Quote from: Toonces on January 27, 2021, 06:31:24 PM
I more than got my money's worth out of Cold Waters so I'm sure this game will please me.  You can definitely see the Cold Waters DNA in that video (IMO).

I'm far more excited about Seapower and TF:A, but this is still going to be a pleasant filler while we await those two games.

I looooooved Cold Waters and I'm right there with you - best bang-for-buck I've ever spent on a game.

It reminded me of the sims in the 90s I used to play that struck the perfect balance between accessible, simple sim-like mechanics with amazingly deep gameplay. Cold Waters is like crack for me, I can't even count the number of nights I've stayed up past 2am going "just one more engagement".

Toonces

There are some interesting mods to Cold Waters on Subsim that are worth checking out.  It always amazes me how far modders can push a game, even if it wasn't intended to be modded exactly.  There are new subs, new campaigns, realism tweaks, and all sorts of under-the-hood changes that really change the dynamics of the game.

I get it (I think) that Killerfish likely had to move on to something else to keep the revenue coming in, but I can't help but believe that they really missed an opportunity to push Cold Waters much, much further.  Are the Seapower guys part of the old Cold Waters team?  If so, that would make sense, because there was oh so much more to pull from that engine.

I'm not complaining like many others on Steam.  I got my $30 worth and then some with the content in Cold Waters.  I had hoped for more, only because I see the potential of something a bit lighter than CMO, but with enough meat to make it worthwhile as a sim rather than a pure game.  I certainly would have paid plenty more for DLCs.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

The_Admiral

The optimism doesn't have to be too cautious IMHO - this is the sort of game which most certainly cannot go wrong. Tactical layer is Great Naval Battles, Strategic layer is Task Force 1942, that's one of these games where you know in advance if it's your deal. I'll be among the first ones to buy & install it, for research of course, but also because I am a great fan of its precursors & the theater. I wouldn't wait too long on a discount though, Cold Waters waited one full year before getting a -30%, and another six months for its first -50% foray. If you want it while saving a few extra cents, I am going to say that the release discount on Steam is going to be by far your best bet.

QuoteI get it (I think) that Killerfish likely had to move on to something else to keep the revenue coming in, but I can't help but believe that they really missed an opportunity to push Cold Waters much, much further.  Are the Seapower guys part of the old Cold Waters team?  If so, that would make sense, because there was oh so much more to pull from that engine.

Let's say that some creative disagreements stemmed from this indeed and now brings them to the current situation. But well, won't complain, everybody gets to make what he wanted to make in the first place and you get two games made by passionate guys instead of one. Good deal in my book!

The_Admiral

Strange... Double post!  :pullhair:

Toonces

For something like this, honestly saving $10-20 isn't worth waiting for, for me.

I'm really curious to see how this compares to what TF:A ends up being.  Superficially they seem to be very similar in concept.

The_Admiral

I'd say, the background is definitely similar - mostly SOPAC in 1942 - the design philosophy & the expected result not so much.
Naturally I'll say so while being acutely aware that KF has a name & a game and we have none, so let's put to rest any sort of competition-related comment & the rest - I do respect heir work, I will happily enjoy it as a player, and there cannot be competition if there's nothing to be compared as of yet (aka an existing product on one hand, and a fleeting dream in the making on the other hand). But long story short, we do not focus on the same mechanics, the same scope, nor the same historical standards either. I'd summarize that as KF's tendency for bending the historical realism around reasonable expectations of the code in the service of good gameplay, while we are going for the opposite, that is (sometimes unreasonably) bending our code so that it answers as many challenges posed by historical realism as possible, and expect good gameplay to naturally derive from it. I deem these to be two rather different approaches at heart. One is more viable on the short term to produce a game using an immediately available range of techs and assets. The other is more akin dipping one's toe in cold, troubled, unknown waters that look familiar from afar, but bring their fair share of complications up-close (and believe me, being right now busy with the AI logic I can experience this feeling all the more!). To me, both designs are relevant, and all the more so considering they don't compete with each other so much as they complement each other in scope & time both.

Both our projects are being built with the expectation to last nonetheless, but I know already that whatever we are making is different enough to - hopefully - stand as a product of its own. For the very same reasons WotS will be a successful design, it is also a well-delimited one that still leaves us much room to play with, and we certainly intend to do very much that.

rustyshackleford

Quote from: Toonces on January 27, 2021, 07:59:33 PM
There are some interesting mods to Cold Waters on Subsim that are worth checking out.  It always amazes me how far modders can push a game, even if it wasn't intended to be modded exactly.  There are new subs, new campaigns, realism tweaks, and all sorts of under-the-hood changes that really change the dynamics of the game.

I get it (I think) that Killerfish likely had to move on to something else to keep the revenue coming in, but I can't help but believe that they really missed an opportunity to push Cold Waters much, much further.  Are the Seapower guys part of the old Cold Waters team?  If so, that would make sense, because there was oh so much more to pull from that engine.

I'm not complaining like many others on Steam.  I got my $30 worth and then some with the content in Cold Waters.  I had hoped for more, only because I see the potential of something a bit lighter than CMO, but with enough meat to make it worthwhile as a sim rather than a pure game.  I certainly would have paid plenty more for DLCs.

If you haven't already, check out the Cold Waters Epic Mod and it will definitely give the game some legs since we unfortunately won't get any DLC or official content. I'm not sure what the latest Epic Mod release is, but at the time I played it was mostly in Russian so your mileage may vary.

It made a good game great for me, especially after fixing the annoyingly and unrealistically accurate sonobuoys that helos would deploy in vanilla (rigged for silent running at 900 feet, all ahead slow @ 4 knots and somehow they'd always hear me from 10 miles away) :pullhair:

Toonces

Toonces

I hear you, Admiral.

I'm really, really looking forward to what your sim brings.  I don't see these two games as mutually exclusive.  I will admit to wondering just how far you can push 1942 carrier combat gameplay, beyond what has been done, but I'm certainly looking forward to it.  You already have my money, friend. 

MengJiao

Quote from: IICptMillerII on January 27, 2021, 05:19:56 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 27, 2021, 03:06:56 PM
This is good news, but much more interested in Sea Power.

Completely agree. Sea Power is at the top of my most anticipated list by far.

I have to admit Sea Power seems like the idea game for me at the moment.  I mean Ideal GAME (not "idea game")  But hey, I'm stuck in OCS (series mind you not system) where the little cardboard supply things can barely be transported by the little cardboard donkeys up the little cardboard hills to help the little cardboard people kill other little cardboard people...well you get the picture.