Digital Gaming > Computer Gaming

Old World from Soren Johnson

<< < (25/25)

Gusington:
Those were supposed to be ‘sealed.’

:/

MC:
Stuff I didn't know or forgot about because I'm too old to remember these things. I'm mostly referring to item 'c'.

The following was posted by the Old World developer on the Steam discussion board:

I realize this topic invokes strong feelings. However:

a) Old World didn't break any crowd-funding promises.

b) Old World didn't put the game up on Steam and then pull it off later.

c) Old World's publisher had run into financial difficulties and that publishing deal was cancelled, and the exclusive deal was what allowed the game to still be funded and made up to the full quality.

Even if someone considers themselves generally opposed to exclusives, they should be able to look at this case and understand how it is very different from the sorts of deals that have caused controversy. And they should be able to see how, in this case, an exclusive didn't deny them a game they were promised--instead it is what will give them a great game on any storefront they choose next year, delivering with an additional expansion alongside a complete game.

Gusington:
Thanks for posting, I didn’t know most of the above. Guess the Old World developers caught their share of flak for the Epic release…

devoncop:

--- Quote from: MC on October 13, 2021, 07:11:52 AM ---Stuff I didn't know or forgot about because I'm too old to remember these things. I'm mostly referring to item 'c'.

The following was posted by the Old World developer on the Steam discussion board:

I realize this topic invokes strong feelings. However:

a) Old World didn't break any crowd-funding promises.

b) Old World didn't put the game up on Steam and then pull it off later.

c) Old World's publisher had run into financial difficulties and that publishing deal was cancelled, and the exclusive deal was what allowed the game to still be funded and made up to the full quality.

Even if someone considers themselves generally opposed to exclusives, they should be able to look at this case and understand how it is very different from the sorts of deals that have caused controversy. And they should be able to see how, in this case, an exclusive didn't deny them a game they were promised--instead it is what will give them a great game on any storefront they choose next year, delivering with an additional expansion alongside a complete game.

--- End quote ---

I 100% do not blame the devs for re,easing on Epic in such circumstances.  Their logic is sound and I am happy to wait for what seems a superb product on what I consider to be a much more ethically acceptable platform than Epic.

It's a win win.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version