Main Menu

Aliens: Fireteam

Started by al_infierno, March 02, 2021, 03:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^Haha very true about the 'stache, Al. Stay frosty.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

I'll follow up my last post by saying it definitely feels like a mediocre game overall carried by its IP.  That said, for what it is, I'm digging it and I think if they polish it up and add more, it could be a solid KF/L4D style game.

Oh, as a pretty casual gamer it's keeping me satisfied difficulty-wise, and I like the challenge cards you can use, like removing the HUD or adding an overlay that makes it look like the camera feed screens in the APC.

I wrote a steam review that sums up my thoughts:

QuoteI can't recommend this game to anyone who's not a die-hard fan of Alien/s. Even if you are, I would recommend checking out Space Beast Terror Fright before you get this game.

SBTF is janky and low budget, but at least it provides everything I'd expect from a genuinely terrifying Aliens experience. You navigate dimly lit randomly generated space ships in search of power breakers (in case they cut the power) and map rooms (so a teammate can guide you through the labyrinth to your objective like Lt. Gorman in Aliens) and coolants to disable the power core, which you need to shut down and then escape the ship before it blows up. There are breaches that increase in number as the game goes on, and if you slip up, the Xenos kill you instantly with permadeath to your consistent gear and achievements. The basic gameplay loop really nails the feeling of being a fire team in the Aliens universe.

Fireteam Elite does nothing like that. It's a generic team shooter carried by its IP, and while it's not a bad game by any means, it's disappointing in comparison to lower budget indie projects. I'll be playing it more as it's a fun game, but it'd be generous to simply call it "unimaginative" beyond the implementation of the IP. The best I can say for it is that it's not terrible like Colonial Marines.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao