The Ascent - A Cyber Diablo Clone

Started by Gusington, May 19, 2021, 09:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

New System Shock coming very soon(ish)! Demo available on Steam as I type this!

E.Y.E ranks up there for you eh? I have always been curious about that game. And I still need to take the VR plunge.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Yes. E.Y.E. is a hidden gem. A very "interesting" game...

There is no reason not to jump into VR now with the Quest 2. It's totally affordable and doesn't even need a computer to use. Now, to use a game like Low-Fi you'll need the link cable to hook the headset up to the PC so you can run non-quest 2 titles.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Check out the System Shock demo - just the audio alone is appropriately disturbing.

I'll probably get a VR set this coming holiday season - my one caveat is that I have to wear glasses while VRing and don't know how comfortable that will be.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on August 02, 2021, 10:52:05 AM
Check out the System Shock demo - just the audio alone is appropriately disturbing.

I'll probably get a VR set this coming holiday season - my one caveat is that I have to wear glasses while VRing and don't know how comfortable that will be.

They make face plates for people with glasses. Shouldn't be an issue.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

I defeated a mech in this game today and then took its repeating grenade launcher. It reminded me of you.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

What's in your loadout?

I wish there were more augmentation and module slots.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Hmm the game is awash in different bits and pieces and I'll be damned if I can remember the name of any of them without it open in front of me, but my newest bits include that repeating grenade launcher and a new set of biomechanical arms that I got yesterday. I just began the fourth chapter and I love the game - but after a while its frenetic energy exhausts me. It also get f*cking difficult in some spots...I admit that I lowered the difficulty to 'easy' to defeat that mech because it repeatedly kicked my ass.

Also finished the Mechwarrior: Mercenaries campaign tutorial last night. It is cool but I am less enamored there.

Will be trying out Gears: Tactics to round out my summer scifi gaming bonanza.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Yes. Ascent can be frustratingly difficult, so it is important to look at the recommended level before attempting a mission. I find that if I am on par with or a level or two above the recommended level, the mission is challenging, but not annoyingly so. it is also overly difficult to navigate. The map sucks overall and it is annoying that you cannot set waypoints.

As you get into the higher levels, you start facing a mix of robots/cyborgs and human enemies, so I end up mixing out my weapons. I tend to stick with my precision rifle, the Boreshot, which is currently a level 7. It pretty much is a one shot, one kill weapon for most enemies. I also swap my secondary weapon between the EBR Enforcer, a smart plasma burst weapon with seeking rounds, the RPG23 launcher, with seeking rockets and the BC7 Disintegrator, an awesome ray-type weapon that I also leveled up to MK. 7 that pretty much pulps everything. However, since getting that Magmaker flamethrower, I've been using it a lot. Very powerful and fun!

Armor wise, I'm running with an F-50 Hammerhead Helmet and the P-50 protection package.

I swap out augmentations on occasion, but usually roll with the neutron beam and the spider bots. I find that the modules have a low impact on game play for the most part, but I've settled on the Javelin Dash and Vitasigns booster.

Good stuff.

I was hot and heavy with Mechwarrior when it came out and on occasion thereafter. Overall a great game, but they could have done a little better with it. It is good to have a modern remake of the series.

Finally, Gears Tactics is a good game...but I just can't get into the universe for some reason. There is something about the characters, the armor and the enemies that just doesn't appeal to me.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Yeah I stopped using The Ascent map pretty much altogether! And I'm just learning to adjust what weapons I am using against particular enemies.

That said, the process of choosing weapons and then the gunplay itself is really great and is probably what keeps me coming back the most. And of course the moddability/tinkering with my avatar. Just really getting into the meat of the game there.

For those reasons The Ascent kinda feels like Diablo but updated for 2021. It's telling that I have not earned any of the weapons you mentioned above yet!

Mechwarrior didn't grab me instantly like The Ascent did but I will still go back to it. Funny what you mention about Gears - for me it has that certain hard-to-define element that I really do like. Hard to say what it is.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 09, 2021, 08:57:02 AM

Finally, Gears Tactics is a good game...but I just can't get into the universe for some reason. There is something about the characters, the armor and the enemies that just doesn't appeal to me.

Agreed 100%, it always felt to me like a mediocre slapdash of random SF film tropes with a veneer of testosterone to make up for its utter lack of character.

Back on topic, this game looks and sounds very cool and I'll be sure to check it out sooner or later.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

^damn. I think you really just summed it up!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog