Main Menu

Friday 1999

Started by Anguille, July 30, 2021, 02:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anguille

- I have been playing again the campaign of Gemini Wars (12 years later). It's not a great game (gameplay wise) but it has a really decent campaign story with nice briefing videos.

- Stellaris

- Desert Storm

- Stronghold Warlords (new update).

Have a good one.

Geezer

Back playing WH40K Inquisitor Martyr after a long layoff.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

Ascent, Highfleet, Battlesector and some VR shooty things.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CJReich46

Well I have to work today (Ahh the joys of retail) but I get at least Saturday off.

So the plan? - Probably Emperor - Rise of the Middle Kingdom -(Just started the Zhou Dynasty period and its a tough one)
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

W8taminute

You know...

They say two thousand, zero, zero.  Party over.  Oops outta time.  But tonight, I'm gonna, game, like it's nineteen, ninety nine.   ;D

Probably play some Heroes & Generals, War on the Sea, and Empire of the Fading Suns [Realism mod].

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Love me some Prince.

Definitely The Ascent and hopefully some Gears Tactics and Mechwarrior as well.

Then the 1212 mod for Attila Total War waits in the wings, finally.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Great song choice Ang.   Grand Tactician: Civil War for me this weekend.

Dammit Carl!

Lol at the Shatner.

Saw the guy in a convention in late 90's in S.C.  The wife, who was then just a date, nearly immediately bolted when he started yammering on about how he was getting hit on by his nurses when he was laid up due to some horse stepping on him.  Max Shat.  always on the make.

Phantom

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 30, 2021, 07:12:18 AM

Interested to know your take on Highfleet - looks interesting. I'm SSD-ing my PC this weekend so will be curious to see what games are worth putting on there.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Phantom on July 30, 2021, 11:19:04 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 30, 2021, 07:12:18 AM

Interested to know your take on Highfleet - looks interesting. I'm SSD-ing my PC this weekend so will be curious to see what games are worth putting on there.

I don't think it needs to be on an SSD, but check out my impressions here: http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=25247.15

Overall, I'm enjoying it, but it is rough in spots.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tripoli

Burden of Command work.  I may play around with Stellaris and Grand Tactician.   I also may try to finish the South Mountain scenarios in Scourge of War, so I can start working on publishing the AAR.  I'll be travelling to my friend's house later next week to finish a FtF game of Churchill.  Right now, it is November 1943,  I'm the Soviets, and we are halfway through the game.  The US has landed in Normandy, and the USSR had a breakthrough and is in Prussia.  The US is stymie'd in the Pacific, and the UK is on mainland Italy, but has made no progress in the CBI.  With that said, I'm trailing behind in the score, as I've been busy trying to beat the fascists, (and stealing the occasional A-bomb secret), while the UK has been busily reinforcing its colonial position in the post-war era. However, the US/UK are behind in their A-bomb research, and in getting B-29 bases, so that will cost them towards the end of the game.  I just need to get them to do a little more squabbling between the two of them.  But, that might be a bit difficult to arrange with Soviet tanks in Prussia.....
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Toonces

^ Wow, that looks like a really interesting game, Tripoli.

Anyway, I haven't played a video game in donkeys, but today and this weekend I'm gonna clear the schedule and invest some time in gaming.  I'm with Rayfer and Tripoli with the ACW themes: Grand Tactician and Scourge of War (interestingly, I'm just finishing up Sears' Landscape Turned Red and I have a book on standby called Before Antietam, the Battle for South Mountain.  I was wondering if Scourge of War had any South Mountain scenarios).

I'm also likely going to go with some old faithful Cold Waters, and maybe, just maybe if I'm feeling ambitious, fire up War on the Sea.  Still haven't really given it much of a shot.

That's a pretty ambitious gaming schedule, so we'll see how much I get through.  Books seem to be taking up all of my time lately.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tripoli

Quote from: Toonces on July 30, 2021, 12:13:37 PM
^ Wow, that looks like a really interesting game, Tripoli.

Anyway, I haven't played a video game in donkeys, but today and this weekend I'm gonna clear the schedule and invest some time in gaming.  I'm with Rayfer and Tripoli with the ACW themes: Grand Tactician and Scourge of War (interestingly, I'm just finishing up Sears' Landscape Turned Red and I have a book on standby called Before Antietam, the Battle for South Mountain.  I was wondering if Scourge of War had any South Mountain scenarios).

I'm also likely going to go with some old faithful Cold Waters, and maybe, just maybe if I'm feeling ambitious, fire up War on the Sea.  Still haven't really given it much of a shot.

That's a pretty ambitious gaming schedule, so we'll see how much I get through.  Books seem to be taking up all of my time lately.

Churchill is a great game, and is well worth owning.  It is best with 3 players. See https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/132018/churchill for a description.  Scourge of War-Antietam has scenarios dealing with South Mountain from the Union side, and (I believe) 2 from the CSA side.  One scenario deals with the initial push by the Kanawha Division into Fox Gap in the morning of 14 Oct 62, and the other 3 Union scenarios deal with the afternoon battles at Fox, Crampton and Turner's Gap.  I'm planning on doing a video of a SOW game going over each of the battles and use it as a jumping off point to discuss the battles.  A bit like I did when I did the Steam and Iron AAR several years ago, except in a video format. (http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16935.msg444918#msg444918)

Toonces

Nice.  I've spent most of my time in SoW playing with the sandbox ironically enough.  I've had the South Mountain book for 4 or 5 years but never read it.  Reading Sears last night, I just finished up the South Mountain part and stopped when the two armies are staring at one another across Antietam Creek on the 17th or 19th, and now I'm more interested in learning more about those fights.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tripoli

South Mountain is arguably the title of the Civil War's "most important battle that no one has heard of" :)  This article describes why it was so important. https://dailyhistory.org/How_Did_the_Battle_of_South_Mountain_Alter_the_Course_of_the_American_Civil_War%3F

For those who are short of time, here is the author of "Unholy Sabbath: The Battle of South Mountain in History and Memory" giving a talk about it.   https://www.c-span.org/video/?431932-4/battle-south-mountain