Started by Anguille, July 31, 2021, 05:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

THe tutorial is informative enough
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Anguille

Quote from: Destraex on August 17, 2021, 08:51:46 AM
THe tutorial is informative enough
Curious to hear your feedback once you have completed a scenario.

Jarhead0331

This is awesome...you two are like the Groghead's elite brigade of commandos who, through great personal risk and sacrifice, play the older and more obscure strategy titles out there in order to report back when the coast is clear for the rest of the team to advance.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 17, 2021, 08:39:54 AM
I had this game before. Not on steam, but I was able to get it via digital download. I'll have to investigate where because I don't remember offhand.

Is this basically the same as Celtic Kings: Rage of War, or is it a totally different game?
Sorry i didn't see this:

The first game is mostly an adventure game around Larax.
Second game is about the Punic Wars (one campaign as Carthage and one as Rome)
Third game has many scenarios of battles against Rome and as many as Rome (no campaigns).

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 17, 2021, 08:56:00 AM
This is awesome...you two are like the Groghead's elite brigade of commandos who, through great personal risk and sacrifice, play the older and more obscure strategy titles out there in order to report back when the coast is clear for the rest of the team to advance.
I am here to serve  8)

Destraex

Anguille have you played multiplayer?
This game also kinda reminds me of praetorians
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

I trust your judgment Anguille! And yes I have read many comparisons to the Celtic Kings games.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Heh I just spotted Anguille's Steam review. He's really backing this one!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Quote from: Destraex on August 17, 2021, 09:20:45 AM
Anguille have you played multiplayer?
This game also kinda reminds me of praetorians
I have not played multiplayer. I usually don't have the time to do that unfortunately.

Indeed, it's somewhat similar to Praetorians.

al_infierno

This one's getting absolutely blasted in the Steam reviews.  A number of reviews are focused on dumb tangential stuff like people getting banned on the official discord, and people being unhappy with the decision making of the dev team. 

Funny enough, one of the positive reviews mentions "one of the most toxic communities you'll see in gaming."  That appears to hold water.   :-"
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

ArizonaTank

Quote from: al_infierno on August 20, 2021, 01:35:51 PM
This one's getting absolutely blasted in the Steam reviews.  A number of reviews are focused on dumb tangential stuff like people getting banned on the official discord, and people being unhappy with the decision making of the dev team. 

Funny enough, one of the positive reviews mentions "one of the most toxic communities you'll see in gaming."  That appears to hold water.   :-"

Taken on its own merits, its a good game for $10.

I read some of the Steam reviews as well, and they seem silly. And you are right about tangential stuff ... folks getting upset because the dev is an idiot when it comes to communicating with the fans. 

The negative passion directed against the dev in the reviews kind of reminds me of reviews of Derek Smart's stuff....

But for me, there are just some simple things I look for in any game. Is the game fun or not?  Is it well priced?

For me, the game does well in both of these... If you like RTS', particularly old fashioned ones, this is a good one. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

al_infierno

^ Well said, I went ahead and picked it up because it seems like a steal for $10, and I never played the original so I have no room to feel screwed by the lack of new content.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 20, 2021, 02:57:43 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on August 20, 2021, 01:35:51 PM

Taken on its own merits, its a good game for $10.

I read some of the Steam reviews as well, and they seem silly. And you are right about tangential stuff ... folks getting upset because the dev is an idiot when it comes to communicating with the fans. 

The negative passion directed against the dev in the reviews kind of reminds me of reviews of Derek Smart's stuff....

But for me, there are just some simple things I look for in any game. Is the game fun or not?  Is it well priced?

For me, the game does well in both of these... If you like RTS', particularly old fashioned ones, this is a good one.

Yeah, but Derek Smart deserved it because he truly was an asshole and his games really did suck.

I picked this up too. I wasn't going to continue agonizing over $9.99. I rather enjoyed the tutorial and am really impressed with the logistical system. The need to keep your army feed on the march? Pretty cool.  :arr:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Quote from: Gusington on August 20, 2021, 04:01:06 PM
Damn you people...
If you don't want to buy games you don't need, don't read the forums.  I already have several games of this type that I haven't played so what's another one!