Main Menu

Master of Orion IV

Started by Anguille, February 18, 2016, 08:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 11, 2016, 09:25:10 AM
I haven't really paid attention to this game since it was so expensive, but I just saw GOG is selling it for under $15. But because I am ignorant, is "Master of Orion" the same IV you're all referring to? Stupid question but I just want to make sure.

It looks good but the reviews aren't all that stunning. I have the original MOO and MOO2 on GOG which I haven't touched yet. :(

Yes, Master of Orion IV is the same thing as Master of Orion (not the original). There's also the Master of Orion: Collector's Edition and the new DLC Master of Orion: Revenge of Antares Race Pack. All are on sale for 50% off.

The sale is ending soon, so you'd better order it now if you want to save 50%.

I have been playing around with it a little, purchased its new DLC (which should have been included with the initial release IMO), and I feel it's an okay game, but not of the quality of MOO2.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Shelldrake

The material added in the latest free update definitely made the game more interesting to me. At least the devs are listening to the player base.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

BanzaiCat

Thanks for the feedback, Greybriar and Shelldrake. I'll probably pass for now. I have too many other shinies to be distracted by.

solops

I never understood the flak this game got. I thought it was pretty slick and well done. I just tried it again today with the third party code patch and balance mod. I still think it is a fun, well done and greatly underrated game.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Ian C

I bought it a few months ago, wasn't aware of the bad mouthing and thought it was great. I binged on it for weeks. It's on my list of keepers.

Anguille

I really like the game as well.

I see mostly two reasons why the game didn't make it.

1) EA was a mistake. Many people made up their mind at the beginning of the EA when the game was not complete and the AI was fairly weak.
2) Endless Space 2 and mostly Stellaris were coming up and drawing the attention. Frankly, Stellaris at the beginning wasn't that great but Paradox has so many faithful fans.

Wolfe1759

With 5X and UCP mods MOO:CtS hits the complexity/fun sweet spot for me along with Stars in Shadow and Armada 2526. I may be adding Interstellar Space Genesis to this list with a few more plays as well.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

solops

Yeah, SiS and ISG are both good games that I'd like to play much more. And Sword of the Stars 1. All good games. I am still trying to find the perfect amalgamation. Of course, perfect is the mortal enemy of good.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin