Welcome > GrogHeads Feedback

Grogheads Interviews - Steve from Battlefront!

<< < (2/7) > >>

Michael Dorosh:

--- Quote from: z1812 on August 11, 2021, 07:29:45 PM ---Great questions asked and informative answers given.

--- End quote ---

As informative as Steve can be, I suppose.  He dodged as many questions as he answered.

GH: Do you have plans to expand more features from the original Combat Mission like the "Move to Contact", "Shoot and Scoot" orders or the Line of Sight tool.....?

Steve: It's amazing how good the game engine is after all these years!

GH: What new and original features might be seen....things like fire and its spread, or allowing heavy weapon crews to re-crew their guns.....

Steve: At present we are thinking along the lines of....better rendering shadows....

Steve has always had the pulse of the fan base, to the point of knowing better than the fans themselves what it is the fans really want. I didn't even know that I was unhappy about the way CM renders shadows until Steve told me I was.

al_infierno:

--- Quote from: Michael Dorosh on August 12, 2021, 05:14:33 AM ---
Steve has always had the pulse of the fan base, to the point of knowing better than the fans themselves what it is the fans really want. I didn't even know that I was unhappy about the way CM renders shadows until Steve told me I was.

--- End quote ---

That one really is a head scratcher.  Who gives a shit about the shadows?

A Canadian Cat:

--- Quote from: Michael Dorosh on August 12, 2021, 05:14:33 AM ---GH: Do you have plans to expand more features from the original Combat Mission like the "Move to Contact", "Shoot and Scoot" orders or the Line of Sight tool.....?

Steve: It's amazing how good the game engine is after all these years!

--- End quote ---
I don't think that snipping in the quote above was editorially fair. We can all read what he actually wrote and see for ourselves what looks like you creating a straw man version of what Steve actually said. I get it you want more commands, guess what me too probably lots of people here, It's not fair to categorize his response the way you have.

A Canadian Cat:

--- Quote from: al_infierno on August 12, 2021, 10:21:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: Michael Dorosh on August 12, 2021, 05:14:33 AM ---

--- End quote ---

That one really is a head scratcher.  Who gives a shit about the shadows?

--- End quote ---
Interesting, I am not sure why you are confused. I cannot remember if I have seen you say you want a better looking game but it sure has been posted about here and plenty on BFC's own forums. People upset about the look of shadows and the resource hit from shadows is high up on the list of stuff people want improved. Just because you don't want it doesn't mean Steve is not seeing things in a clear eyed way.

al_infierno:

--- Quote from: A Canadian Cat on August 12, 2021, 11:04:44 AM ---
Interesting, I am not sure why you are confused. I cannot remember if I have seen you say you want a better looking game but it sure has been posted about here and plenty on BFC's own forums. People upset about the look of shadows and the resource hit from shadows is high up on the list of stuff people want improved. Just because you don't want it doesn't mean Steve is not seeing things in a clear eyed way.

--- End quote ---

I am quite aware that many people want graphical improvements to the game engine, but shadows?  I don't visit the BFC forums much so I don't know what the hardcore fanbase complains about, but I've never seen anybody here complain about the look of shadows.  Personally, I tend to disable graphical options if they cause "resource hits" that impact performance, because at the end of the day I really don't care for all those bells and whistles over gameplay.

I realize the answer provided in the quote is cut down.  Steve basically said "we are focusing on nice-to-have features like frame rate improvements, AI improvements, and shadows."  That's all fair, but it's also fair for me as an observer to question their priorities when a significant chunk of the fanbase has been asking for major engine overhauls over "nice to have" features like improved shadows for many years now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version