Stop Draggin' Your Fridays

Started by Anguille, August 27, 2021, 01:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CapnKirk

I'm really enjoying it.

The character management is probably my favorite part of the game.  Yes, you're the king, but that doesn't make you all powerful.  Many of the decisions you make have an impact on the characters of your own household as well as those of the aristocratic families.  When you train a settler and found a city, you have to decide which family of the aristocracy you're going to give it to.  This has wide ranging effects, such as giving the city bonuses towards certain types of production and improving the relations of the family you select, while possibly causing resentment amongst other families. 

Having a happy aristocracy provides all kinds of benefits while an upset family will cause issues form slower production to outright rebellion. 

I've heard someone describer the game as the child of Civilization and Crusader kings, but I don't think that does it justice.  The people and empire management or so tightly intertwined, this game is really its own man so to speak.  Even the civ like parts of fighting, founding cities, improving tiles is different enough from civ that it doesn't feel like a carbon copy. 

I also love the art style.  One of the biggest turn offs with Civ VI for me was the art style.  Old World's style is fantastic.  The paintings and character portraits really help you feel like you're in the ancient world. 

There's also neat little touches like the in game music not playing until you discover culture.

My one warning is that some people are reporting performance issues on rigs that should have no problem running the game, but mohawk is constantly patching the game, so I'd imagine they'll get the optimization worked out soon.  For what it's worth, it runs on my potato pc fairly well.

I'll stop babbling, needless to say this game is fast becoming a favorite, and Mohawk is constantly updating it, and I'm excited to see what they add.

I'd read the game manual linked on this page as it goes through just about everything you need as well as provide strategies :  https://oldworldwiki.org/wiki/Guide,_manuals_%26_links

Gusington

Keep babbling Capn! I didn't care for the Civ VI art style either. And I'm a big fan of subtle little details like the cultural/music one you mentioned.

I never liked the Civ dynamic of having spearmen fight tanks, as an example, and always enjoyed more focused Civ campaigns set in specific eras.

Sounds like Old World is exactly that.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd