Air Conflicts-Pacific Carriers & Other Pacific Flight PC Titles

Started by FrontierCybrarian, September 28, 2012, 08:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrontierCybrarian

Anyone purchase or following this? It does look intriguing, however, the other Air Conflicts titles were more action arcade than flight sims for sure. But that being said action arcade flight games can be fun and a break from tough hardcore detailed sims.

http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Air-Conflicts-Pacific-Carriers/5004592/?cid=actgd092812

Tell us about it, IF YOU DARE!

Please disregard if this has been threaded or posted before.
Task without Vision is Drudgery
Vision without Task is Dreaming
But Task with Vision is Destiny.

The Church News, January 4, 1958

FrontierCybrarian

A beta review on youtube leaves me with the impression of a simplistic game not too well developed. Possibly I could see myself getting bored with it because of it's many shortcomings and shortcuts taken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlbLvFqCkRU&feature=related

It's likely a no buy for me.

LongBlade

Quote from: FrontierCybrarian on September 29, 2012, 07:35:45 AM
A beta review on youtube leaves me with the impression of a simplistic game not too well developed. Possibly I could see myself getting bored with it because of it's many shortcomings and shortcuts taken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlbLvFqCkRU&feature=related

It's likely a no buy for me.

Forgive me - I'm not going to watch a 25 minute beta "review."

I will say this - as a professional game reviewer it is unacceptable to write a *review* of a game still in beta.

You will note that previews around here almost never mention a single bad thing about the game. Why? Because it's still in beta.

Beta is, by definition, known buggy code. An unfinished game. It is unfair to the developers and the gamers to discuss the limiting features of a game based in beta.

For this "reviewer" to say that the features "aren't well developed" he's stating the obvious: the game is still in development.

He might ultimately be right. Or not. But a review is inappropriate for beta code.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

FrontierCybrarian

Longblade, forgive me, I stand chastised and I'll repent. I never intended to hit a raw nerve with anyone. I'm not a moderator or administrator so I'm not always aware of what's appropriate or not. Sometimes there are slip-ups.

There was a non-beta Youtube review but it was in German so that wouldn't have worked. I did ask if anyone has played it since it's been out on the XBOX for awhile. The game has not been reviewed by Gamespot, IGN, Game Rankings, or Metacritic...maybe it never will.

Longblade, you can delete the reference to the beta video and that will be okay with me. Sorry. I'll be more careful next time and keep beta stuff to myself.

LongBlade

Quote from: FrontierCybrarian on September 29, 2012, 12:23:30 PM
Longblade, forgive me, I stand chastised and I'll repent. I never intended to hit a raw nerve with anyone. I'm not a moderator or administrator so I'm not always aware of what's appropriate or not. Sometimes there are slip-ups.

There was a non-beta Youtube review but it was in German so that wouldn't have worked. I did ask if anyone has played it since it's been out on the XBOX for awhile. The game has not been reviewed by Gamespot, IGN, Game Rankings, or Metacritic...maybe it never will.

Longblade, you can delete the reference to the beta video and that will be okay with me. Sorry. I'll be more careful next time and keep beta stuff to myself.

<chuckle>

Sorry if that came across as a raw nerve. :)

I just take a dim view of stuff like that.

No harm done by you :)

FrontierCybrarian

I've heard the most popular mission to play in this game is the Pearl Harbor one. If I played Imperial Japan I might be inclined to deliberately lose that mission to see how USA/Hawaii would pull off the win. Of course I could crash all the planes into the drink, run out of time (if applicable), drop my bombs in the ocean, etc.

Off topic, but have you ever played the enemy, you are not too fond of, and deliberately made bad decisions to have them lose big time. It's a devious thought. Such an action could be cared-out I imagaine in rts and turn-based titles more so than with action flight games. It might be a learning experience to see alternate history and what might have been.

I know, I know what is the point in being a LOSER?

MIGMaster

Let me know how you like FC.... I was sorta eyeing this one as well!  ;D

W8taminute

When the guy starting commenting that he thought that all the planes looked the same I lost interest in him.  He obviously is not well versed in WWII aircraft recognition. 

I think that this game looks pretty decent.  It might seem a bit simplistic but it does look like fun.  I'm sure the spit and polish of the game will shine in the finished product so the reviewers comments on pixellated skies and non exploding buildings when you crash into them with an aircraft are ludicrous.  I also agree that one shouldn't review a beta.  Play and demo it, but don't review it.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

FrontierCybrarian

MIGMaster, will do if I purchase it. In the mean time watch these actual gameplay videos (not beta and without player commentary...might be helpful to some) here is the Pearl Harbor mission played as the USA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M92SQIMk-P8&feature=related

And as the Japanese:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATdV7kjoGnY&feature=related

Not too bad of graphics

W8taminute, agreed with you and Longblade on unfair beta reviews. The actual gameplay videos do look like improvements over beta.

JudgeDredd

I've watched less than 2 minutes of the "review" and already the guy is talking crap. Apparently he's disappointed because the aircraft on the Japanese carrier look the same! "The only difference is this is a little redder, that's a little greener...!". One is a Zero, one is a VAL and the other is a Kate - and they ALL look like their historical version! They are not the same and clearly don't look the same.

On top of that he's "whinged" about how little choice of configuration there is for weapons. I daren't listen to anymore for fear he bitches about the lack of AIM-9Ps or JDAMS!
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 29, 2012, 04:03:57 PM
I daren't listen to anymore for fear he bitches about the lack of AIM-9Ps or JDAMS!

As if he'd know what those are.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 29, 2012, 04:09:18 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 29, 2012, 04:03:57 PM
I daren't listen to anymore for fear he bitches about the lack of AIM-9Ps or JDAMS!

As if he'd know what those are.

I am *so* glad I didn't flush 25 minutes of my life watching that.

steve58

I'm a big fan of the PTO so I've been kind of eyeing this one myself.  I saw some reviews of Air Conflicts - Secret Wars that painted it somewhat meh so I think I'll wait for reviews of this one before/if I spring for it.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Staggerwing

One of the screenies shows an Avenger dropping a torp. Is this one of the player control options? Is the success of the drop dependent upon height and speed at release? If so it'd be great if the game included the TBD. I've always had a soft spot for the Devastator after reading about Midway.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

FrontierCybrarian

Steve58, it seems that few or no Groghead member so far has purchased this game in either xbox or pc version. Or has lived to tell about it...after my debacle with the lousy beta game review. There are initial impressions/comments about video gameplay clips though. Many are like you and waiting for more legitimate reviews from responsible players.

I have to hold out as my game purchase budget is tight and someone tried to fraudulently use my debit card (bank cancelled it & I await a new card). I have the two previous Air Conflicts titles and they are fun/light action arcade flight games. Haven't played them alot but I did feel some of the missions were too simple and repetitive. If you can purchase them cheaply then I feel you'll have fun for the price.

The Pacific Theater doesn't get enough love and there were terrific battles (land, air, sea) that should have better representation for gamers.

Staggerwing, you're a forum's popular flight guy. Not sure but it does seem dropping torps (both sides) would be included as player controlled. I had alot of fun with Heroes of the Pacific and was just learning to drop torpedoes when I switched from Vista to Win 7 on both my computers but the game wouldn't work for me on either 32bit or 64bit. Gave a bag of 12 older pc titles to charity, including the Heroes one.

The TBD Devastator (despite weaknesses) and the Avenger can be loved, especially in the hands of a skilled and patient game player.