Main Menu

Weekend Gaming

Started by Bison, February 17, 2012, 08:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartford688

Quote from: Keunert on February 19, 2012, 02:59:59 PM
Played a bit of the Hospital RPG with my daughters, i was a baby with a bleeding leg. once they were able to bandage my leg all of a sudden i started to bleed out of my ears. they managed to fill the ears with some wool when suddenly my eyes started bleeding. not before long i had a bloody coughing going on and had to puke all over the place.

remember: none of this was my initiative, it was the two doctors detecting all this. i think i need some time to get ready for some more kid games. the hardest part was the puking followed by a violent rubbing in the face with some half clean towel. maybe they were thinking of a tchetchenian war lazarett.

Now THAT was too scary and made me go mad. Never mind any Shub-Niggurath.

Keunert

Shubb-Niggurath? What kind of shrubbery is this?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Hartford688 on February 19, 2012, 01:36:31 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 18, 2012, 08:01:23 PM

Tonight, I am finally going to attempt to solo Arkham Horror and start figuring it out.

How did Arkham Horror get on?

Would you recommend solo? With others? is it too scary to play with a 12 year old? Is it too scary for a 45 year old? Will I go mad?

Pretty well...well, the 2nd attempt.

First game was a disaster. Lots of little mistakes, but after a few turns I had figured out where I was doing things wrong. So I put it back in the box and started again today. This time, things went a lot better. It isn't that it's a really complicated game once you get in to that, there are just a number of little things that you need to remember to do. And for rolling checks, you'll be looking at an investigator's base ability, whatever minus the monster/gate/whatever provides, any alteration given by the slumbering Ancient One you're against that game, and anything you gan from equipment/weapons/spells/etc. So miss one and it throes everything off.

Anyway, I ran 3 characters solo. Lucked out massively on the initial card draw when all of them ended up with useful gear. Was stomping monsters like a champ and closing gates, but kept having to spend clue tokens to add to my rolls so I could never seal locations. It all quickly went pear shaped, one investigator ended up in the Asylum after dropping to 0 sanity, and then Azathoth awoke once his doom track filled. And once he emerges, that's it. Still, I REALLY enjoyed it.

As for your questions, Hartford :

It is a good solo game (most co-ops are), but there is no way you could possibly do anything with just 1 character on the board, so you'll need to run a few. I actually haven't played it with others yet, but I know I have a few friends who should be totally in to it.

As for a 12 year old...it isn't a game loaded with visual horror, so there isn't a lot of blood splatter and that sort of thing. It IS creepy and bad things DO happen pretty much every turn. As long as you were comfortable with how the game worked before playing with anyone else, it should be fine.

You will need a fair amount of space. It has a 6 panel board, there are short encounter decks for each district (9 of them), about 10 decks of small cards for items, spells, bank loans, etc. (of those, only 4 are really all that high a pile), and there are Mythos and Gate decks. You also need space for an Ancient One card, a card for every investigator (with room for their money, sanity and stamina tokens, and cards they have gained), a small stack of gate tokens, plus the main storage of sanity, stamina, clue, and doom/elder sign markers.

Lots of stuff in the box. Lots of randomness when you draw makes for a lot of replayability. And there are 4 big box and 4 small box expansions available, too.

republic

I posted this at wargamer too.  I hate to crosspost but I figure some people might not check Wargamer anymore.

This weekend it was War in the Pacific PBEM with Jomni, but I've also begun a solo game to try and learn some better tactics.  (I must find a way to stop Jomni!)

I played some World of Tanks.  I recently "upgraded" from the T-34 to the T-34/85.  I use quotes because I find it to be both less capable gunwise (so far) and also puts me in more difficult matches.  I used the T-34 with the 57mm ZiS-4.  It has excellent accuracy, decent penetration, and the 30 rounds per minute make for a perfect standoff tank.  I can fire quickly and accurately enough to sometimes time my salvos to screw up the enemy's solution on me.  Because of the matchmaking system I find the T-34/85 is useless unless you can be hull down, and the gun I have currently isn't accurate, fires slowly, and does not penetrate well for its matchmaker opponents.

I plan this week to play some Crusader Kings 2 demo, and Armada 2526 to prepare for a PBEM game soon (I hope)

Bison

I broke down an got Combat Mission Battle for Normandy last night.  Great game.  I've posted an AAR in the GH AAR section.

Double Deuce

Quote from: Bison on February 19, 2012, 08:09:36 PM
I broke down an got Combat Mission Battle for Normandy last night.  Great game.  I've posted an AAR in the GH AAR section.

I've had that one for some time but it rarely gets played. I'm kinda hoping the Commonwealth Module will respark my interest in the game. Guess we will see.

Shelldrake

Quote from: republic on February 19, 2012, 07:47:08 PM
I played some World of Tanks.  I recently "upgraded" from the T-34 to the T-34/85.  I use quotes because I find it to be both less capable gunwise (so far) and also puts me in more difficult matches.  I used the T-34 with the 57mm ZiS-4.  It has excellent accuracy, decent penetration, and the 30 rounds per minute make for a perfect standoff tank.  I can fire quickly and accurately enough to sometimes time my salvos to screw up the enemy's solution on me.  Because of the matchmaking system I find the T-34/85 is useless unless you can be hull down, and the gun I have currently isn't accurate, fires slowly, and does not penetrate well for its matchmaker opponents.

I am liking my T34-85 with the tier 7 85mm gun but it is definitely a hull down sniping tank. Brawling will get you killed...fast! Don't bother with the 100mm gun. Its increased damage and penetration don't make up for the poor accuracy and lower rate of fire.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Sir Slash

Quote from: Bismarck on February 18, 2012, 10:37:42 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on February 18, 2012, 10:33:28 AM
I just won my second Steam & Iron battle-- Otranto 1915, a great scenario. So, I'll probably be up to my neck in dreadnaughts all weekend.

Have you ever won with HMCS Rainbow?

Hey Bismarck. I tried the Rainbow scenario over the weekend and only lasted about 15 min. vs the Leipzig. Got some good hits on her but the poorer shell quality just didn't result in any great damage. Gonna try it again.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Bismarck

I finally got a minor vic by jinking and firing from a distance.
Jim Cobb

Hartford688

Arctic Blast:

Thanks very much for taking the time for the detailed feedback - very helpful indeed.  I'll certainly add this to the list - just about to place an order for a couple of games and trying to figure which will get the most use/best reception.

Hartford688

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Hartford688 on February 20, 2012, 01:03:07 PM
Arctic Blast:

Thanks very much for taking the time for the detailed feedback - very helpful indeed.  I'll certainly add this to the list - just about to place an order for a couple of games and trying to figure which will get the most use/best reception.

Hartford688

No problem, Hartford. It really is a great game, and a challenging one (though not to the ball busting degree of Ghost Stories. That's a great co-op, but I'm convinced that it actively hates all who are playing it).