The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 16, 2014, 01:28:52 PM
If you want a super-gritty bow-hunting 3PS action adventure platformer set on an island inhabited by wolves and pirates and undead Japanese Atlantean Elder Gods, featuring a well-realized sad-but-tragically-determined Katniss from The Hunger Games, you could spend your $4 on far, far worse, and probably have. >:D

Ain't THAT the honest truth.

I went ahead and splurged...five bucks for the edition that was one step above the base game but one under the GOTY edition - think it's called "Survivor Edition" or something. Too many MP components in the GOTY edition that I could care less about.

Shelldrake

Unity of Command is currently available for $4 at Gamersgate.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-UOC/unity-of-command

Do folks here recommend it?
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

BanzaiCat

For $4? Heck yeah. Good game if you like hex-based wargaming.  O0

Nefaro

There is also a bunch of EU4 and CK2 stuff on sale at GG for 75% Off.

And TW Rome 2 DLC for 50% Off.

Next 2 days.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Nefaro on October 17, 2014, 06:27:40 AM

Next 2 days.

do you get a steam key? or does it need to match a GG purchase of original game?

Nefaro

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 17, 2014, 06:35:03 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 17, 2014, 06:27:40 AM

Next 2 days.

do you get a steam key? or does it need to match a GG purchase of original game?

Yes, Steam keys.  Those games are only for download on Steam anyway.

I just picked up a couple Rome 2 DLCs I didn't have and stuck them in.  Ain't nuthin but a G-spot babee!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Shelldrake on October 17, 2014, 06:15:26 AM

I was disappointed after all the hype it got.  A very boring game in my opinion.  I seem to be in the minority here though.

Gusington

I liked Unity of Command...deceptively simple and the graphics engine is cool.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 17, 2014, 07:13:58 AM
Quote from: Shelldrake on October 17, 2014, 06:15:26 AM

I was disappointed after all the hype it got.  A very boring game in my opinion.  I seem to be in the minority here though.

I can understand that. Deceptively simple is also simpler than it might have been -- it's simpler than Panzer General for example, even with the increased focus on supply. There is only a little carry-forward from mission to mission, and most of that little carry-forward tends to be punitive.

And the missions (though this is reasonable considering the scale and the setting) seem to always be giant frontal strings already in place which you have to figure out how to break through in only a few turns. Which, for better or for worse, gives each mission a strong puzzle aspect -- but randomized by the weather, except the random weather tends to be the factor by which a a skilled player will succeed or fail.

In other words, there is usually only one best way to proceed to have a chance for success, given the VERY limited number of turns; and if you get some bad combat rolls you may be hosed, but if you get bad weather at any time YOU WILL DEFINITELY BE HOSED.

Other than that, it's a fun game. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 17, 2014, 09:35:10 AM
And the missions (though this is reasonable considering the scale and the setting) seem to always be giant frontal strings already in place which you have to figure out how to break through in only a few turns. Which, for better or for worse, gives each mission a strong puzzle aspect -- but randomized by the weather, except the random weather tends to be the factor by which a a skilled player will succeed or fail.

In other words, there is usually only one best way to proceed to have a chance for success, given the VERY limited number of turns; and if you get some bad combat rolls you may be hosed, but if you get bad weather at any time YOU WILL DEFINITELY BE HOSED.

Nail on the head, Jason.  Very eloquently put as always.  It's basically a puzzle game disguised as a strategy game which is why I was so disappointed with it.

Shelldrake

Thanks for the info gents. I will stick with the Panzer Corps series as I do not like puzzle-type games.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Jarhead0331

DCS is having a 2 day flash sale. Most modules are 70% off! The new Mig21 module is only 10% off though...however, F86 is only $14.99!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 16, 2014, 04:50:17 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on October 16, 2014, 01:28:52 PM
If you want a super-gritty bow-hunting 3PS action adventure platformer set on an island inhabited by wolves and pirates and undead Japanese Atlantean Elder Gods, featuring a well-realized sad-but-tragically-determined Katniss from The Hunger Games, you could spend your $4 on far, far worse, and probably have. >:D

Ain't THAT the honest truth.

I went ahead and splurged...five bucks for the edition that was one step above the base game but one under the GOTY edition - think it's called "Survivor Edition" or something. Too many MP components in the GOTY edition that I could care less about.

AngryJoe, I noticed, heavily liked it -- though he wasn't a fan of the property to begin with.

He doesn't make the comparison, but watching a lot of the stuff I played through, I thought it might have worked just as well as Tomb Rambo Begins.

Which is not a bad thing.  :))
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

BanzaiCat

I mentioned this in the GOG? thread, but thought it would bear mentioning here...

On Steam, there's a 'deal' for Bloodnet, Dragonsphere, Rex Nebular, Darklands, and Sword of the Samurai, for $18.74. And that's listed at 25% off normal price.

On GOG, though, you can get Dragonsphere for free and all the other games for $2.39 each. I used a calculator this time; that comes to $9.56 total on GOG for the exact same games.

So if you're looking at that deal on Steam...don't do it unless you like paying more.  :buck2:

JasonPratt

GoG however is running a special 60% off sale this weekend on those games. PURELY BY COINCIDENCE NO DOUBT!  O:-)