The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Civ: Beyond Earth is 50% off on Steam for the next 43 hours.  So what's the final verdict with this one, anyway?  Is it literally Civ with a sci-fi skin, or closer to Alpha Centauri, or what?

BanzaiCat

Nice long discussion on the game here:

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11503.msg338506#msg338506

IMO, it has more of a feel of a DLC and not a full stand-alone game. That's not to say it's NOT fun...I just feel fandom was kind of shivved a tad with this one. Angry Joe's sentiments about the game are pretty much spot-on the same as mine; he can pretty much tell you better than I could, at least in his own special short-bus kind of way:

Huw the Poo

Thanks Banzai Cat.  That was a good review.  Frankly, it's pushed me slightly more toward a purchase at this price point.  I don't think I'd pay full price for it.  However it's on sale until Wednesday which happens to be pay day so I may well pick it up if I'm not distracted by something else in the meantime.

bbmike

Bleh, Angry Joe. Well, at least he's not as bad as that eXplorminate guy.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

W8taminute

This game was magnitudes of order higher in the enjoyment factor for me than the demo to Beyond Earth was.  I'll pass.  Too many other great distractions to spend my money on than to give it to Sid Vicious. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

^HA I loved that frickin' game!

And the Smiths song.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Yeah, those old football games were pretty damn fun!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Huw the Poo

Just an amazingly insightful analysis as ever, bbmike.

bbmike

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 19, 2015, 12:40:16 AM
Just an amazingly insightful analysis as ever, bbmike.

Apologies, I've been watching a lot of "Let's Play" videos lately and find some of them very irritating.
As for Beyond Earth, it feels like a very big, detailed mod for Civ5 to me. I'm hoping the new 2.0 patch/Expansion will help. It's not worth full price but I think it is worth the current sale price.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Huw the Poo

Quote from: bbmike on May 19, 2015, 10:58:43 AM
As for Beyond Earth, it feels like a very big, detailed mod for Civ5 to me. I'm hoping the new 2.0 patch/Expansion will help. It's not worth full price but I think it is worth the current sale price.

Yeah that's pretty much my feeling too from the research I've done in the last 24 hours.  I'll buy it at this price as soon as I'm paid tomorrow I think.  I wouldn't have paid £30 for it.

Pete Dero

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Shelldrake

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 21, 2015, 04:31:36 AM
Pandora sale (-66% - Steam key)  https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/pandora_firstcontact_storefront

I enjoyed testing the beta but I have so many unplayed games that another game purchase would just be crazy.  :idiot2:
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Martok on May 21, 2015, 01:39:15 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on May 21, 2015, 04:31:36 AM
Pandora sale (-66% - Steam key)  https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/pandora_firstcontact_storefront
Nice!  I would get it at that price if I didn't already own it. 

Absolutely, same here.  Pandora is a great game, and unusually for me, I also highly recommend the expansion.

RooksBailey

Score!  Got LA Noire Complete for $6!

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/lanoire_completeedition_storefront

Perfect timing as I have fallen in love with noir cinema and stories lately.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway