The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Holy Hand-Grenades! WitE for $25 at Steam!??!  :o    OK. What's the Grog-Consensus on which is the better deal, War in the East and DLC for $40, or The Operational art of War 4 for $40? TOAW Has more content but looks old as hell. WitE Is more recent but just East Front and no Naval stuff. Which is the better game?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 23, 2018, 01:19:46 PM
Holy Hand-Grenades! WitE for $25 at Steam!??!  :o    OK. What's the Grog-Consensus on which is the better deal, War in the East and DLC for $40, or The Operational art of War 4 for $40? TOAW Has more content but looks old as hell. WitE Is more recent but just East Front and no Naval stuff. Which is the better game?

Not sure where you are geographically but for me in the USA TOAW 4 is $30.00 on Steam. 

Gusington

War Plan Orange for 10.00...I know Toonces likes this game. Is it still worth playing?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

You are right Rayfer. TOAW 4 Is $29.99 at Steam not $40. My mistake. Now which one is the better deal? I'm leaning to TOAW 4. But WitE at $25 is hard to beat.  #:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 23, 2018, 01:19:46 PM

TOAW4 came out this year. WitE has been out for many years. Not sure why you think TOAW4 looks "old as hell". In any event, it's a tough question to answer. If you're looking for an extremely detailed Wargame on the eastern front, then WitE is the no brainer answer. If you want a game that lets you play out scenarios at many spots around the globe over a period of decades and across several different wars and conflicts, TOAW is the way to go.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

TOAW 4 Doesn't look much different than TOAW 3 to me. The graphics look very dated and the UI looks kind of confusing. I played the first TOAW and this game looks to have not changed a whole lot since. I'm probably wrong about this and the first game was very good. I know it's got every fight from the ACW forward and they've re-done the supply and naval aspects, but can it compare favorably to say the Decisive Campaigns series?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 24, 2018, 11:45:30 PM
TOAW 4 Doesn't look much different than TOAW 3 to me. The graphics look very dated and the UI looks kind of confusing. I played the first TOAW and this game looks to have not changed a whole lot since. I'm probably wrong about this and the first game was very good. I know it's got every fight from the ACW forward and they've re-done the supply and naval aspects, but can it compare favorably to say the Decisive Campaigns series?

I don't think it was ever meant to be hugely different than its predecessor on the surface but did indicate these items as major improvements (from product page).

1) The entire naval warfare system has been completely revised and implemented, bringing its realism to a new, higher, level!

2) The supply system has been greatly enhanced, allowing a more gradual simulation without adding extra tasks to the players.

3) A new Battlefield Time Stamp feature takes on TOAW's unique way of handling game turn resolution and makes it easier for players to plan ahead!

4) In addition, the game will feature an Improved combat resolution, a much more consistent combat round management, along with major improvements to the TOAW Editor Event system, making complex scenarios easier to create!

5) And for those among you intimidated by large scenarios, an Improved PO/AI assist automation exists to make handing off part of your friendly forces to the AI easier! 

Gusington

Slitherine sale over at Fanatical fight now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

I've been gobbling up 20th century warfare titles recently...War Plan Orange, Germany at War, etc. Now I'm looking at Panthers in the Fog and Revolution Under Siege in this Fanatical sale. I've always found AGEOD game difficult to understand though...is RuS a little more welcoming? Love the subject matter and armored trains!!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

i think those sale prices are about the same as matrix sale....so might be better to buy at matrix to get both steam and matrix key.

Gusington

Slightly less over at Fanatical but you make a good point. But how painful is RuS to get in to?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Be sure to post a review of Panthers in the Fog to the front page if you get it!  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I wouldn't want to step on Star's toes.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I've heard RUS is one of the easier AGEOD titles to get into.

Sadly, after owning it since release, I haven't installed it, so no first hand info.  Typical.   :-[
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

I played the demo to it some years ago. Typical AGEOD game with slightly different setting-- good if you're into the Russian Revolution. Certainly better than TEAW but I liked it less than ACW 2 or AJE. And yes, Armored Trains are cool.