Next Total War Title?

Started by Gusington, February 01, 2012, 01:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on February 01, 2012, 03:55:34 PM
Of course it is! I finally bought a copy of Hegemony Gold but haven't jumped in yet. I know peeps here have raved about it.

I liked it. I suspect you will, too.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

I really enjoy Hegemony, but TW it is not.  And I do not mean this in a bad way.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on February 01, 2012, 04:02:21 PM
I really enjoy Hegemony, but TW it is not.  And I do not mean this in a bad way.

Agreed.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on February 01, 2012, 01:59:22 PM
I am more excited for Fall of the Samurai than for any Total War title ever, because it hits upon a theme that Total War games have always done well: the advancing of technology and the clash of cultures. Plus the technologies set to be portrayed (Gatling guns, ironclads, railroads, rifles) is just the cat's meow.

Hiten Mitsurugi Style!!!

(Crap, no Kenshin smiley back at Wargamer.)

Yes, I had been hoping the new AGE engine game would be the Meiji Revolution, though that seems unlikely. I am quite happy to "settle" for "only" Meiji Total War. Go forth, you wolves of Mibu!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grim.Reaper

My vote would be for the American Civil War.  I know we have a good battle engine in Gettysburg, but would like to see a strategic layer added on top of a 3d battles engine, plus being able to have what-if battlers.

Gusington

I'm looking forward to finally firing up Hegemony while reading Kagan's Peloponnesian War.

But right now I am feeling Japanesey...going to start the Rise of the Samurai campaign tonight or tomorrow.

Which leads me back to being very excited for Fall of the Samurai. It's got railroads by criminey! RAILROADS!!

Railroads lead to railguns. Which lead me to soiling my drawers.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 01, 2012, 06:47:43 PM
My vote would be for the American Civil War.  I know we have a good battle engine in Gettysburg, but would like to see a strategic layer added on top of a 3d battles engine, plus being able to have what-if battlers.
I do not understand the desire for an ACW Total War title, as there would only be two factions.  Maybe it would work as part of an expansion? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Grim.Reaper

Good point.  But for me I would be fine with only two factions to play it:). I hardly ever play all the different factions that are available anyway.

TheCommandTent

Whatever game they do next I hope they keep some of the RPGish elements from Shogun and improve on that.  I enjoyed customizing generals for particular tasks in my nation.  Also  I hope they continue to improve on unit experience as I like carrying forward a core group of veterans into battles.  It makes it that much worse when you lose one of the units, but it also gives me pause before committing them to something stupid.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: Martok on February 02, 2012, 01:45:48 AM
I do not understand the desire for an ACW Total War title, as there would only be two factions.  Maybe it would work as part of an expansion?

That is an excellent point. Perhaps the Seven Years War then?

Martok

Quote from: LongBlade on February 02, 2012, 09:11:58 AM
Quote from: Martok on February 02, 2012, 01:45:48 AM

That is an excellent point. Perhaps the Seven Years War then?
Ooh, that could be a hell of a lot of fun. 

I still wouldn't care for the land battles (for me, gunpowder weapons = boring), but I could still enjoy it provided the strategic side were robust enough (especially if the rubbish diplomacy of Empire was done away with).  Also, I admittedly (and ironically) like the naval warfare of that period, so there's definitely some appeal in that as well. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

I still think the next one will be Victoria: Total War. The title has a nice ring to it, there can be 50 factions, players can bitch-slap upstart indigenous populations and tech advancing from 1850-1900 would be da bomb, pun intended. Plus: railroads and railroad guns.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Call me crazy, but I actually wouldn't mind seeing them copy Neocore's King Arthur.  I would be really curious to see the CA take on this game; I'm talking the whole fantasy thing.  In fact, maybe even a fantasy-based Total War game might be interesting...

I don't think ACW would be a good topic for Total War.  Although the combat might be possible, so much of the ACW was diplomatic in nature that I don't think the Total War engine would capture the war's dynamics very well.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

If they want to be topical they could shoot for Republican Candidate:Total War. CA might have to tone down the realism a bit though or the game will have to be sold from behind the counter in plain brown paper bags...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys