What's Cool in Science This Week?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2017, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emeraldlis

Then I'm obviously arrogant for having a different opinion  :) ......oh the audacity , to see something in a different way to other people !!!! I don't call you arrogant for having a different belief to me , I respect your right to believe whatever you wish , and I think that we should be able to have a discussion about those differences without you resorting to trying to shame someone else for their own beliefs .( you saying its implausible and arrogant , is a definate put down in my opinion )  If you want to believe there is life out there , fair enough . I just don't share that opinion , and that's fair enough too .
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Pete Dero

Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 24, 2017, 07:14:20 AM
Then I'm obviously arrogant for having a different opinion  :) ......oh the audacity , to see something in a different way to other people !!!! I don't call you arrogant for having a different belief to me , I respect your right to believe whatever you wish , and I think that we should be able to have a discussion about those differences without you resorting to trying to shame someone else for their own beliefs .( you saying its implausible and arrogant , is a definate put down in my opinion )  If you want to believe there is life out there , fair enough . I just don't share that opinion , and that's fair enough too .

The words implausible and arrogant are not mine but are a quote of his statement.  Sorry if this gave you the idea I don't respect your or other views.  I only wanted to show that people who are A LOT smarter than me have this opinion.  Fact is for the moment we don't know.  I must admit that for me it is more that I hope there is something out there than that I know it.

Hawking uses the word arrogant in a more religious context.   Most (all ?) religions claim Earth is made by a god for the benefit of the human race.  If you are no longer alone in the universe the humans lose that exceptional status.    Refusing the idea that other species can exist solely based on religion and completely ignoring science could be viewed as arrogant in the eyes of nonbelievers.  It is true however that Steven Hawking became a bit more harsh in his opinions lately (being 100% paralyzed for years might have had an influence on that). 

MetalDog

Quote from: bbmike on January 24, 2017, 07:35:53 AM
We are alone in the universe and it is Sherlock Holmes' fault.

That was a nice, quick, read.  I think the deduction and the outcome fit the spirit of Holmes and Watson perfectly.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Emeraldlis

Quote from: Pete Dero on January 24, 2017, 04:00:06 AM
This is Stephen Hawking's view (and I am with him on this  8) ):

The idea that we are alone in the universe seems to me completely implausible and arrogant.

Hi Pete , if I've misunderstood you , then I'm indeed very sorry for that . What made me see red , is that it seemed to me that you agreed with Hawkins statement , that anyone who took a different view to him is an arrogant person , and that their beliefs are more or less invalid . (Implausible)

I've never brought God or religion into this conversation that we've been having on this thread ,  I don't think that other life doesn't exist because of religious reasons . I think it doesn't exist because of looking at what science has explained so far . I don't ignore science AT ALL , I'm fascinated by science and what it can reveal about life , I have respect for scientific fact .

In the article link you put up , it states that both Stephen hawkins and Richard Dawkins don't believe in the existance of God , which is their personal belief , and they are entitled to believe that . There  are a lot of other scientists around who do have a belief in God , and don't see science conflicting with their belief in God . Of course both sets of scientists are smarter than me .....I get that !!!! But at the same time I'm not dumb either , and neither are you . I'm allowed to look at science and draw my own conclusions . Looking at science for you has maybe lead you in the direction of atheism , I honestly don't know , because I don't know you that well . For me , looking at science has lead me to the belief that there is a God. If I was a person with no respect for science , I wouldn't be on a science thread reading about and discussing science !!!!! Even though I believe in God , I'm open minded enough to explore other beliefs . I'm constantly checking other people's views and opinions against my own .

I'm sure you're  right about Stephen Hawkins , being in as much pain as he must be in , would definately make you say harsh things , maybe things that he doesn't mean or wishes he could take back . I do respect his scientific studies and I respect his mind . But for anyone to tell me what to personally believe , I think that's just overstepping the mark , because I have my own mind too .

I'm probably rambling now , lol , but I'm sorry to have misunderstood you . I really hope this clears the air between us .
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

MetalDog

I believe in God.  Wholeheartedly.  I believe that for God to exist, He has to be so far beyond our understanding as a universe is to a cell, that we can not fathom His ways.  I also believe that we are endowed with a sense of self and wonder leading us to use our God given reason to take in and explore all that God has made for us.  So, if God gave us reason and wonder, it is to our advantage and, ultimately to our benefit, to use them.  And that's where scientists come in. 

What does science do but attempt to grasp nature's law and define what the forces are acting upon us every day?  And in this pursuit, the brightest among us have come to answer upon answer.  One leading into the next.  All obeying laws and forces that lead us to further and greater discoveries.  And each time science comes to a conclusion, there always seems to be more questions raised.  And each time, through diligence, observation, intuition, and experiment, we find more answers.  That's because, to my mind, God has set this up for us to continue to strive and grow in our understanding.  To what purpose, I can only wonder, but, I would think that an orderly universe would only make scientists more aware of God than doubt His existence.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Pete Dero

Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 24, 2017, 08:33:10 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on January 24, 2017, 04:00:06 AM
This is Stephen Hawking's view (and I am with him on this  8) ):

The idea that we are alone in the universe seems to me completely implausible and arrogant.

Hi Pete , if I've misunderstood you , then I'm indeed very sorry for that . What made me see red , is that it seemed to me that you agreed with Hawkins statement

I'm probably rambling now , lol , but I'm sorry to have misunderstood you . I really hope this clears the air between us .

To be clear I'm with him on the idea that I believe/hope that there is something else out there.  For the moment we can't be sure so calling someone who believes we are alone to be arrogant is probably also arrogant.

By the way, science didn't lead me to atheism, I was born that way :2funny:.

Quote from: MetalDog on January 24, 2017, 09:09:29 PM
I can only wonder, but, I would think that an orderly universe would only make scientists more aware of God than doubt His existence.

An orderly universe can lead you into thinking there is an 'intelligent design' behind it.   Another view on it is that if some things were even a bit different we wouldn't even be here to ponder about it.
So is there an orderly universe build to create us or are we here just because there happened to be an orderly universe ?

If we accept the multiverse theory (http://www.space.com/18811-multiple-universes-5-theories.html) there might exist many dead universes next to ours.
With many universes to experiment with it could be logical that live exists in a few of them.

I hope I made myself clear (it is not easy discussing these matters when English is your third language).

JasonPratt

Since I was briefly invoked earlier...  <:-)

My position is that if we want to colonize the solar system in any realistic fashion whatsoever, we must first learn to efficiently colonize the vast stretches of Terran landscape and seascape (and maybe even over and under the, um, scape). When I'm elected President, shortly before hell freezes over  >:D, I'm putting our R&T guys on those large-scale projects. Mars and the Moon can wait. We need to work on what we've got here.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

besilarius

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/hydrogen-metal-revolution-technology-space-rockets-superconductor-harvard-university-a7548221.html

And once again, part of my high school chemistry is turned on it's head.  The thermostat in hell must be really out of control these days.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Emeraldlis

Quote from: besilarius on January 27, 2017, 07:50:46 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/hydrogen-metal-revolution-technology-space-rockets-superconductor-harvard-university-a7548221.html

And once again, part of my high school chemistry is turned on it's head.  The thermostat in hell must be really out of control these days.
Quote from: Barthheart on January 27, 2017, 07:57:15 AM
Quote from: besilarius on January 27, 2017, 07:50:46 AM

Or maybe not....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/hydrogen-metal-revolution-technology-truth-criticism-problems-discussion-a7549056.html

That would be a stunning piece of science if it turned out to be true  :o  I guess the old alchemists dream of turning base metal into gold has gone by the wayside then  ;D gas into metal......maybe ......who knew !!!!

JasonPratt

As far as alternative energy goes, I would definitely invest in hydrogen compound research, or safer ways to controllably use and store hydrogen cells. Then we can still have wind and solar power, just being put to work making hydrogen from water. Water's the byproduct, it's (for all practical purposes) a zero-sum immediately renewable system.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Emeraldlis

Very strange matter floating around in the universe sounds just about right !!! .......or even in the  litter box :)