A Total War Saga: TROY officially revealed

Started by Martok, September 19, 2019, 11:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

FAQ

Not sure about this one.  I love that they're covering the period, but talk about "gods and monsters", especially the inclusion of mythical creatures in the unit rosters, is a big turn-off for me.  Wishlisted for now, but Troy will be a wait-and-see for me. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

JasonPratt

Eh, the more mythological things can probably be turned off (as in Three Kingdoms). And if not, modders will work on it eventually.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts and CA bearing new content. Wait and see if this one is their, 'Achilles Heel'.  :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Martok on September 19, 2019, 11:48:46 AM

Not sure about this one.  I love that they're covering the period, but talk about "gods and monsters", especially the inclusion of mythical creatures in the unit rosters, is a big turn-off for me.  Wishlisted for now, but Troy will be a wait-and-see for me.

The Artwork is interesting, but why Attic Black-figure from around 500 BC when you could have Myceanean or Minoan from 1200 BC?

1200 BC could be pretty cool -- end of the Bronze Age -- fall of all Empires except for Egypt etc.  and then a Dark Age...but no, instead you get nicely reprocessed Disney-esque rehashes.

Gusington

I am kind of intrigued, even though I still have not played one game of Thrones of Brittania yet.

I know nothing of the time period but I like the idea of myth mixed with possible history.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Here's a preview from Invicta (whom many of us are fans of, for his TW videos especially for historical recreations and documentaries).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Gusington on September 19, 2019, 01:57:58 PM
I am kind of intrigued, even though I still have not played one game of Thrones of Brittania yet.

I know nothing of the time period but I like the idea of myth mixed with possible history.
I ended up uninstalling Thrones of Britannia. I started it and I liked it and then  :'(

I tried to perform the right building for my situation. In the end, I didn't have enough food for my armies and had no way of making anymore - and my army really wasn't very big. Then I was attacked from the south by a considerable force that I had to join my armies together to fight. I then had to chase the force around because they were just jumping into my cities and I had to deal with them even though they were pretty much nothing because regardless of their size, they were ruining buildings in my cities...but then they'd avoid and run...pita.

Then I was to be turned by a Viking horde up north. Like - a massive horde. I don't know how the AI got the troops they got but I just didn't see how I could've dealt with everything they were coming up with.

I really wanted to like it. A decent time period and an area I'm very much interested in, but my god....difficult was not the word.

Uninstalled and no more saga for me.

I've never been great at these games - but in the others, I've held my own for a considerable amount of time. Britannia was slow with not alot to gain but didn't seem to be for the AI. I preferred the slow pace - but it only seemed slow for me...the AI seemed to be going at a hell of a pace.
Alba gu' brath

Martok

Thanks, Jason.  Yeah, Invicta's videos are pretty good. 

:knuppel2:

If you watched the 2004 film, I suspect you know as much as (if not more than) most folks.  :P 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Toonces

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 19, 2019, 12:09:32 PM
Beware of Greeks bearing gifts and CA bearing new content. Wait and see if this one is their, 'Achilles Heel'.  :2funny:

Oh my....that is so, so bad.   #:-)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Speedy

Such a fascinating time period and they focus on the boring old barbarian Greeks a minor sideshow of the time- big fail total war.

MetalDog

Quote from: Toonces on September 19, 2019, 06:26:52 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 19, 2019, 12:09:32 PM

Oh my....that is so, so bad.   #:-)

This is, too

Quote from: Martok on September 19, 2019, 03:19:00 PM

If you watched the 2004 film, I suspect you know as much as (if not more than) most folks.  :P 

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob