Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

The same thing that makes the spit defensible from Russian counterattacks makes it an unlikely place of breakout for the Ukes--the single road leading off the peninsula.  It just represents one more pressure point that the Ukrainians can use in an effort to keep the Russians off balance.  I can't imagine it's anything more than a nuisance to the Russian defenders on the eastern shore of the Dnieper.

That said, in a war of attrition, every nuisance matters.  I think the end game we're likely to see which side runs out of either will to fight (on the one hand) or ammunition (on the other hand). 

Given that the Ukrainians are backed by the entire economy of Western Europe and North America (NATO has a combined GDP of US$45TN), it's hard to imagine that they'll run out of ammunition any time soon (as long as they can keep shuffling out Russian-made weapon systems and replacing them with Western-made weapon systems without having a catastrophic breakdown).  Russia (with a GDP of US$1.8TN) can only hope to secure adequate weapons to buy from China, who seems likely to bankroll them indefinitely although to what extent is not clear (is anything ever clear where China is involved?).

So then it comes down to the will to fight.  It's a little unclear if the Russian army's morale will collapse before the Ukrainian will to fight does.  Fighting in Ukraine is a double-edged sword--it inflicts unbelievable hardship on the Ukrainian people, but it also makes them a lot more pissed than if the two countries were fighting each other for the sake of Estonia. 

The most likely scenario is that the Russian will to fight collapses before the Ukranian will to fight does.  And I suspect that the Chinese will to supply is more likely to expire than the NATO will to supply. 

But at this point, it seems like a lot more young men and elderly civilians will experience the sort of stuff that the young man in Jarhead's video talks about before any of those four things happen.

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Tripoli

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 27, 2022, 07:44:19 AM
https://twitter.com/i/status/1596760624213929984

Nice footage, but I don't think it is recent.  It looks like it might be from earlier this year, as the vegetation looks very green to me.  {Note: I know Star isn't claiming it is recent.  I just wanted to point out that it may be dated footage]
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

FarAway Sooner

I'd respectfully request that, if a poster expects us to click on a link, they should be willing to type one or two sentences about WHY we should click on the link.  Does that make me the equivalent of an old man yelling at teenagers to get off my Internet lawn?   :))

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Uberhaus

Obviously, he plans on ambushing us with links to home movies in the future.

Gusington

WWII ETO 'Panther' replica spotted being used as a decoy by a UAR unit similar to the Azov Battalion.

The creator of the video quickly mentions how twisted this is and it touches on some of the reasons why the Russo-Ukrainian War started to begin with.

Only about 6 minutes long with some long ads embedded, it's still an interesting video.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on November 27, 2022, 01:10:47 PM
I'd respectfully request that, if a poster expects us to click on a link, they should be willing to type one or two sentences about WHY we should click on the link.  Does that make me the equivalent of an old man yelling at teenagers to get off my Internet lawn?   :))
Not at all. I often think the same thing. We are here to read the content in this forum and without a fairly convincing spiel about why I should click on a link I often just treat a link as spam or clickbait. You will see me asking questions about something while others scratch their heads thinking I watched some video that was linked. I am fairly over some other social media (not here) where the order of the day is for spammers/clickbaiters to throw links with one or two words into a group and expect to generate revenue clicks. That's not here, but it could be.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Apparently, this thread was locked at some point today. This seems to have been inadvertent and unintended.

You have all been doing great at keeping it courteous and away from prohibited R&P content. Keep up the good work.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Con

Jarhead0331

When in doubt, blame Gusington. That's my philosophy too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Windigo

A peer at last!   :hug: :hug: :hug: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Sir Slash

The way I look at it, the teenagers started it.  >:(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

I'd respectfully request that, if a poster expects us to click on a link, they should be willing to type one or two sentences about WHY we should click on the link.

I agree if the person posting it is some unknown entity.  if Im posting something on this site its either funny, titties or germane to the thread its in.  sometimes I get the trifecta.  :bd:
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Dammit Carl!