Main Menu

GMO Food Safety

Started by airboy, March 12, 2015, 09:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Consumer Reports seems to have drunk the Kool-Aid that GMO crops are "dangerous to human health."  Instead, Consumer Reports and the Consumers Union are recommending "organic crops."

This is both anti-science and anti-fact.  You are much, much more likely to have a problem with food safety and fall ill eating organic foods than you are GMO foods.  In fact, about the safest food you can eat as a US consumer would be from Wal-Mart.

You can read for yourself below.  This also corresponds both with the information that I have read, and everything all of my buddies in the Agriculture School and Food Safety say.

http://geneticliteracyproject.org/2015/03/10/5-reasons-how-consumer-reports-rejects-science-on-gmos/

PS - not arguing about the taste of locally produced, fresh food.  That is a different issue from food safety.

Martok

Yeah, sounds like they've bought into the hysteria, unfortunately.  :idiot2: 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

There are people who still think microwaving food is bad for you.   :uglystupid2:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Greybriar

I just wish I could go to the grocery store and buy a head of cabbage that tastes like cabbage used to taste.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Staggerwing

I think I saw a Triffid outside my window...  :o
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

This isn't for Current Events, it's RP&FW.

You can have all the GMO foods you want. Just don't tell me I have to eat them or don't have a right to know when food is GMed or contains GM ingredients.

I'll decide for myself what is healthy and safe. I don't need ConAgra, Monsanto, etc deciding for me.

If you think big business or big government  has your health and well being at heart, please PM about a bridge I have for sale.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Greybriar on March 12, 2015, 06:48:45 PM
I just wish I could go to the grocery store and buy a head of cabbage that tastes like cabbage used to taste.
Grow it yourself! I do. Best cabbage I've ever had. Made the best sauerkraut too.

LongBlade

Quote from: bbmike on March 12, 2015, 12:52:32 PM
There are people who still think microwaving food is bad for you.   :uglystupid2:

If you saw the eight toes on Mirth's left foot you'd think twice about your next bag of microwave popcorn!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: LongBlade on March 12, 2015, 10:49:25 PM
Quote from: bbmike on March 12, 2015, 12:52:32 PM

If you saw the eight toes on Mirth's left foot you'd think twice about your next bag of microwave popcorn!

Now, now.  He still has ten total.  Just because they're distributed a little different than the rest of us is no reason to make fun of him.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Greybriar

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on March 12, 2015, 09:17:55 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on March 12, 2015, 06:48:45 PM
Grow it yourself! I do. Best cabbage I've ever had. Made the best sauerkraut too.

I used to grow a garden, but not anymore. Providing nutritious vegetables is one of the purposes of grocery stores and produce stands. There should be no need whatsoever to resort to growing one's own vegetables because some fat cat companies are getting rich selling inedible garbage they've pawned off as nutritious vegetables.

The crap that is being offered these days isn't anything like the real thing. Their cabbages aren't fit for human consumption.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.