Pluto, the once and future planet

Started by Airborne Rifles, July 14, 2015, 06:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airborne Rifles

NASA doing a flyby right now. Odds on finding aliens?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/14/us/nasa-new-horizons-pluto-flyby/index.html

Can't wait to see the pictures they send back!

Centurion40

If you were an alien, would you live on Pluto??!!  Me neither!

Apparently aliens like mountainous areas, like the Andes or Switzerland.  They also seem to like Texas.

I would think that they'd prefer coastal California.  Nice weather, hot babes.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Barthheart

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 14, 2015, 07:41:10 AM
I would think that they'd prefer coastal California.  Nice weather, hot babes.

Yeah but they seem to like cows too .... so maybe they are 4-legged....  :crazy2:

Barthheart

Oh... and Pluto is still not a planet.  ;)

JasonPratt

It has a separate orbit around the sun; it will always be a planet to me.

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 14, 2015, 07:41:10 AMIf you were an alien, would you live on Pluto??!!  Me neither!

Hey now, that was not only the site of the underwater base from which the Gamilons launched their radioactive planet bombs to steadily wreck the Earth, but humanity later had an (overrun) outpost of Space Marines there as well!

"Through all the fi-re and the smoke / we will never give up hope!
"If we can win, then the Earth will survive! We'll keep peace alive!
"With our! Star! Blazers!!"
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

LongBlade

Quote from: Barthheart on July 14, 2015, 07:50:14 AM
Oh... and Pluto is still not a planet.  ;)

Hey! You're bringing me down with all this Pluto h8.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

they're doing a live-stream of the fly-by at the science museum here.  I'm taking the kids when we pick up Bayonette from pre-school this evening

http://naturalsciences.org/programs-events/its-pluto-time
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

At the science museum with Bayonet Jr, waiting for images from Pluto to come in. About 600 other people here, too.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Rekim

Hope your not in a rush. With a transmission rate of 1 kb/s it's going to take a while to receive even a few images. ETA of something like 16 months to download all data from the flyby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Horizons#Telecommunications_and_data_handling

bayonetbrant

Yeah, they just did a big telemetry check in. They told us the pictures would be released by NASA tomorrow. It was kind of underwhelming

Bison

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man this is probably the best thing that humanity has going for it right now.

mirth

We have the Ghostbusters reboot.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

And "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."

I still have hope for humanity.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.