Pluto, the once and future planet

Started by Airborne Rifles, July 14, 2015, 06:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

merging with the other topic that I couldn't find on my phone when I was posting from the museum...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MikeGER

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 14, 2015, 08:46:28 PM
Yeah, they just did a big telemetry check in. They told us the pictures would be released by NASA tomorrow. It was kind of underwhelming
Groghead's Physicist on duty says:    ;)

to avoid disappointments or unnecessary travels always check the playbook first
(that saved me from seeting the alarmclock for getting up to see first pictures in the night, when only houskeeping data were send)

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Mission/The-Path-to-Pluto/NH_Obs_Playbook_LORRI-MVIC.pdf

this pdf tells what picture are planed to be recorded and when to get send to Earth
the time stamp in red is the time the picture transmission has completed to arrived at the 70m antenna-dish   

now add 1 (or even up to 2) hours for the scientists to transform/compute the raw-data in pictures ready to be released to the world. 

a (the first, IIRC but with 'airglow' filter) picture with 3.9 km / pixel resolution with full Pluto coverage will arrive at EDT 6:47am
3 pictures with 0.38 km / pixel (the highest resolution) but only parts of Pluto covered will arrive at EDT 12:31pm

at EDT 3pm is the New Horizon Mission News Conference (on NASA TV http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/)  ....i guess they will save the offical release of pictures for that event.

Toonces

I don't care what anyone says, I'm old school and Pluto is a planet.  You don't get to just re-write history dammit!   >:(
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Barthheart

Quote from: Toonces on July 15, 2015, 07:13:54 AM
I don't care what anyone says, I'm old school and Pluto is a planet.  You don't get to just re-write history dammit!   >:(

But it's not history it's physics.... well astrophysics.  :)

Toonces

Don't go getting all technical on me Bartheart!  I know how you are, you'll try to distract us with technobabble.   :knuppel2:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Barthheart

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Toonces

Bison

Quote from: Barthheart on July 15, 2015, 07:17:36 AM

It was a job security move by astronomers and supported by text book publishers to line their already overflowing pockets with more money.  Now get off my grass you crazy scientist!

Barthheart

Quote from: Bison on July 15, 2015, 09:03:24 AM

It was a job security move by astronomers and supported by text book publishers to line their already overflowing pockets with more money.  Now get off my grass you crazy scientist!

Again not a scientist, I'm an engineer who happens to help hold up the torch that throws back the darkness spread by luddites....  :coolsmiley:

Bison

Quote from: Barthheart on July 15, 2015, 09:43:23 AM
Quote from: Bison on July 15, 2015, 09:03:24 AM

Again not a scientist, I'm an engineer who happens to help hold up the torch that throws back the darkness spread by luddites....  :coolsmiley:

So you are just posting your uncredentialed opinions on the size of Pluto's planethood.  Great!  Join the peanut gallery on the side of supporting the demeaning of Pluto's planethood.  I standing with Pluto and his planethood!

mirth

MikeGER

while we wait for the highres pic to get released ...
  ;D