Started by Airborne Rifles, July 14, 2015, 06:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Nefaro

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Bison

I enjoy a good episode of Psyche every now and again.

MikeGER

looks like an interesting wargaming map too :)

i almost see a hex grid overlay of different scales 8) (some borderlines of surface features have a typical shape)

and even as a continus map it wold work with its diversity .... well picture is about 400 km wide (?) (1040 pixel of 0.38km if this is raw data and not a suppixeld one, also its a projection of a bend surface of course) but according to self-similarity in Fractal geometry it can be a template for a 40 km or 4 km wide map  ...on some icy dwarf moon  "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....", or in the year 40k somewhere   

JasonPratt

That's a Total Annihilation or Dawn of War map right there!  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 16, 2015, 01:25:59 PM
That's a Total Annihilation or Dawn of War map right there!  O0
LOL ;D - I was just thinking that! O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

LongBlade

QuoteNew Horizons has provided scientists with surprise after surprise, and among the latest is that Pluto has a tail.

Researchers were tipped off to its existence by the instrument called SWAP, which stands for Solar Wind Around Pluto. The analytic tool picked up readings showing a depression filled with nitrogen ions was lagging behind Pluto, forming a plasma tail. It's unknown at this time exactly what its structure is like or how far it extends. The cause of it is largely attributed to the vulnerabilities Pluto's atmosphere faces due to the planet being so small.

source: http://www.aol.com/article/2015/07/21/new-horizons-flyby-reveals-pluto-has-a-tail/21211810/?icid=maing-grid7|bon1-c|dl13|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-1444106825?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058&;
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

Quote from: LongBlade on July 22, 2015, 01:39:18 PM
QuoteNew Horizons has provided scientists with surprise after surprise, and among the latest is that Pluto has a tail.

Researchers were tipped off to its existence by the instrument called SWAP, which stands for Solar Wind Around Pluto. The analytic tool picked up readings showing a depression filled with nitrogen ions was lagging behind Pluto, forming a plasma tail. It's unknown at this time exactly what its structure is like or how far it extends. The cause of it is largely attributed to the vulnerabilities Pluto's atmosphere faces due to the planet being so small.

source: http://www.aol.com/article/2015/07/21/new-horizons-flyby-reveals-pluto-has-a-tail/21211810/?icid=maing-grid7|bon1-c|dl13|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-1444106825?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058&

Still not a planet....  ;)

MikeGER

Quote from: LongBlade on July 22, 2015, 01:39:18 PM

....to the planet being so small.

...its still a  dwarf -planet

consider KBO "Pluto" was not know before 85 years ago and discoverer Clyde William Tombaugh did not had the means to get more information, even so the strange tilted orbit around the sun gave it away somehow, that its doubtfull to be sorted into the same class of known objects  ...but as long as you have only one item of a new class its just human to 'press it' into an existing class as an ex-centric (pun intended*) member until you find more of the new ones 

young kids, fools, dumb as they come journalists and of course the nostalgic 'Pluto nerds' can still call it shortened a planet
...and just leave out the prefix 'dwarf'. 
From today data its clearly a KBO (Kuiper belt object)

we didn't 'lost' a planet, we gained instead about 5 dwarf-planets and thousend of KBO's ...and not start speaking about whats all part of the Oort cloud in our solar system

btw: is Pluto mentioned in the bible ? ...No?
then it didn't exits at all anyway for a growing number of "Creationists" ;)
...its just a pinhole in a moving sphere of several and you see the fire of hell or shine of heaven shine through it

JasonPratt

As a Christian who keeps an interested (if sometimes exasperated) eye on the "growing" (?) number of Creationists (not sure if their numbers are growing significantly), I've never once seen them hold any of those beliefs (I mean since modern times -- the best science of the pre-19th century doesn't count against people in that time). So if any do, and those numbers are somehow growing, they can't be significantly growing at all.

Also I reiterate from upthread: dwarf-planet, still a planet.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!