Any one planning on buying a new Ivy Bridge Ultrabook or Win8 Tablet?

Started by MarkShot, June 02, 2012, 04:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkShot

Not really because the big unknown is are these things going to work better for games than small form factor laptops have in the past?

My wife just told me she wish we would get one before leaving.  If we did, I know what she wants installed, but I want games.  However, I don't think an Win8 tablets are coming with a built in subwoofer.  :(

MarkShot

The thing is, at least, for DELL's XPS13 every review compared it to the MacBook.  So, one would not have trouble making that argument in front of a jury or mediator.

Also, remember that Apple has a huge amount of cash to plow into p*ss*ng contests.

One recollect the Apple vs Samsung legal wrestling matches.

Bison

It seems to be the shape that they patented.  So if that is the case, I'd expect more boxy shaped competition.

MarkShot

Bison

Quote from: MarkShot on June 09, 2012, 04:30:41 PM
I can see those selling really well!

Heh.  I'm not sure how you patent a shape or copyright a word, but there you have it.  Apple owns a tear shape!

Staggerwing

Quote from: Bison on June 09, 2012, 04:31:39 PM
Quote from: MarkShot on June 09, 2012, 04:30:41 PM
I can see those selling really well!

Heh.  I'm not sure how you patent a shape or copyright a word, but there you have it.  Apple owns a tear shape!

Walmart recently tried to copyright the classic smiley face even though it's been around for almost 50 years.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MarkShot

junk2drive

Quote from: MarkShot on June 19, 2012, 09:15:17 AM

This may the device for ultimate strategy gaming portability.  The portability of an iPad, but the OS upon which most of use play games.

Up to Win 7 that might be true but who knows what will work or be available with Win 8.

MarkShot

There are actually two Surfaces.  RT with an ARM style chip, and PRO with Intel/Ivy Bridge.  If I was buying with games in mind, I would probably stick with PRO.

MarkShot

Well, MSFT has really done something innovative with the cover keyboard.

Doing serious work on the iPad with the virtual keyboard is a pain.  Using your finger as a mouse/cursor is also a pain.  It works, but when you are trying to use your iPad as a laptop ... it doesn't measure up.

Additionally, the keyboard cover with touch pad, greatly increases screen real estate with the iPad dedicates to the virtual keypad.

How this all plays out should be very interesting.  It should be noted that Logitech recently offered a smart cover replacement for the iPad that also was a blue tooth keyboard.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/18/logitech-ultrathin-keyboard-cover/