Main Menu

Zapad 2017

Started by besilarius, September 06, 2017, 06:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 06, 2017, 08:24:36 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 06, 2017, 02:58:03 PM
Does that mean he's a threat if we're flying over him or he's flying over us?  ;D

it was intended as a riff on his time as the aviation officer  ::)

A job I handled brilliantly
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Weren't you the guy that shot-down Bob's Flying Moustache?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 06, 2017, 10:07:22 PM
Weren't you the guy that shot-down Bob's Flying Moustache?

Not an easy feat. The Stache is wily.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

JasonPratt

"And then I'm going to come back here and drink a mug of vodka like it's Chiggy Von Stachetoffen's blood." -- mirth, giving heart to the newbies when they need a big win.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

"Chiggy Von Stachetoffen"... Huh- someone else besides me actually remembers Space: Above and Beyond?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Kristen Cloke was super hot.

Uberhaus

BBC:  Russian military exercise in Belarus raises tension http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41185915

with link to "a fascinating piece" at War on the Rocks https://warontherocks.com/2017/08/what-to-expect-when-youre-expecting-zapad-2017/

mirth

The War on the Rocks article is quite good.  O0

bayonetbrant

If you're interested in keeping an eye on the current Russian/Belorussian exercises (includes some ORBAT info)
https://medium.com/dfrlab/zapadwatch-field-guide-b864cac35dd2
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/13/world/europe/russia-baltics-belarus.html?_r=0

QuoteThe three fake countries at the center of the Zapad-2017 drills, however, have taken on a virtual life of their own online. While it is not clear who is behind it, a clearly pro-Western satirical Twitter account issues regular announcements in the name of the Veishnoriya Ministry of Foreign Affairs and displays pictures of the fake country's passport, flag, national currency and other national symbols, all of them invented.

"We are deeply concerned about the concentration of Belarusian military equipment at the borders of Veishnoriya," reads one message posted by the nonexistent nation's Foreign Ministry. Others include a call for volunteers from "brotherly countries" to repel an invasion from the east and warnings that Veishnoriyans are "warlike beasts" who will not surrender.

Veishnoriya also has a lively account on Vkontakte, the Russian equivalent of Facebook, with posts of beautiful Veishnoriyan women and natives in what is said to be traditional Veishnoriyan clothing. It also has fierce supporters on Facebook, where one fan provided a tongue-in-cheek "historical note" about the nonexistent country's martial spirit: "Throughout its history, Veishnoriya hasn't lost a single war."
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Crossroads

Quote from: Uberhaus on September 11, 2017, 08:12:42 AM
BBC:  Russian military exercise in Belarus raises tension http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41185915

with link to "a fascinating piece" at War on the Rocks https://warontherocks.com/2017/08/what-to-expect-when-youre-expecting-zapad-2017/

Thanks for the link! I tend to follow WotR articles, but had missed that one, probably after having grown weary after all the er.. sensational articles about it. Maybe that's what the Beeb comment is about as well? It is indeed fascinating to find a well thought well written article nowadays.

Having said that; Go Veishnoriya! Never Surrender!  :arr:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

mirth

bayonetbrant